Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Armenian? Sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1445)

ariel 6th November 2005 01:04 AM

Armenian? Sword

This one just ended and was not re-listed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
But just in case: I am not critiquing it in any way, shape or form. On the contrary: I am fascinated by it and want to know more.
The blade is flat and probably quite thin, and the decoration looks "Qajari" to me. The "qama" like handle would easily fit with this style.
But: don't the figures look kind of Satanic or is it just my perverse imagination?
As to the inscription, I looked on the Omniglot and could find no match. Armenian script? Does not look like it....
A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma (with apologies to Sir Winston, not the Andrew one, but Churchill) :confused: :confused: :confused:
Any thoughts?

Battara 6th November 2005 03:17 AM

Well, there is one figure that I would question as looking kind of Satanic. Or he may represent Alexandar the Great, who is known as the "Horned One" in that part of the world. Yeah, Qajar also comes to mind.

RSWORD 6th November 2005 07:52 PM

The images take on an almost caracaturish or cartoonish look and perhaps done as imitation of Qajar etching one finds on helmets and blades. I have seen devilish figures on Qajar etching before. The script may be done by an illiterate hand again in imitation of something else. I have a shaska with a blade that has a cartoonish "balloon" head that stylistically resembles the work on this blade. I have seen this "balloon" head on a kilij blade as well. What I do not know is if this imitation is a poorly done attempt at mimickry, ie mimicking is the best form of flattery, or, if it has a slightly sarcastic taste to it and a form of amusement to the blade owner. I also do not know what culture it would be from but I have seen this style in enough blades that it is quite interesting.

Jens Nordlunde 6th November 2005 10:03 PM

Do you believe in this sword?

Michael Blalock 7th November 2005 12:11 AM

What about that bird's eye pattern underneath the engraving? It loods like it was stamped in.

ariel 7th November 2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Well, there is one figure that I would question as looking kind of Satanic. Or he may represent Alexandar the Great, who is known as the "Horned One" in that part of the world. Yeah, Qajar also comes to mind.

You mean Colin Farrell? :eek:
And the fat chicken is Angelina Jolie? :eek: :eek:

Rick 7th November 2005 12:43 AM

Judging by the action on this forum of late we must be in a very interesting moon phase ............. :rolleyes: :D

Battara 7th November 2005 10:24 AM

Not to stray too far off topic (well...actually yeah) I think Ariel brings up a good point, though I wouldn't call Colin Farril Satan....maybe more a little demon. :eek: Angelina Jolie is another story... :D

ariel 7th November 2005 06:31 PM

Well, boys, let's behave! ;)
Anyway, any idea what is the language of the inscription?

Andrew 7th November 2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Not to stray too far off topic (well...actually yeah) I think Ariel brings up a good point, though I wouldn't call Colin Farril Satan....maybe more a little demon. :eek: Angelina Jolie is another story... :D

Angelina Jolie is, in my humble opinion, appropriately named. :D

ariel 7th November 2005 09:02 PM

Andrew, I thought at least you were the adult here!
What's going on, boys? Are you getting pubertal again? Get a grip on yourself ( NO! NOT THAT WAY!!!)
Think "sword", think "alphabet".....

Tim Simmons 7th November 2005 09:24 PM

Think she gives me a big one :o sorry :o

Rick 7th November 2005 10:41 PM

Okay

Enough is enough with the innuendo ..... let there be no more talk of turgidity ! :rolleyes:

Seriously this ain't Vaudeville here guys .
Now let's all take off our floppy clown shoes , rubber noses and get back on topic .

Otherwise I'm reporting this one to the Ministry of Silly Threads .

Andrew 7th November 2005 11:02 PM

:o

Rivkin 8th November 2005 12:00 AM

Well, I can only say that all of the people from northern caucasus that I've shown this sword to, were saying the same thing as I am "looks like cyrillic with modifications" and were pointing the fingers towards the neighboring tribe.

Battara 8th November 2005 05:20 AM

Well the clowns who made this....oops! (sorry - :o ).....I mean the folks who made this look like they used a cross between Hebrew and Cyrrilic. :confused: