Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Opinion please--Gunto w/Old blade? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18756)

rasjid 13th July 2014 06:18 PM

Opinion please--Gunto w/Old blade?

3 Attachment(s)
This is the same katana from my other post. My blade is the one on the Left. Similar blade was taken for comparison.

Any comment on the blade? Possibility older then the koshirae? I mean mounted with older blade.?

thank you.
rasjid

trenchwarfare 15th July 2014 02:15 PM

Your blade does look to be much older than the fittings. Looks like the tang has been cleaned, so hard to tell. Possibly late Koto period? Fittings are typical WWII military style. Awesome temper line.

spiral 15th July 2014 09:27 PM

I could be wrong Trenchy, but 2 tangs are shown & I think the uncleaned one is the posters?

Lets hope so anyway! ;)

spiral

trenchwarfare 15th July 2014 11:07 PM

You are correct spiral. However, both tangs have been cleaned. rasjid's, as well, just not as aggressively.

spiral 15th July 2014 11:14 PM

Ahh I see!

On those size/quality pics I cant spot the cleaning of the better one on my screen.. :shrug:

But I take your word for it. ;)

Spiral

rasjid 16th July 2014 01:01 AM

Yes, mine is on the left n handle rusty as shown. On the right is someone else in Japanese shop for comparison.
How to stop the rust getting worse? I understand that we should not "clean" the nakago. Maybe preserve it?

trenchwarfare 16th July 2014 01:28 AM

Don't do anything to the nakago. That rust, is considered patina on Japanese blades. It tells you the true age of the sword. Yours has some deep pitting. The nakago should be black, not gray. It has been cleaned. The only thing that is sometimes done, is to burnish the tang, with a piece of bone. This will only remove surface rust scale, so as to be able to read the signature.

estcrh 16th July 2014 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
Don't do anything to the nakago. That rust, is considered patina on Japanese blades. It tells you the true age of the sword. Yours has some deep pitting. The nakago should be black, not gray. It has been cleaned. The only thing that is sometimes done, is to burnish the tang, with a piece of bone. This will only remove surface rust scale, so as to be able to read the signature.

Red rust would be undesirable, the nakago should have an age related patina which is a form of oxidation that will not harm the underlying metal, red rust on the other hand is considered to be live and will continue to eat away at the metal underneath until it is stopped.

trenchwarfare 16th July 2014 03:47 AM

Indeed.

rasjid 16th July 2014 07:17 AM

Is there anything i can do? Anyone? To preserve or protect from rust?

Thanks

estcrh 17th July 2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasjid
Is there anything i can do? Anyone? To preserve or protect from rust?

Thanks

Here is Ian Bottomley's recommended method for treating rust on Japanese armor, you can do something similar with the nakago of your sword,

Quote:

Use a mixture of boiled linseed oil thinned with white spirit in a ratio of approximately 50 / 50 - it isn't critical. The mixture was applied with a paint brush over a small area and allowed to soak in for a few minutes before rubbing the area with a chisel shaped piece of stag antler.

rasjid 18th July 2014 11:42 AM

Noted. Thank you estcrh.
Will keep the info and will do some testing with other material first.

Regards
Rasjid

Rich 18th July 2014 11:53 AM

I would suggest washing it with warm soapy water with a stiff
tooth brush, drying well and then a coating of oil. Don't want to
risk damaging the nakago.

Rich S

ronpakis 18th July 2014 02:06 PM

Nihonto message board

Dear Rasjid,

The pictures are not very helpfull. Difficult to see prperly. I suggest you take a look at 'nihonto message board', ( google search ) this site is simmilar to 'vikingsword' though completely about nihonto and directly related stuff like tsuba's, et cetera. You will find a helpfull community with lots of knowledge about nihonto, including preservation.

Do not touch the nakago if you don't know what you're doing! it could ruin the value! It is not to compare with indonesian weapons where the 'patina' on a peksi or tang is not of very great importance.

Grettings Ron

rasjid 18th July 2014 06:01 PM

Dear Ronpakis and Rich,

Thank you. Well noted. Yes, its indeed different with Indonesian peksi in Keris.
I'm open for suggestion at the mean time its stay as is and oiled then wipe dry.

regards
Rasjid