Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An Interesting Chopper....But From Where?? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14991)

CharlesS 30th January 2012 08:21 PM

An Interesting Chopper....But From Where??

7 Attachment(s)
I just picked up this curious chopper. It's very heavy, sits in a stand-up scabbard, mostly exposed, and has a beautifully carved wooden hilt with a heavy brass ferrule.. It is 23in. overall, with an 18in. blade that is rather crudely forged and 3in. wide at its widest point.

When I first saw this one in pics, I thought it might be Indonesian. But having now seen and handled it, with particular reference to the hilt that shares some features that seem similar to some kukri hilts, I am more inclined to think it is a sacrificial chopper from NE India or Nepal.

I am certainly still open to any ideas, and look forward to any insights and feedback.

Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Sajen 30th January 2012 08:35 PM

Hi Charles,

don't know from where it is, but it is beautiful! :) Malaysia?

Regards,

Detlef

kahnjar1 30th January 2012 08:52 PM

Not exactly my field BUT..............the pommel looks like a Lotus so could be either SE Asian OR India/Nepal/Tibet. I would think most likely from a Buddhist country. A most unusual and lovely piece. Well done!
Stu

laEspadaAncha 30th January 2012 11:26 PM

Something about that scabbard recalls to my eye some of the more stylized lantaka stands. That, combined with the pommel (again to my untrained eye) appear to be Indonesian. :shrug:

ETA: I really like the profile of that blade... very appealing to the eye. :)

Rick 30th January 2012 11:59 PM

I lean more toward Southeast Asian/Malay than India . :shrug:
The sprouting hilt motif is quite Indonesian, IMO .

I could even be talked into suggesting Sumatra . :o

Nathaniel 31st January 2012 03:50 AM

Wow, love it when something turns up most haven't seen! Beautiful piece! Thanks for sharing Charles!

VVV 31st January 2012 12:13 PM

Interesting chopper.
Sumatra (like Rick said) and after WWII IMHO.

Michael

CharlesS 2nd February 2012 04:00 PM

Michael,

I think this is some sort of tool chopper(perhaps sacrificial). It seems rather awkward as a weapon, especially the weight by Indonesian standards. The lack of quality of the blade, other than thickness, seems to add confirmation to that, and I can't imagine that it is more then 70 or so years old, but clearly has seen heavy use.

Can you post something from your collection with a similar style hilt for reference? Thanks in advance.

Rick 2nd February 2012 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sumatran

VVV 2nd February 2012 06:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Charles,

I don't have anything exactly resembling but besides the hilt the open and curved scabbard is a tell for Sumatra too.

Michael

PS Here is the closest I could find but I have seen more resembling scabbards to yours at for instance a well-known SE Asian dealer's web site.

CharlesS 2nd February 2012 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am very familiar with the Sumatran hilts that Rick has posted(and thanks!),
but structurally, doesn't this kukri hilt have as much or more in common with the chopper hilt???

I do see alot more similarities with VVV's examples.

Henk 2nd February 2012 09:39 PM

It is Sumatran as already said. This style of hilt is found on keris panjang.
Take a look at this thread. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...xecution+keris

Rick 3rd February 2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I am very familiar with the Sumatran hilts that Rick has posted(and thanks!),
but structurally, doesn't this kukri hilt have as much or more in common with the chopper hilt???

I do see alot more similarities with VVV's examples.

I think it comes down to the bifurcated appearance of the Sumatran examples that have been shown .
when I look at the handle of your chopper I see a sprouting foliage/vegetable motif .
When I look at the kukri hilt you show, I do not see that resemblance; I see rings concavely tapered into each other .

Then there is the hilt material itself; Sandalwood ?
Very light colored for Kukri Country . :shrug: :)

CharlesS 3rd February 2012 12:31 PM

Thanks for the pics and input guys!

Atlantia 18th February 2012 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a good looking piece Charles.
The 'sprouting flower' type hilt seems to be widely used.