Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Garde Du Corps Helmet (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27478)

Rikkn 1st December 2021 03:22 PM

Garde Du Corps Helmet

12 Attachment(s)
This was brought to me by a German acquaintance who is too old to be interested in his stuff....... He brought several uniform pieces , baners, and this.... It is very cool, and I believe it to be a Prussian Garde Du Corps Helmet. He claimed it was an officers helmet (?). Overall looks to be complete, other than having only residue of what I think was supposed to be a felt like coating on the thin lining material. It could use a deep cleaning, what would be the recommended method ? What do you guys think of it ?

Bob A 2nd December 2021 06:37 AM

Impressive, but I'd not care to wear it; that wing-nut would definitely make an impression on the wearer. Far outside my area of expertise, though. While corrosion is worrisome, addressing it is not something I'd attempt without prior consultation with someone with expertise with these items.

Wonderful display item, definitely eye-catching.

corrado26 2nd December 2021 07:10 AM

Not Garde du Corps but Garde-Kürassier-Regiment, 3. Eskadron

midelburgo 3rd December 2021 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now you have to grow a moustache.

Rikkn 3rd December 2021 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by midelburgo (Post 268057)
Now you have to grow a moustache.

Got that nailed !!

asomotif 3rd December 2021 11:00 PM

:D:D:D

asomotif 3rd December 2021 11:19 PM

What an impressive piece. I wish I had such acquaintances :)

I would not do a "deep"cleaning. I sort of like the patina on the helmet bowl.

The helmet plate looks like it has some (white) residue of brass polish.
I would start to remove that with a toothbrush and some soft soap.

The side posts and kokarde have some oxidation that I would also start to try and remove with a toothbrush and some soap.

The liner is probably original. Officers helmets have these types of liners.

Best regards,
Willem

Victrix 4th December 2021 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikkn (Post 268061)
Got that nailed !!

Splendid! You may want to use some of this for added effect.

Victrix 4th December 2021 09:06 AM

With regards to the green residue on the helmet, unless I am mistaken, it’s brass oxidation and best removed for preservation of the item. In the past I have used white spirit on topz to remove the oxidation, using softer materials like wooden tooth picks and plastic disposable spoon on the harder brass to avoid marks. Then I used Brasso to polish the area gently to remove any remains of oxidation. Finally I applied some renaissance wax on the afflicted areas in the hope that it would prevent re-oxidation by restricting contact with oxygen.

Will M 4th December 2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikkn (Post 268061)
Got that nailed !!

Just sign on the dotted line and they'll get you kitted out in full attire.

Wonderful find and a nice original piece. I agree with doing as little as necessary to conserve it. Once things are polished bright people question authenticity.

kronckew 7th December 2021 11:18 AM

I hope that eagle top is replaced by something more practical in battle, like a spike (as in a picklhaube). I wondered about that wingnut & its stud too. It's an owie in waiting. Maybe you can wear a helmet under the helmet? :D

AHorsa 8th December 2021 12:22 AM

This is a wonderful parade helmet. Taking into account its value, I wouldn't do anything to it if I was not well known to conservation. I think the best option is to bring it to a good restorer. Would be a bit pitty if this fabolous piece of history got damaged by wrong treatment.

Kind regards and congrats to that piece
Andreas

Rikkn 8th December 2021 02:11 AM

A good restorer would be a good idea. Any suggestions for one in the states ?