Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unknown War Club for identification ??? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17596)

drac2k 12th September 2013 12:19 AM

Unknown War Club for identification ???

12 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased this unknown root stock,root ball type of war club, with these 3 swords and various other items.Normally I don't put much stock(weak attempt at humor), in these types of clubs, but this one has a feel to it...........it's talking to me;the wrap on the handle is not rope, but twisted cloth, as I have seen on various weapons, used as a talisman.
So, I would request that the forum confirm that I am either delusional or that this is indeed some type of known form of club.

VANDOO 12th September 2013 04:50 AM

THE CLUB LOOKS TO HAVE BEEN MADE FROM A NATURAL WOOD BURL AND A TYPE OF WOOD NOT FOUND IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC AS FAR AS I KNOW. THE FIJI AND MOST OTHER OCEANIC CLUBS MAY BE MADE FROM ROOT BALL BUT I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING BURLS USED.
NORTH AMERICAN CLUBS AND IRISH SHELIELIS OFTEN ARE MADE FROM BURLS. THE CLOTH DOES LOOK LIKE SOMETHING FROM THE PHILIPPINES OR INDO-CHINA COUNTRYS BUT THE BURL DOES NOT. WHAT I AM SAYING IS I DON'T KNOW BUT THESE ARE MY OBSERVATIONS. :D IT WOULD DO THE JOB WHEREVER ITS FROM GOOD LUCK PERHAPS SOMEONE CAN GIVE YOU BETTER INFORMATION.
NICE SWORDS IT MAKES ONE WONDER IF THE CLUB ORIGINATED WHERE THEY DID

drac2k 12th September 2013 05:45 AM

Thanks.It was a strange mix of items.I think that you may be right ,that it could be American Indian as there were some Indian items in the auction ; this came with an African spear and an Oceanic bow.

manteris1 12th September 2013 09:11 PM

i believe it is american indian....................jimmy

drac2k 13th September 2013 02:41 AM

Any idea what tribe or the age ?

Tim Simmons 19th September 2013 10:42 AM

Very nice. Can you give some more information, how heavy? dimensions? I like it. How heavy does a piece of wood have to be to hurt somebody???

drac2k 19th September 2013 02:19 PM

Thanks.It measures approx. 22 inches in length and weighs about 4 or 5 lbs.

Tim Simmons 19th September 2013 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gosh that is heavy. I put these on the scales both 22 inches long, from left to right 2lb 8oz then 2lb 4oz

drac2k 19th September 2013 05:49 PM

Sorry, I didn't put my item on the scale alone, but rather did the very unscientific method of "guesstimation," on the weight.I did my weight alone on the scale and then the weight holding the club; subtracting one from the other.Error due to improper equipment, bad eyes, a wishful imagination and a government education . I imagine that my weights probably fall in line with yours.
I did use a ruler for the length.
P.S. Those are some great clubs that you have !