Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SEA Sword ? With hairpin lamination ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7321)

katana 16th October 2008 09:26 PM

SEA Sword ? With hairpin lamination ?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,
just finished on eBay, was suggested a form of a Klewang that has had a re-hilt (suggested by one observer as a parasol handle). It looks as if there are signs of hairpin lamination :shrug: Lack of knowledge prevented me bidding enough to win. I wondered about other peoples opinions.

Thank you for all comments.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

Regards David

VVV 16th October 2008 10:10 PM

It's an Aceh Sikin Panjang blade with a very odd, outside the culture, hilt.
It doesn't look like a useful combination "tool-wise".

Michael

katana 16th October 2008 10:43 PM

Thank you Micheal :) ,
it was the blade I really liked, is it likely 'hairpin' lamination ? I agree the hilt is an oddity and its overall shape is not really suited to the sword's functional use.
I have always associated 'hairpin' lamination with Oriental origins, if this (the blade) is this type ..did the bladesmiths of Aceh produce this blade or was it, perhaps, imported ?

Kind regards David

VVV 17th October 2008 06:15 AM

I assume that this blade was locally made as I have never heard about any imported Sikin blades.

Michael

kronckew 17th October 2008 07:06 AM

i lost that one by a pound, the blade was what i was after, the handle someone had commented on as being a burmese parasol handle. ah, well, wasn't going to risk more especially when the postage from germany was not mentioned. i had visions of putting a more culturally correct grip on it.

the laminations look more like just straight laminated steel, not hairpins.

nice blade, whoever put the parasol handle on it was in an altered state at the time...i initially thought it was a large bread knife :D

katana 17th October 2008 02:04 PM

Hi Micheal,
thanks again for your insight :) .

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
the blade was what i was after, the handle someone had commented on as being a burmese parasol handle. ah, well, wasn't going to risk more especially when the postage from germany was not mentioned. i had visions of putting a more culturally correct grip on it.

Hi Kronckew,
'great minds'... and all that. I too was thinking the same ...the only slight problem I had with the blade was, it looked to be 'overly cleaned'. The postage was £14 .... not overly expensive. I was thinking of removing the handle and selling it, I'm sure a parasol collector (strange what some people collect :rolleyes: ) or similar would be interested ...and the 'funds' used towards a genuine replacement ;)
I wasn't convinced of the Klewang 'connection', but felt certain it was of SEA origins. The 'parasol' handle was stated as Burmese, whether the handle was fitted recently, to sell or was part of its legitimate history is a mystery....but feel its overall shape would not provide a good 'grip' for the wielder.

Kind Regards David

josh stout 17th October 2008 05:57 PM

The blade looks nice, but I don't see the hairpin folds in it. I have seen a similar blade from Aceh with definite hairpin folds that I wanted quite badly, but the price was too high for me. I have often wondered about it though. The Acenese blade shape is quite reminiscent of Tibetan things, and I have wondered if it does not represent an early form that died out in other regions leaving a few isolated spots like Aceh and Tibet with the older style.

Still it seems convergent evolution is a more parsimonious explanation.
Josh