Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New addition #2 Panjang or maybe not (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7619)

kino 22nd November 2008 11:16 PM

New addition #2 Panjang or maybe not

4 Attachment(s)
Is this a Panjang?
Blade 22 in. No visible pamur.
Hilt is horn , upper part is pierced.
Thoughts??

David 23rd November 2008 12:03 AM

Another nice find. You have been fortunate indeed lately Kino! :)
I would call it a panjang, but it might have a different classification. It has those beautiful long fullers like your carita which is not usually a feature on the other panjangs i have seen. But the length and other features look right for a panjang. Beautiful non the less. :)
Again i would venture that this is a peninsula blade. Is the name panjang used in that area? :shrug:

Alam Shah 23rd November 2008 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
I would call it a panjang, but it might have a different classification. It has those beautiful long fullers like your carita which is not usually a feature on the other panjangs i have seen. But the length and other features look right for a panjang. Beautiful non the less. :)
Again i would venture that this is a peninsula blade. Is the name panjang used in that area? :shrug:

It is a keris panjang from Peninsular Malaysia.. a 'young' blade, but beautiful nevertheless. David, it should fall within the panjang classification. These type do exists. I've seen quite a number of old examples.. although perhaps you've not seen any. This form can be found in the Malay archipelago. Yes, it's still known as keris panjang.

kino 23rd November 2008 03:46 AM

Quote:

Another nice find. You have been fortunate indeed lately Kino
Thanks! (knocking on wood)

Quote:

It is a keris panjang from Peninsular Malaysia.. a 'young' blade,
Alam Shah, At what age would you place this blade at?

Alam Shah 23rd November 2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino
Alam Shah, At what age would you place this blade at?

When it comes to age, your guess is as good as mine.. ;) the hilt looks older than the blade.. the blade material reminds me on one of mine.. (( link ))

PenangsangII 24th November 2008 08:49 AM

Yup, a peninsular panjang - could be Kelantan

Alam Shah 24th November 2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Yup, a peninsular panjang - could be Kelantan

A Northern Peninsular variant.. probably from Kelantan or Pattani. ;)

milandro 1st March 2024 08:10 AM

I am resurrecting this thread because is the only one which talks of something of my interest.

I don't have pictures yet of the kris.

Are there crossbreed examples of Panjangs with a Pattani or Coteng( Kingfisher) known to the community?

I have seen just a couple looking around internet but you never know if they have been assembled in this way . It would certainly make a nice hilt to hold on to while walking with such a weapon, but is it kosher?

milandro 3rd March 2024 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found another Panjang on line with a Patani Coating Hilt

these are pics from a auction concluded two years ago (so allowable here right?)

How usual or unusual is this combination?

David 3rd March 2024 09:42 PM

I have seen Tajong hilts on panjang blades before, but as far as i know this is not a traditionally acceptable combination. The keris panjang you show here is a rather recent blade i think.

milandro 4th March 2024 08:04 AM

yes, there seem to be quite a few recent blades with pamor while the older examples are pamorless.

The one I bought doesn't appear to have any pamor

kai 5th March 2024 09:36 PM

Dear all,

Most examples on the market these days are results of cultural appropriation for mere business reasons - if not outright fakes (in case claimed being genuine northern Melayu pieces/antiques), they tend to be poor copies exhibiting poor flow of lines, non-Malay motifs, etc.

The example discussed in post #9 seems to has a blade straight out of Madura, made yesterday when acquired and placed onto auction soon enough. Not sure where these hilt reproductions are carved in Indonesia, but they have been getting better and better in recent years. Many are still easy give-aways like this one though.

I can't remember seeing any old ensembles combining a genuine tajong hilt with any Bangkinang blade - I guess many local Singgora/Pattani/Kelantan blades are close enough (long/slender) to not bother bringing in Bangkinang blades in olden times for regular usage.

Aside from possibly older (vintage?) Sumatran copies of coteng/tajong hilts, there apparently are related genuine hilt styles from Sunda and Sumatra, some of the latter might have been combined with keris panjang blades.

Regards,
Kai