Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1908 PATTERN CAVALRY TROOPER'S SWORD (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15249)

Alexander 13th March 2012 10:57 AM

1908 PATTERN CAVALRY TROOPER'S SWORD

12 Attachment(s)
Dear friends. I want to ask you:
1. In what year have removed from arms troopers sword 1908?
2. I looked factory Pooley sword and they exist till now. Factory Weyersberg, Krischbaum in such kind doesn't make (only officer). Whether these swords NCO'S could belong?
3. What was a way of fastening of a belt to middle band?
Respect, Alexander.

asomotif 13th March 2012 01:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander
Dear friends. I want to ask you:
1. In what year have removed from arms troopers sword 1908?
2. I looked factory Pooley sword and they exist till now. Factory Weyersberg, Krischbaum in such kind doesn't make (only officer). Whether these swords NCO'S could belong?
3. What was a way of fastening of a belt to middle band?
Respect, Alexander.

Hello Alexander,

Finally a thread on this nice sword.
I am not an expert, but I like this sword specifically because it has been in actual use during WW1. Your example is dated 1912 ('12)

1. : I am sure they are still being carried by "the Kings Own Royal Horse Artillery". as a troopers sword / lower ranks.
3. : Normally they should have 2 round loops on the scabbard for attaching them to the saddle with a special horseshoe pouch/swordcarrier.

Sawubona 11th April 2012 02:07 AM

Not particularly important, but I'm reading the date as "1914" with the "12" as the month (Dec) rather than the year. It seems to me that the "4" of the "'14" can be just made out on the ricasso photo, preceded by a "12" indicating the month.

thinreadline 26th April 2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawubona
Not particularly important, but I'm reading the date as "1914" with the "12" as the month (Dec) rather than the year. It seems to me that the "4" of the "'14" can be just made out on the ricasso photo, preceded by a "12" indicating the month.

That is the correct reading of ther issue date .

thinreadline 26th April 2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif
Hello Alexander,

Finally a thread on this nice sword.
I am not an expert, but I like this sword specifically because it has been in actual use during WW1. Your example is dated 1912 ('12)

1. : I am sure they are still being carried by "the Kings Own Royal Horse Artillery". as a troopers sword / lower ranks.
3. : Normally they should have 2 round loops on the scabbard for attaching them to the saddle with a special horseshoe pouch/swordcarrier.

That should read : King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery.