Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A rare Luzon Salakot (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19706)

Gavin Nugent 13th March 2015 03:38 PM

A rare Luzon Salakot

4 Attachment(s)
A fine silver embellished 19th century Luzon Salakot or district chief's hat.

A fine and recent addition to our hear gear collection and a big thank you to Nathaniel for pointing me in the right direction and Lorenz for the confirmation.

I hope you enjoy this unusual piece.

Gavin

VANDOO 13th March 2015 09:43 PM

MUST HAVE BELONGED TO THE KAISER OF THE PHILIPPINES. :D REMINDS ME OF THE SPIKES ON WW1 GERMAN HELMETS. SPIKES ON HEADGEAR ARE ALSO COMMON IN THAILAND, BURMA AND OTHER COUNTRIES IN THE REGION.
VERY COOL! :cool:

Robert 14th March 2015 06:51 AM

A Luzon Pickelhaube :D A wonderful addition to your collection and in such great condition!! Will you be polishing the wood and silver up a bit?

Best,
Robert

Gavin Nugent 14th March 2015 08:25 AM

Thanks guys.

I will not be touching the patina in anyway.

Gavin

Iain 14th March 2015 10:25 AM

Lovely piece, thanks for sharing. I always appreciate viewing even if I don't have an insightful comment to contribute. :)

Sajen 17th March 2015 06:39 PM

Very nice piece Gavin! :)

Battara 17th March 2015 10:59 PM

This is a great example. Most of these seem to. E Tagalog and in museums. Yours is in great condition. I would only polish the silver (which is meant to be polished).

Only elite men important to the Spanish government had the privilege of wearing them.

Maurice 25th March 2015 03:43 PM

A lovely piece and great to see it in uncleaned condition!

Rare find and in very good condition!

Regards,
Maurice

kino 28th March 2015 07:31 PM

What a beautiful hat. Is it made from a gourd or a hollowed out wood?
The silver spike is amazing.
Congrats!

Gavin Nugent 1st April 2015 12:04 AM

Thanks Gents.

Battara, the silver, I will leave, the next custodian can choose what they want to do there.

Maurice, a lucky find, just the right place at the right time...I never ever expected to see one.

Kino, I was pondering that for a while and I think you hit the nail on the head! It does appear to be a gourd outer casing with a complex rattan inner.

Thanks

Gavin

Battara 1st April 2015 01:16 AM

I have seen these made of gourd, wood, canvas, felt, turtle shell, and even porcupine fish, all with some silver on them.

Woven complex rattan work on the inside is common to all.

What is nice is that yours is complete, even the chin tie. :)

kino 1st April 2015 02:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
What is nice is that yours is complete, even the chin tie. :)

I question the leather chin strap...to me it doesn't seem to be original to the hat, it could be a replacement. It has a brass ring, which I think should be silver to match the rest of the embellishments. That being said, it's still a very lovely piece that if it were mine, it would be my Sunday go to meeting hat.

Here's one that I found a couple of months back, woven rattan with a tiny spike.

Gavin Nugent 2nd April 2015 01:24 AM

Kino,

I personally think the entire chin strap, antler toggles and the end pieces are reproduced, I suspect faithfully from what may have once resided there.

Gavin

Battara 3rd April 2015 04:20 AM

Well upon a second look, you are right it is leather.

I believe that these were originally made of woven cloth cord, and yes often with silver pieces matching the silver on the rest of the salakot.