Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need help on German blade inscription (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16637)

fernando 4th January 2013 01:29 PM

Need help on German blade inscription

4 Attachment(s)
This is a Portuguese regulation sword for infantry/artillery officer mod. 1806.
I assume the blade is German (18th century)as it has IN SOLINGEN in one of its sides.
What troubles me is the inscription in the other side. The person who offered it for trade says the letters are very clear but he can't discern what they are or mean:
CHAN . ?? S PL ? V G ? L
Apparently the P is tangled to the L and also there is a half (?) O tangled to a C.
Can any of you guys figure out what this inscription is about?
A word starting by CHAN doesn't appear in the German dictionary :confused: . Maybe the guy is not reading well or this is not German :confused:

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 12th January 2013 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=fernando]This is a Portuguese regulation sword for infantry/artillery officer mod. 1806.
I assume the blade is German (18th century)as it has IN SOLINGEN in one of its sides.
What troubles me is the inscription in the other side. The person who offered it for trade says the letters are very clear but he can't discern what they are or mean:
CHAN . ?? S PL ? V G ? L
Apparently the P is tangled to the L and also there is a half (?) O tangled to a C.
Can any of you guys figure out what this inscription is about?
A word starting by CHAN doesn't appear in the German dictionary :confused: . Maybe the guy is not reading well or this is not German :confused:

Salaams fernando, PL ? V G ? L ...I think this could stand for PORTUGAL but without a picture of the actual letters its a bit difficult ~ any chance to see a photo of the actual full inscription?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

fernando 13th January 2013 05:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Olį Ibrahiim,
What a coincidence !
I arrived last knight from Lisbon, where i went to swap some pieces with the owner of this sword. When i opened my laptop and read your post, i was precisely realizing that the last word in the inscription might be a terribly stylised misspelled PORTUGAL. This because whilst struggling to take close up pictures of the blade, i kept wondering what the lettering would mean. Not that the pictures help so much as, due to bad conditions, i have done a lousy work.
Whether the whole inscription is in portuguese is something i can not yet figure out; still the three letters CHAN fit better into such language.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 13th January 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Olį Ibrahiim,
What a coincidence !
I arrived last knight from Lisbon, where i went to swap some pieces with the owner of this sword. When i opened my laptop and read your post, i was precisely realizing that the last word in the inscription might be a terribly stylised misspelled PORTUGAL. This because whilst struggling to take close up pictures of the blade, i kept wondering what the lettering would mean. Not that the pictures help so much as, due to bad conditions, i have done a lousy work.
Whether the whole inscription is in portuguese is something i can not yet figure out; still the three letters CHAN fit better into such language.

Salaams fernando ~ I agree on the PORTUGAL part but CHAN has me puzzled !
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

junker 14th January 2013 04:01 PM

Hi,
i`m from germany and i ve no idea.
I thougt of the french word "chevalleger" which is often used in Germany for the light horses regiments. :shrug:

Dirk

fernando 14th January 2013 04:11 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestion Dirk, but the Cheval-Leger version doesn't fit in it.
Besides, that would imply in a Cavalry blade, which is not the case of this narrow small sword example.

fernando 3rd February 2013 12:15 PM

I have just acquired this sword.
Within soon i will be in a condition to (try and) take better pictures of the enigmatic inscription.

fernando 11th February 2013 03:24 PM

SOLVED

2 Attachment(s)
Surely a word started by CHAN didn't make much sense.
Only that the C turned out to be a O and there was another letter before that ... although almost completely faded.
But common sense and a little reasoning made me figure out that this is the name of King Dom Joćo in period German lettering; IOHANES.
On the other side of the blade, also the I for Ihn Solingen is completely faded but, the (only) partialy faded H helped me discern the right phrase.
My only problem is that we had two Kings with the same name within a period close enough to put the doubt on which it was. Although Dom Joćo VI was firstly Regent (his Queen mother was mentally ill) and later King between 1799 and 1826, the period covering this sword model, i am more inclined for prior King Dom Joćo V, who reigned between 1706-1750. As we may see documented, Military Officers, having to purchase the swords by themselves, often used their ancestors blades, both for economical as for sentimental reasons. It is therefore my conviction that this is a XVIII century blade ... until further notice :o .

cornelistromp 11th February 2013 06:11 PM

Hi Fernando,

it is a smallsword with a shortened rapier blade from the second half of the 17th century, which is used again 100 years later.
there is not Iohanes Portugal engraved (this makes no sense :) ) but Iohanes Beugel a famous swordsmith from solingen in the second half of the 17thC. his mastermark was a Moors head.

best,
jasper

Pukka Bundook 11th February 2013 06:36 PM

Well Jasper,

You soon sorted this one out!!

Best wishes,
Richard.

Jim McDougall 11th February 2013 08:00 PM

Excellently reasoned Nando! and I have always admired your tenacity at working to solve these kinds of conundrums, and while not ultimately the final solution, it was beautifully thought out. The main thing is that your reassessment of the letters provided the impetus for Jaspers solution regarding the Solingen maker noted.
I must admit that I pored over this inscription many times, but could not offer a single viable suggestion. What is most interesting is the unusual character of some of these early letters.

fernando 11th February 2013 08:26 PM

Shame

Well Jasper, i bow to your expertize and turn the back to my silly presumption :( .
Since the begining of the thread that i assumed the second word would be Portugal and only the first word was the nut to crack.
So right was author José A. Faria e Silva that, when mentioning that earlier blades were used by Officers to mount on their Regulation swords, stated that they used to reach out for either XVII century blades shortened for the purpose, or XVIII examples that were a little shorter than the Regulation.
Dank u wel, Jasper :cool:

cornelistromp 11th February 2013 09:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Fernando,

no it has nothing to do with expertise, I am habituated to old script in sword Fullers and my language and Dutch names are like German names.
see for example the e in Clemens meigen (picture), the 17th century E resembles a kind of character that looks like EC combination.

I apologize that I have not previously earlier responded to the script in your sword

VBW
Jasper

fernando 14th February 2013 12:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I thought i should attach a new image of the blade with the correct inscription.
Also a couple other pictures of the screwable pommel button and the scabbard straight ending point, details that are typically seen in Portuguese swords.