Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Advice Please (first etching job) (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15853)

A.alnakkas 15th July 2012 09:49 AM

Advice Please (first etching job)

4 Attachment(s)
hey guys,

So prior to doing my first etching job I was reading about the process and tried to do it the best I can. I used hot vinegar (almost to boiling but removed it before it boils) before I etched I cleaned the blade and rubbed it with some fine grit sandpaper (0000... or something :P) then I left the blade in the vinegar for about 30 mins and then I cleaned it with some clean cloth.

Anyways, here is the result; please advice if I can improve it, as its very low contrast atm. Or maybe thats how it is?

Dom 15th July 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
hey guys,

So prior to doing my first etching job I was reading about the process and tried to do it the best I can. I used hot vinegar (almost to boiling but removed it before it boils) before I etched I cleaned the blade and rubbed it with some fine grit sandpaper (0000... or something :P) then I left the blade in the vinegar for about 30 mins and then I cleaned it with some clean cloth.

Anyways, here is the result; please advice if I can improve it, as its very low contrast atm. Or maybe thats how it is?

Mabrouk Lotfi
now, as far as I know, find some old engine oil, that you'll pass with a piece of material on the blade, remove the exceed
it's the advice that I got in Damascus, from my "furbisher",
but I never did it :o
very, very nice blade :D

all the best my Broth.

à +

Dom

Atlantia 15th July 2012 07:36 PM

Hi Lotfy,

On the rare occasion that these are worth etching, it's often difficult to get a pattern to show well.
I've found proper acids and FeCl don't do an effective job and lemon juice seems to work the best.
However, that said, I think you've got a reasonable effect there.

ATB
Gene

A.alnakkas 15th July 2012 08:57 PM

thanks guys!

After etching I used windex (for the ammonia) and then washed it with water. But I am yet to oil it, would vaseline do well?

Guess I wont try to etch it more, would suck to damage it.

Atlantia 16th July 2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

thanks guys!

After etching I used windex (for the ammonia) and then washed it with water. But I am yet to oil it, would vaseline do well?

Guess I wont try to etch it more, would suck to damage it.

Sup Lotfy :)

The steel on these is pretty soft. You can always repolish with some 2000 wet and dry in a few minutes.
Try it stood in lemon juice for a day or two, then wash off and oil.

Best
Gene

A.alnakkas 3rd August 2012 06:52 PM

ooo I dont know how I missed your comment, Gene.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go later. I always thought its dangerous to leave blades in acidic material for a long time?:P

Atlantia 3rd August 2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

ooo I dont know how I missed your comment, Gene.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go later. I always thought its dangerous to leave blades in acidic material for a long time?:P

LOL, keep an eye on it and make sure the level of the liquid is above the top of the blade. mask the hilt with something.
If the level falls below the top of the blade the process will be more harsh at the top of the liquid level. I guess because of the oxygen.