Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Really Nice Katar For comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16703)

Lew 20th January 2013 02:03 PM

Really Nice Katar For comment

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Seems as of late I have acquired a sweet tooth for katars. Here is my latest purchase a buy now on eBay. It is quite clean very well executed fullers and is most probably wootz. Comments welcome :).

Sajen 20th January 2013 02:17 PM

Very nice katar, love the fullers on the blade. Hope that I don't get infected! :D

Ferguson 20th January 2013 02:48 PM

That is really nice!

Jens Nordlunde 20th January 2013 04:20 PM

Hi Lew,
Yes it is a nice katar - congratulations.
Without hand on I would say Deccan 18th century. Polished blades can be wootz, and often are, but not always.
Jens

Jim McDougall 20th January 2013 04:26 PM

nice

Lew 24th January 2013 08:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The katar arrived today. I gave it a light cleaning and etched the fullers. A lovely wootz pattern popped. The katar itself is super high quality and beefy with a wide grip even for my large hands :). Will take some clearer pics tomorrow.

Lew 25th January 2013 02:21 PM

I etched and burnished inside of the fullers. I buffed around the edges and the tip to bring out some more contrast between the two areas. See new picture above.

A.alnakkas 25th January 2013 02:27 PM

Very nice Lew! would love to see your whole collection of katars :-))

Lew 25th January 2013 05:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Very nice Lew! would love to see your whole collection of katars :-))

Salaams Lotfy

Here you go :)

A.alnakkas 25th January 2013 05:38 PM

Very beautiful thank you! are they all wootz?

Lew 25th January 2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Very beautiful thank you! are they all wootz?

The top group are wootz and the two left in the middle photo are also. The other two center right are pattern welded. The bottom photo the copper hilted one is wootz. The last two from southern India and they have Portuguese sword blades circa early 1700s?

A.alnakkas 25th January 2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew
The top group are wootz and the two left in the middle photo are also. The other two center right are pattern welded. The bottom photo the copper hilted one is wootz. The last two from southern India and they have Portuguese sword blades circa early 1700s?

A good variety! I'll make a topic soon and try to have people share their jambiya collections... you have inspired me ;-)

Sajen 26th January 2013 11:16 AM

Wow, what a nice collection! :eek:

How you display them?

Regards,

Detlef

Lew 26th January 2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Wow, what a nice collection! :eek:

How you display them?

Regards,

Detlef

As of now they are in a cabinet draw I have a small 9x10 foot room and many different things on display by region.