Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Damascus Kukri (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25250)

Battara 1st September 2019 07:22 AM

Damascus Kukri

4 Attachment(s)
Greetings Folks,

Here is my newest kukri (thanks Rsword). It has a laminated steel blade with one large fuller and smaller ones up top. The hilt is chiseled steel i floral motif. I packed the recesses with lime (remnants of lime was already in the hilt).

Damascus bladed kukri's appear to be rare, and this one I suspect might be from the early to mid 1800s (or earlier according to Rick's informant).

Enjoy.

francantolin 1st September 2019 11:15 AM

Waouh,
Lovely !
Really nice piece !

Will you use sandstone 800/100 for clean/sand it ?

Battara 1st September 2019 07:27 PM

I was luck - it was already polished. Just had to use acetone to get off the old oils. then I etched the blade and limed the hilt.

Also I forgot that it could also be from the late 1700s during the Indian Mutiny.

Ian 1st September 2019 10:51 PM

Very nice kukri! Congrats.

Ferguson 2nd September 2019 01:48 AM

What an outstanding piece. Congrats!

Steve

RAMBA 2nd September 2019 10:43 AM

This is a nice kukri that I would put to the Indian Mutany period based on other similar kukri with steel hilt, full tang peened arrangement, fullering and laminated steel. 1857–59 or there about.

"Indian Mutiny, also called Sepoy Mutiny or First War of Independence, widespread but unsuccessful rebellion against British rule in India in 1857–59. Begun in Meerut by Indian troops (sepoys) in the service of the British East India Company, it spread to Delhi, Agra, Kanpur, and Lucknow."

Didn't bid on this one as I have another two inbound.

Sajen 2nd September 2019 05:10 PM

Hi Jose,
Very nice piece! Blade is after my fancy too dark etched, or too strong, I would repolish the blade a little bit. Anyway, congrats!

Regards,
Detlef

mariusgmioc 2nd September 2019 06:28 PM

Very good and rare aquisition! :)
However, this is not a kris so the etching should be very discrete... if any.
I suspect it was over-etched to make the pattern discernable in the photos, and facilitate the sale.
So, I agree with Detlef and suggest you polish it a little. The pattern should be only visible in reflected light.

Battara 2nd September 2019 10:52 PM

Thanks folks.

I will go back and repolish and re-etch the blade to where it won't be so dark and a little more subtle.

Also I'll also get back to you on the measurements as well.

MacCathain 2nd September 2019 11:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here I have its cousin from the tin chirra branch of the family. The laminations are certainly visible in the right light, but I haven't brought it out through etching.

There are a few spots on the grip where there is a gray/white residue (you can see this in the close-up . . . next to the ring on the concave side of the grip).

Please educate me: What's the story behind liming the grip?

Battara 3rd September 2019 10:13 PM

MacCaithan thanks so much for posting - you have now confirmed what kind of scabbard should I choose to make one for my kukri.

The "white" parts of your hilt appear to be silver plating over the steel. I figure that the lime packing is for visual effect, that it brings out the designs better (like that of some Moro scabbards).

Also I forgot to add the lengths: 15 inches over all (37.5 cm).

BTW - I LOVE your kukri example. :D

MacCathain 3rd September 2019 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Battara. The silver bits in the design that contrast with the darkened steel areas constitute what I think could be classed as niello decoration, and they are, indeed, silver.

The residue that I mentioned is different; it looks a bit like old toothpaste in the small crevices (the deposits are not as easy to see in the image as I had hoped they would be). There are only a few places where these are visible, so they may not be residual decoration (perhaps they're just toothpaste).

The scabbard struck me as being unusually plain for this well-executed kukri. I would have expected something a bit more flash. Even the chape has been given the darkened steel treatment, though, so I believe it is the original scabbard. Here's a better view of what the face of it looks like.

This kukri measures 15.75" straight from the tip to the farthest end of the pommel cap. The grip is among the smallest in my small collection at only 4" on center.

Battara 4th September 2019 02:09 AM

Yup that "toothpaste" is lime.

Also thank you for the scabbard picture.

Battara 4th September 2019 04:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Is this better?

MacCathain 4th September 2019 10:35 PM

Your photos are great. When I said "the deposits are not as easy to see in the image as I had hoped they would be," I was talking about the photo that I had posted. :o

Battara 4th September 2019 11:29 PM

Oh my re-etch is not in response to you, MacCathain, but to the feedback from others.

Not sure if I should polish even more, or re-etch even lighter. :confused:

Rick 5th September 2019 02:15 AM

My 2 cents, polish more; and what is the brown color coming up when you etch?
Maybe try a different etchant to avoid the brown tones? :shrug:

It is a very nice old warrior.

mariusgmioc 5th September 2019 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
My 2 cents, polish more; and what is the brown color coming up when you etch?
Maybe try a different etchant to avoid the brown tones? :shrug:

It is a very nice old warrior.

Or maybe don't etch it at all. The pattern should still be visible.
:)

Battara 6th September 2019 06:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the final version. I just took 600 grit and gently took off the yellow and brown. The picture of the damascus is done at an angle.

Thank you for your advice and help folks. :D

RAMBA 6th September 2019 08:21 AM

Looks good.

David R 6th September 2019 08:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Properly speaking, I would say it's a laminated or watered steel blade rather than Damascus, a term normally reserved for Wootz or Pattern Welded blades. It is a very nice piece indeed, and I find the idea of "liming" the hilt to bring out the pattern very interesting.
Here is my chiselled steel hilt for comparison... There's not a lot of them about.

Battara 6th September 2019 06:03 PM

Great piece for comparison Dave, thanks!

Yeah lime on kukris was new to me too, but steel doesn't produce that kind of oxidation, and it's not dirt either.