Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ankus (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15540)

Timo Nieminen 7th May 2012 02:55 AM

Ankus

6 Attachment(s)
For some reason - perhaps I just think they are cute - I've been picking up the occasional ankus here and there. Some are modern, but still cute IMO.

Nathaniel 7th May 2012 04:17 AM

Very nice collection you have going there Timo! Thanks for sharing! I would love to pick up one someday too, but a Thai one :)

Timo Nieminen 20th May 2012 03:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are three more! The first two escaped my last photography session (I must get a better camera!); the 3rd is new.

The first one was my favourite. It might be replaced by the new one (the 3rd one). The 3rd one is supposedly a WW2 CBI bringback.

The middle one is, of course, modern. I haven't seen any old ankus with an axe blade like this (have you?).

VANDOO 20th May 2012 03:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A VERY NICE COLLECTION!! THANKS FOR SHOWING IT. HERE ARE PICTURES OF TWO ANKUS, THE FANCY ONE 3 PICTURES IS SAID TO BE EARLY 20TH CENTURY. THE SHORT ONE ?? THESE AR NOT MINE BUT I HAVE A FEW AROUND. I WILL TRY AND TAKE SOME PICTURES TO POST.

Timo Nieminen 20th May 2012 04:11 AM

A bells-in-handle ankus is on my list to get. Also a long-hafted one. Eventually, and as budget permits.

I like the simple ones. I think learning to make one would be a nice introduction to blacksmithing.

weapons 27 20th May 2012 07:54 AM

a sympathetic ankus

1 Attachment(s)
a sympatic ankus

Timo Nieminen 18th January 2016 09:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo Nieminen
A bells-in-handle ankus is on my list to get. Also a long-hafted one. Eventually, and as budget permits.

Here's the second on that list, a long-handled ankus. Lightweight at 474g.

Also, just received, a small ankus. 504g. Shown next to the ringed ankus in the last batch for comparison. (The ringed one is a little above average for this kind, I think. 908g.)

Helleri 18th January 2016 10:40 PM

Is it terrible that I would use any one of those as fire place pokers?

ariel 19th January 2016 02:13 AM

Timo,
Now you absolutely need a herd of elephants.

VANDOO 19th January 2016 04:59 PM

SAFER TO POKE A FIRE PLACE THAN TO POKE AN ELEPHANT. :p

thomas hauschild 8th December 2018 11:55 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Have found a nearly similar one like Timo. Same style, possibly same smith.

Best Thomas

Jens Nordlunde 8th December 2018 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my only Ancus, north India probably Punjab 19th century. The bore is 11 mm pinfire, so if someone was hit there would have been quite a hole.
In one of his books Robert Elgood shows a walking stick, with a hidden gun, from a museum, also with the same kind of decoration.
These shooting weapons were not practical at all, as it took far too long to unscrew the top - would not have been any good for a 007-agent.
Elgood, Robert: Firearms of the Islamic World. I.B. Tauris & Co., London 1995. PP. 142-143 no 93.

No Ariel, I am not going to buy an elephant, as I only have one Ancus, and I am sure my wife and the dogs would not like an elephant running around in the garden trumpteting at all hours.

Sorry.

Battara 8th December 2018 06:52 PM

Uh..........a picture Jens, please?