Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Christmas Presents!!! Kris & Barong (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28435)

SanibelSwassa 16th December 2022 07:21 PM

Christmas Presents!!! Kris & Barong

4 Attachment(s)
Merry Christmas my fellow blade enthusiasts!
I have a couple of new Christmas additions to share for your enjoyment.

Rick 16th December 2022 11:21 PM

Jealous,
I covet that Malay Sundang extremely. :cool:

Very nice acquisitions. :)

werecow 17th December 2022 01:12 AM

Ooh la la, very nice.

I also made an Asia-themed Christmassy purchase today: a Nepalese kora. Not received yet, but looking forward to it.

Battara 17th December 2022 03:38 AM

Nice pieces. I LOVE the Malay sundang. The Sulu kris is nice too.

And the barong looks like it deflected 2 bullets.

Looking forward to the kora!

JeffS 17th December 2022 04:22 AM

Nice. For the Malay piece, the pommel would be a later Moro addition?

SanibelSwassa 17th December 2022 08:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS (Post 277194)
Nice. For the Malay piece, the pommel would be a later Moro addition?

The hilt on the Malay Kris appears to be original and the collar is correctly slotted for where the copper retaining strap would have connected the asang-asang, although it is missing. The style of the silver wrap and the carving of the pummel is also consistent with Malay kris. I will post a couple of others with similar characteristics from my collection and a more detailed pic of the subject kris.

On the Barong, the bullet idea is a real possibility as the blade is very well forged and the two “divots” would have been clear imperfections. The blade actually has a very defined nickel lightning pattern that runs up the blade length.

Super excited for all three additions!

Thank you all for the commentsÂ… Merry Christmas and happy hunting!!!

kronckew 18th December 2022 04:27 PM

I suspect the two bullets were from a revolver. Very cool detail tho. A very good Xmas present.

JeffS 19th December 2022 11:41 PM

Quote:

The hilt on the Malay Kris appears to be original
The reason I asked is that the kakatua has such a similar form, including the "wings", as seen on Moro hilts. The (admittedly few) Malay sundang I have seen in photos have had more abstract kakatua forms. How parallel was the development of sundang and kris? The general theme I've read here is that the kris evolved from the keris, gaining size and heft to become a slashing weapon as it adapted to Moro fighting style and requirements. Are Malay sundang a copy of moro kris or did they evolve closely together?

Battara 20th December 2022 04:24 AM

Jeff there were Moros and Moro trade with Borneo and the Southeast Asian peninsula, so yes Moro influence is there.

Also, the Malay kris blade is also typical form for Malay kris' as well as the pommel form.

One more thing: did you swap out the silver clamp to the new Malay sundang?

Gavin Nugent 4th March 2023 01:21 AM

The pommel is true and correct for the Sundang, it is a commonly known style/type.

SanibelSwassa 7th March 2023 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara (Post 277281)
Jeff there were Moros and Moro trade with Borneo and the Southeast Asian peninsula, so yes Moro influence is there.

Also, the Malay kris blade is also typical form for Malay kris' as well as the pommel form.

One more thing: did you swap out the silver clamp to the new Malay sundang?

Sorry for the late reply… no the second sundang pictured above is a different blade. I don’t “yet” possess the skill to work the silver properly to replace the asang.