Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Another pocket pistol from c.1730-50 (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21957)

NeilUK 1st October 2016 04:38 PM

Another pocket pistol from c.1730-50

If I may be allowed to join in: here is a pocket pistol by J. Jackson from first half of 18th century. Not Queen Anne style and fairly plain, but I like it; bought at auction in Edinburgh this summer. No decoration or proof marks visible (perhaps on the under side of the barrel).
Neil
oops - my photos were too big. I'll try to reduce them and post later.

NeilUK 1st October 2016 05:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here goes. 2nd attempt.

fernando 1st October 2016 06:01 PM

Very nice, Neil; compact ... neat :cool: .

corrado26 1st October 2016 06:07 PM

.....and here is another Queen Anne typ pocket pistol made by Delany of London around 1710
corrado26

corrado26 1st October 2016 06:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
sorry, forgot the Fotos

corrado26 1st October 2016 06:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
....and found two better fotos and a foto of a pistol by Lane in the same style as the Jackson one.

Spiridonov 1st October 2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilUK
If I may be allowed to join in: here is a pocket pistol by J. Jackson from first half of 18th century. Not Queen Anne style and fairly plain, but I like it; bought at auction in Edinburgh this summer. No decoration or proof marks visible (perhaps on the under side of the barrel).
Neil
oops - my photos were too big. I'll try to reduce them and post later.

What is the caliber and length of this pistol?

NeilUK 1st October 2016 11:09 PM

Overall length = 200mm, barrel 86mm. Bore is 12mm but cut internally for a barrel key, to unscrew it for loading.
Neil

Spiridonov 2nd October 2016 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilUK
Overall length = 200mm, barrel 86mm. Bore is 12mm but cut internally for a barrel key, to unscrew it for loading.
Neil

Thank You

Pukka Bundook 2nd October 2016 05:15 PM

Grand little pistol Neil.

Full of character!
Perhaps Joseph Jackson?
App to Geo. Markby 1744, turned over to peter Gandon (V good maker) 1749, Free of Gunmakers Co 1752. Gunmaker Fetter lane. 1755.
Last ref. 1765.

Corrado,
Very nice pistol, and good maker!

NeilUK 4th October 2016 12:06 PM

Thank you,Richard, for that information on the likely maker of my pistol. I had found some Jacksons but none who seemed to fit.
Kind regards,
Neil

Pukka Bundook 5th October 2016 03:03 AM

Neil,
I think Joseph Jackson the most likely as all others seemed too late if I remember correctly.

Grand pistol and well carried.
May I enquire roughly what area of Scotland?
I'm from Yorkshire but have friends and relatives up there still. Some around CD and one up near Lochindhorbe.

NeilUK 6th October 2016 11:54 PM

Hi Richard, I live in central Scotland, in Stirling, with its splendid castle and several battle sites roundabout - eg Stirling Bridge and Bannockburn, to name the most famous. A long way from Lochindorb, I'm afraid. I have also lived in Yorkshire many years ago.
Regards, Neil

Pukka Bundook 7th October 2016 03:56 AM

Stirling area and Calendar very lovely countryside Neil!!

Grand view from the castle as well. Long time since I've been there....

CD = Castle Douglas, thought afterwards that maybe only some folks used the initials.

Best,
Richard.

fernando 7th October 2016 04:36 PM

Remember Uilleam Uallas ;) .

rickystl 15th October 2016 03:36 PM

Hi Neil.

Very nice little pocket pistol. While not in my area of collecting, I too would have a hard time passing that one up. Appears in nice condition too.
these pocket pistols must have been very popular during the first half of the 18th Century.
Nice gun.

Rick