Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A box lock bronze barrel pistol for comments. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19209)

fernando 21st October 2014 06:55 PM

A box lock bronze barrel pistol for comments.

4 Attachment(s)
I hope Captain Mark is not in the backstage spying on this one. He might board my ship and loot it ... together with the boarding axe ;) .
The 13 cms. octogonal barrel has a blunderbuss profile. The bore measures 12 m/m in the chamber and 19 m/m in the muzzle.
The spring bayonet activates by pulling back the trigger guard. Safety device beind the hammer.
All in all a British pattern ... only that it was made in Liege, probably for a British contract. The poinçon dates as from 1810 ... and i would say that this pistol manufacture date must be close to that. The patina is very pleasant.
The failures are a fissure in the blade block (base) and the jaw screw thread a bit worn; i shall see the local gun smith about that.
Total length (excl. bayonet) 25 cms. Bayonet (only) blade length 8 cms. Weight 655 grams.

Fernando K 21st October 2014 07:35 PM

Dear namesake

Only say I miss having a slide lock in the top of the box, which acts on media mounted (half-cock) which in turn locks the rooster (cock) and also the Frizen, through the hole that see in the picture

Affectionately. Fernando K

fernando 21st October 2014 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernando K
Dear namesake
Only say I miss having a slide lock in the top of the box, which acts on half-cock, which in turn locks the cock and also the Frizen, through the hole that we see in the picture...

It is there, Fernando ;)

Fernando K 21st October 2014 09:27 PM

Querido tocayo

Por supuesto que lo vi en la fotografia; solo quise decir que no habias dicho nada del seguro.....

Afectuosamente. Fernando K

Fernando K 21st October 2014 09:29 PM

dear namesake

Of course I saw it in the picture; I just meant you didn't say anithing about it.....

fernando 21st October 2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernando K
dear namesake

Of course I saw it in the picture; I just meant you didn't say anithing about it.....

Yes i did ... with only a couple words :o .

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
... Safety device behind the hammer...

Fernando K 21st October 2014 11:16 PM

dear namesake

Exactly. I beg pardon, my reading was very fast

M ELEY 22nd October 2014 04:19 AM

Another beautiful find, Fernando. As you well know, these were highly favored by British naval officers to 'discourage mutinies' and for boarding. The spring-loaded bayonet device and central lock design were patents of Waters and he is most affiliated with this gun's pattern.

fernando 23rd October 2014 08:34 PM

Thank you Mark.
Yes, examples by Waters are excelent. This one is no more than a humble competitor :o .
But, you know, when you don't have a dog you hunt with a cat :shrug: :eek: