Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Not the first time this guy was robbed (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18315)

josh stout 20th March 2014 03:57 PM

Not the first time this guy was robbed

A recent news article described the theft of "medieval armor and a stuffed snow leopard". European armor is outside my specialty, but I can say with 100% certainty that it is not medieval. I also have a strong feeling that the leopard is not a snow leopard (say 90%), and if it is, having a recently stuffed one, as this appears to be, is much more of a crime than the robbery :mad:

I hope this comes out in the trial. The web is talking about the stupidity of teenagers, but I see some world class adult stupidity compounded by every reporter who unquestioningly passes on the story without mentioning fraud and a possible violation of the endangered species act.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/14...-in-at-mansion

Matchlock 20th March 2014 04:25 PM

Hi Josh,

My first thought was:
Whoever expects such a newly-rich guy :cool: :eek: without any profound cultural and/or historical, let alone weaponry-related, background to own a genuine medieval suit of armor must be nuts! :D :p
So let those 'thieves' be happy with what they grabbed - it will, in all probability, not really do any harm to either history or weaponry.

Best,
Michael

A Senefelder 20th March 2014 04:36 PM

The " armour " ( two great helmets and a shield ) shown in the article picture appears to be recently made from one of several Spanish manufactures for display purposes only. Unless there's something not being shown in the photo, the " medieval armour " accounts for about $300 from any one of a hundred ebay resellers.

Matchlock 20th March 2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Senefelder
The " armour " ( two great helmets and a shield ) shown in the article picture appears to be recently made from one of several Spanish manufactures for display purposes only. Unless there's something not being shown in the photo, the " medieval armour " accounts for about $300 from any one of a hundred ebay resellers.

Thanks for confirming my assumption, so much for that. :rolleyes:

m

M ELEY 20th March 2014 09:00 PM

The snow leopard was probably faked as well. Perhaps a plush pink panther toy!- :D :cool: ;)

fernando 20th March 2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M ELEY
The snow leopard was probably faked as well. Perhaps a plush pink panther toy!- :D :cool: ;)

Let's hope so, Captain ... for the sake of snow leopards, not the bimbo owner :rolleyes: :D

Matchlock 20th March 2014 09:18 PM

Oh yeah, it's a cruel scandal how mankind extirpates other species, often before they were even given the chance to get 'detected' by representatives of the very same self-proclaimed so-called 'summit of creation' ..

m

josh stout 24th March 2014 05:18 PM

On the topic of antiques, fakes and theft, I am trying to figure out the chain of crime and who is at fault for what parts. If the buyer paid thousands and was robbed of something with a replacement cost of hundreds and a resale value of next to nothing, is it grand larceny? What if buying and selling the thing is illegal on its own, such as some artifacts, or endangered animals? If I buy $250000 of fake heroin, and someone steals it from me thinking it is $100 of caffein, but it is really sugar, who committed what crime? I know this is philosophical, but these things come up in the antique collecting community.

Matchlock 24th March 2014 05:50 PM

And may I add: these questions come up quite rightly!

It's exactly this kind of straight and analytical thinking that stirs up a society gone replete and complacent.
Who is who in this world full of intertwined coherences, and who is responsible for exactly what?

Too philosophical for a forum about old weapons? No, this is in the right place absolutely.

Best,
Michael