Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Philippine yataghan?? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24621)

ariel 11th January 2019 12:02 AM

Philippine yataghan??

1 Attachment(s)
I do not know much about Philippine weapons, but am sure I have never seen anything like that.
Doesn't the blade look yataghan-ish?
Had it not been for the pommel, I would have thought it was a late 19th century yataghan.

Am I imagining?

Ian 11th January 2019 12:35 AM

Hi Ariel:

This appears to be an Ilokano piece from N. Luzon. It probably falls into the general category of a dahong palay, a well recognized Ilokano blade form that has been discussed on this forum a number of times. Perhaps it is the angle of the picture that gives it a somewhat yataghan shape, but usually the width of the blade is uniform up to the area where it narrows to a central point.

Ian.

ariel 11th January 2019 02:31 AM

Thanks Ian.
Now I am content: no yataghans in Luzon.

xasterix 11th January 2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian
Hi Ariel:

This appears to be an Ilokano piece from N. Luzon. It probably falls into the general category of a dahong palay, a well recognized Ilokano blade form that has been discussed on this forum a number of times. Perhaps it is the angle of the picture that gives it a somewhat yataghan shape, but usually the width of the blade is uniform up to the area where it narrows to a central point.

Ian.

Strongly agree, definitely a dahongpalay (or dinahong-palay, depends on which area classifies it). And yes, agree that it's from Ilocos, most likely Santa, Ilocos Sur.

RobT 14th January 2019 06:19 PM

Philippine Yataghans?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Would these two Philippine short swords qualify as having yataghan blades?

Sincerely,
RobT

Ian 14th January 2019 10:34 PM

Hi Rob:

These are two recurved knives/swords, and resemble a yataghan in that way, but I think that is where the similarity ends. Recurved blades are found in many cultures, probably reflecting parallel development. The yataghan is one of many examples.

Ian.

CharlesS 14th January 2019 10:43 PM

I believe recurved bayonets were also all the rage for a short while in the mid 19th century. Perhaps some influence from those???... though I am unaware of what bayonets the Filipinos would have seen from armies like the US, Spanish and perhaps even the Dutch. :shrug:

Battara 15th January 2019 12:06 AM

If I am not mistaken, the yataghan form bayonets came in the 19th century influenced from the French bayonets, which themselves influenced by the yataghans from the Ottomans. I would not be surprised that they influenced the rest of the West, including Spain.

But also agree with Ian in that many cultures come up with similar designs.