Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New tulwar sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15809)

eric45 5th July 2012 03:29 AM

New tulwar sword

5 Attachment(s)
Just picked this tulwar sword up, don't know much about them,
any opinions on this one would be helpful.

Erich

Lew 5th July 2012 02:07 PM

The blade is pattern welded and it has armory markings a fine example in my opinion. As far as age goes 1800-1850.

eric45 5th July 2012 04:18 PM

Thanks, boy if this sword could talk the storys it could tell.
Erich

Norman McCormick 6th July 2012 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Erich,
I like your sword. Can you confirm or not whether the hilt has a pin through it and the blade, it looks like it has but I cannot see whether it is an indent in the hilt or a pin. I have attached a photo of one of mine and you can see the similarities in the crossguard finials and between them a floriate silver 'washer' this is where the pin is located. Again nice blade with a subtle yelman.
My Regards,
Norman.

David R 6th July 2012 10:32 PM

Nice sword, actualy a very nice sword, and what looks like a good "watered steel" blade, mechanical damaske (laminated steel) rather than "wootz",....both are good, but according to H.R.Robinson mechanical tends to be older than wootz. If there is a pin through the hilt that is usualy a sign of Afghan origin and so a "Puhlwar" rather than a "Tulwar". (spells it how you want, it is a phonetic transliteration of a dialect word in a foreign language).

eric45 7th July 2012 05:36 PM

It looks like an indent on one side and a hole on the other, but the hole has dirt in it, can't make out if it has a pin, what would be the purpose of the hole?
For a pin i imagine to hold the blade?

Erich

Jens Nordlunde 7th July 2012 09:32 PM

David, I am glad that you write 'If there is a pin through the hilt that is usualy a sign of Afghan origin', especially the word 'usually' as the pin thing was used all over.
Jens

Jens Nordlunde 8th July 2012 01:03 PM

The pin mostly does not go through to the other side, and the hole is often hidden by a flower like on Norman's sword.

Blacksmith 8th July 2012 07:33 PM

Hi, the segmented disc is typical to Lahore (Sind) swords.
Regards, Timo

Norman McCormick 8th July 2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
The pin mostly does not go through to the other side, and the hole is often hidden by a flower like on Norman's sword.

Hi Jens,
The one I have is an oddity in that the pin goes all the way through and has the floriate 'washer' on both sides.
My Regards,
Norman.

Jens Nordlunde 8th July 2012 09:34 PM

Hi Norman,
You can't be sure till you have removed both flowers - can you?
However I would not do so - I would leave it an be happy with it as it is :-).

Norman McCormick 9th July 2012 01:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Jens,
I seem to have an odd one, the pin does go all the way through (see photos), but it also has this floriate/vegetal decoration in the small fuller and on the spine which also seems rather unusual.
My Regards,
Norman.

Jens Nordlunde 9th July 2012 02:57 PM

Hi Norman,

Sometimes the pin goes the whole way through the hilt, and sometimes not.

The floral scroll looks nice, and is sometimes seen on blades.

Jens