Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "new" Kukri. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9682)

Pukka Bundook 6th April 2009 12:28 AM

"new" Kukri.

4 Attachment(s)
Hello chaps.
I have a newly aquired kukri, and seeing as there are some here who know an awful lot about these, it would be nice to know exactly what I have.

overall 44 cm long............(17 1/4 ")

blade, 33 1/2 cm...........(13 1/4")

Spine thickness, 9 mm or (3/8") max.

Belly 56mm.... ..............(2 3/16")

It weighs 20 1/2 ounces.

No markings anywhere.

The stick tang seems to go up through the pommel cap, and the cap is attached with wood screws.

The handle feels wonderful, but has been mashed at the pommel end, and some wood is missing from the heel.
The blade seems flat-ground with only a hint of fullering.

The single fuller in the spine is fairly deep and well put in.

The grip can best be described as egg-shaped. The back is rounded, but the
belly side is much thinner and tapered. (if that makes sense!)

For some reason, there are two carefully cut notches in the underside of the grip. (?)

Apart from some old rust pitts, it doesn't look to have been messed about with, other than someone buzzing it over with a wire brush as some point.
The bolster is steel.

Any help with what his is would be very nice, and I thank you for your time!!

Richard.

Here are pics;

sirupate 6th April 2009 08:00 AM

Hello Richard,

It's an Indian Army Issue WWI period kukri. Not having markings on those kukri is very common, sometimes you get the soldiers number along with the battalion and regiment, but more often than not you don't.
What you have put down as a fuller is infact a decoration groove, if you look up 1907 pattern bayonet you see what a fuller is there, and a single fuller like that on a kukri is these days refered to as Angkhola.
How bad is the rust?

Pukka Bundook 6th April 2009 01:45 PM

Thanks for the reply Simon,

The rust isn't bad at all, It looks much worse in the photos. It's more staining than anything, with a couple of patches of blackish rust here and there.
It felt dry and 'scratchy' with a light surface rust when I got it, but already with fine wire wool and olive oil, the finish is coming back quite nicely.
The main rust appears to be around the base of the blade near the bolster.

There are a few scratches showing now, from some electric wire brushing in the dim and dusty past, but fortunately they didn't go mad with the thing!

Thanks for the information re. the fuller.....I'm more used to the term where swords are concerned!

The two notches would be the easiest thing in the world for someone to add later, but all I can say is they look as old and black as the rest of the grip.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Simon,

Best wishes,

Richard.

sirupate 6th April 2009 02:15 PM

No problem, I would leave the notches on the handle, part of the kukris history, enjoy, cheers Simon

Pukka Bundook 6th April 2009 03:26 PM

Simon,

In my last post, I forgot to thank you for the great information regarding this.
WW1 era is wonderful news!
I knew it looked old, but the seller's pictures weren't very clear, and it was a bit of a gamble.

Ne fears, I'll leave the notches alone.

Do you think I should repair the damaged pommel or leave it alone?

Cheers,

R.

sirupate 6th April 2009 03:29 PM

Once again I would be reluctant to repair it, it might have occured because the Gurkha struck a Turk on the head with it!! You just never know ;)