Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Indo-Arab Matchlock No2 (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13672)

Norman McCormick 17th April 2011 02:39 PM

Indo-Arab Matchlock No2

6 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Second of the two matchlocks I got recently. Different stock and barrel profile. Again low grade silver bands with vestiges of silver inlay in the barrel at the back. There is an extra match holder in front of the pan on this one, any particular reason for this? Foresight missing unfortunately. As usual all info and comments please.
Regards,
Norman.

P.S. There is a number or date on the front band a translation would be great.

Norman McCormick 17th April 2011 11:41 PM

Hi,
Anybody care to have a stab at the script, it looks to be numbers but I just can't make 'head nor tail' of it.
Regards,
Norman.

Atlantia 17th April 2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi,
Anybody care to have a stab at the script, it looks to be numbers but I just can't make 'head nor tail' of it.
Regards,
Norman.

How blooming long is the barrel on that? ;)

Norman McCormick 17th April 2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
How blooming long is the barrel on that? ;)

Hi Gene,
Barrel is 50 1/2 inches total length is 62 1/2 inches. The other one is, barrel 47 inches total length 59 inches. Neither is for the 'faint of heart'. ;)
My Regards,
Norman.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 18th April 2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Hi,
Second of the two matchlocks I got recently. Different stock and barrel profile. Again low grade silver bands with vestiges of silver inlay in the barrel at the back. There is an extra match holder in front of the pan on this one, any particular reason for this? Foresight missing unfortunately. As usual all info and comments please.
Regards,
Norman.

P.S. There is a number or date on the front band a translation would be great.

Great pictures! It looks like a parapet gun off an Indian Fortress ! The script is not arabic but could be Hindi. I never saw two primer pans on a long barrel and suggest this has been a barrel refitted to a different stock perhaps??...

Dom 18th April 2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Hi,
Regards,
Norman.

Hi Norman
seems what you want, but Arabic, I doubt very strongly
so, I cannot do something for you, sorry :shrug:

I didn't found the same site in English, pity because interesting
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nombres_dans_le_monde

à +

Dom

Norman McCormick 18th April 2011 10:52 PM

Hi Dom,
Many thanks for taking the time to have a look. I assumed Arabic because of the origin of the piece so I will keep looking. Thanks again.
My Regards,
Norman.

P.S. An English translation of the site you kindly pointed me towards is available on the menu on the left of the page so it will be a great starting point.

kahnjar1 19th April 2011 01:06 AM

Hi Norman,
My 2c worth.....the second match holder is most probably to hold a spare match cord. I am assuming that it does not move?
Are you sure that there was a fore sight? From the pic it looks as if the "notch" in the bell of the muzzle is raised sufficiently to be seen thru the peep sight.
Regards Stu

Norman McCormick 19th April 2011 08:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Stu,
The second match holder doesn't move so I reckon you're correct re its use. :) I am not sure regarding the front sight so I have attached some more photos that maybe help. Thanks for your interest.
My Regards,
Norman.

Atlantia 19th April 2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Hi Stu,
The second match holder doesn't move so I reckon you're correct re its use. :) I am not sure regarding the front sight so I have attached some more photos that maybe help. Thanks for your interest.
My Regards,
Norman.

Yeah, thats a bit out for sure. Wouldn't worry too much. Lots of these have operational mods to the ends of the barrels.
Especially with thinner walled barrels.
Rattly projectiles and strong loads seem to wear the tops of the end of the barrels more than elsewhere. That foresight could just possibly have been lost during a firing.

kahnjar1 20th April 2011 06:41 AM

Having now seen the extra pics I agree that my previous "idea" is not valid. Bit missing for sure although the foresights I have seen on these muzzleloaders are generally only a peg type.

Norman McCormick 20th April 2011 05:07 PM

Hi Guys,
I reckon the dent in the flared muzzle could explain the loss of the foresight. Thanks again for your interest.
My Regards,
Norman.

ward 20th April 2011 09:33 PM

muzzle sight

they drill a hole and tape a copper or brass pin into it. The iron is not that strong and with firing for a while blows out a chunk. Not unusal with late barrells.