Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Indo-Persian Pesh Kabz Dagger (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18877)

KeithJ 4th August 2014 11:13 PM

Indo-Persian Pesh Kabz Dagger

1 Attachment(s)
An Indo-Persian Pesh Kabz dagger, with a jade and mother-of pearl handle. The grain on the blade is etched to simulate Damascus steel (Faux Wootz). Circa 1900-1920, probably from the Afghanistan/Pakistan region.

Aleksey 5th August 2014 10:20 AM

Hi, KeithJ!

The knife is good one. Once upon a time I had the similar knife. The quality is good, the design is nice.

Good addition to the collection at all!

Jens Nordlunde 5th August 2014 02:58 PM

Keith,
You now and then see these daggers, and they are from the NW region. They were made in different sizes, and I think I have one in one of my books from late 19th century - but I have not been able to find it yet.
Jens

Ian 5th August 2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithJ
An Indo-Persian Pesh Kabz dagger, with a jade and mother-of pearl handle. The grain on the blade is etched to simulate Damascus steel (Faux Wootz). Circa 1900-1920, probably from the Afghanistan/Pakistan region.

Hi Keith:

Yes, you're right that these are from the late 19th-early 20th Century. As far as I know, most (if not all) were made in northern India specifically for European visitors. These were common mementos for British travelers to take home from the pride of the British Empire.

I have several and they come in various shapes and sizes, mostly 7-12 inches in length. They are well made and well finished small- to medium-sized, attractive looking knives and in the last ten years their perceived value has gone up considerably.

They typically come in rather plain leather sheaths that have often been lost.

Ian.

CharlesS 5th August 2014 06:28 PM

Very, very rarely these can be found with Indian cystalline damascus wootz blades....those are real gems.

Gavin Nugent 6th August 2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Very, very rarely these can be found with Indian cystalline damascus wootz blades....those are real gems.

I would expect the similar type without the MOP but with Jadite grip slabs and silver dressed sheath in Moser collection to be one such example Charles.

There is a wide variety of these dagger types, Karuds & Khybers with varying degrees of MOP and Jadite combinations and styles that all appear to have come from a central manufacturing centre.

The Acid etching patterns are seen on many bird head daggers, Khanda, Tulwar, Tegha as well...no doubt other patterns I have not seen either.

I'd expect, due to the typical high quality of the steel used in blades and the very sharp edges they have and can take that many other fine useable weapons of specific one off orders came through these centres too.

CharlesS 6th August 2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
I would expect the similar type without the MOP but with Jadite grip slabs and silver dressed sheath in Moser collection to be one such example Charles.

Yes, Gavin, I believe the two( and only 2) I have seen with wootz were the jadeite types you mentioned.

This is NOT one of the two I was thinking of, but the idea is the same, and certainly the manufacture would have been during about the same time:

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=5664

kronckew 6th August 2014 05:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
i have one of these with a plain leather sheath. about an 8in. blade. haven't dared to etch it & lose the patina. also have a very similar pesh with a dark wood grip & a more elaborate scabbard

kahnjar1 15th June 2017 09:28 PM

CHHURI for Comment

3 Attachment(s)
To resurrect this thread, I have just acquired this little knife. According to Tirri, the small ones are called CHHURI and he agrees with comments above that they come from Northern India. The blade on mine shows watering/faux wootz....not sure which, but I like it. Well made and with original leather over wood scabbard
Sorry for the colour variance....camera playing up. The top pic shows correct colour.
Anyway here it is for comment.
Stu

spiritualwarrior1978 3rd July 2017 06:51 PM

I have a thing for these daggers too, someone posted a matching kukri (with similar inlaid handle) I have 4 of these :) they even made a large Kanjar style of this. I've tried adding image, will try from the pc later.

But the khanjar is 19inches !

spiritualwarrior1978 3rd July 2017 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Manage to shirk like the image in my phone.... but all of these came with scabbards/cases the large khanjar was a very nice green covered case with metal work to it.