Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Technical problem scabbard (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21150)

Kubur 2nd March 2016 11:35 PM

Technical problem scabbard

1 Attachment(s)
Dear All,

I have a small problem.
Is it possible to remove a silver fitting from a scabbard to fit it correctly?
It's a scabbard from an Ottoman bichaq and the tip of the scabbard was fixed and glued(?)... Is it possible to reverse this bad reparation?

Thanks

Kubur

Gavin Nugent 2nd March 2016 11:38 PM

It certainly would be possible.

Post images to help with suggestions.

Gavin

ariel 2nd March 2016 11:55 PM

My guess it depends largely on the glue.

Shakethetrees 3rd March 2016 05:29 AM

I've often found a gentle application of heat will soften some glues and even break the glue/metal bond of epoxy.

The trick is to go slow and heat to the point of smoke and then wrap a rag around it and wiggle it around a bit. Reheat if necessary.

If it's done correctly the glue itself will be altered but the wooden liner shouldn't char too badly. The trick is to go slowly and carefully. This works best with pitch type adhesives, shellac, gum obtained from trees, etc. if you're sure a shellac or organic heat activated resin was used, initially heat only where it can freely flow out. If it is heated where the expanding resin is trapped it can distort or split the metal mounts or, in an extreme case, explode! (Had this happen with a piece of silver I was experimenting with many years ago! It sounded like a .45 going off! I was lucky, it blew out at eye level but pointing away from my face!)

Epoxy can be urged to let go as well, but a slightly higher heat is necessary.

Another alternative would be to dribble solvent down the metal. You have to have some idea of what the adhesive is for this so work properly.

If you're OK with doing a complete rebuild of the scabbard you can soak the whole thing and remove the liner in pieces. Once the solvent vaporizes it can be reglued with white glue.

Kubur 3rd March 2016 09:12 AM

As always very usefull, thank you very much shakethethree.

Subsidiary question, when you use Silvo or Mirror to clean and polish the silver. This product is quite aggressive and let some (acid) white marks.
How do you remove these white marks?
Thanks!!

Jens Nordlunde 3rd March 2016 06:09 PM

The white traces/remains can be removed with a tooth bruch.

Shakethetrees 3rd March 2016 06:18 PM

Use a little denatured alcohol on the toothbrush if the polish residue is dry and caked into the details.

kahnjar1 3rd March 2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
As always very usefull, thank you very much shakethethree.

Subsidiary question, when you use Silvo or Mirror to clean and polish the silver. This product is quite aggressive and let some (acid) white marks.
How do you remove these white marks?
Thanks!!

Short answer is do not use Silvo. There is a product on the market by GODDARDS called Silver Cloth. Simply rub with that. No residue of any sort. Your local Supermarket should stock it.
Stu

Kubur 26th April 2016 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

Problem solved with...WD40.
I didnt know tat it was a solvant for glue.

Best,
Kubur

Shakethetrees 27th April 2016 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi guys,

Problem solved with...WD40.
I didnt know tat it was a solvant for glue.

Best,
Kubur

It's a remarkable solvent and pretty benign.

Battara 27th April 2016 03:38 PM

Looks so much better!

ariel 27th April 2016 09:36 PM

Never would have thought about this " trusty anti-rusty":-))))

Stroke of genius.
Looks orders of magnitude better now!!!

Kubur 28th April 2016 06:59 AM

Thanks all
Oh it's not a stroke of genius.
Just an observation:
I was cleaning a jambiya when I noticed some old orange glue coming outof the joint between the grip and the blade.
And I was thinking to myself woaw is it the dw40 who did that?
I tried with the kard and then...miracle!
Best,
Kubur

ariel 28th April 2016 11:15 AM

Well, apples fall from the trees all the time, but it took Newton to understand the significance of the bump on his noggin':-)

Good job, I'll remember the trick.

mariusgmioc 28th April 2016 03:25 PM

Of course WD40 is a solvent as it is based on White Spirit (AKA Stoddard Agent or Petroleum Distilate).

It is basically White Spirit with some oils added.

It also works great for cleaning most paints and waxes.