Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help: Possible Kalinga Axe (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17331)

imas560 11th June 2013 11:01 AM

Help: Possible Kalinga Axe

6 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
one of my latest acquisitions was based on a small photo with an axe that may be of Kalinga (?) origin. When I got the item the axe head has a differing thickness throughout the head and some brass like staples covering the handle.
Any help in determining authenticity/origin would be much appreciated.
thanks

Sajen 11th June 2013 08:44 PM

Hello Imas,

yes, agree again with you, nice Kalinga axe with missing end cap at the wooden handle. And it seems that the jacket under the head is pushed up a little bit, is it moveable? Nice find and I hope that other more knowable members will join in to confirm.

Best regards,
Detlef

imas560 11th June 2013 09:18 PM

Hello Detlef,
thanks for the response. The jacket isn't moveable and is very tight. There were 2 items in the auction with 3 photos of the combined items. 2 of the photos were mainly on the other item. The description contained the following

"The art carved hatchet [other item] shows wear and patina consistant with an aged tool.The more modern hatched [kalinga] is missing the decorative rings at the mid point and tip of the handle.

"Antique Head Hunter Hatchets from the South Pacific. The more decorative one is probably authentic native made.

The sharp spike [kalinga] one may have been given to the head hunters by the U.S. Military. Story has it that during WWII the U.S.

paid the South Pacific Islanders a bounty for each Japanese scalp. Great decorative and art pieces."

Thanks again for responding

VANDOO 11th June 2013 09:54 PM

I AGREE LIKELY KALINGA , I HAVE SEEN THE STAPLE DECORATION ON SPEARS AND HEAD AX FROM THE LATE 1920'S TO EARLY 1930'S. JUDGEING FROM THE PICTURES THE PATINA WOULD BE ABOUT RIGHT FOR THAT TIME.
WHILE THERE MAY HAVE A BOUNTY PAID FOR HEADS IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MADE WITH HEAD AXES THEY ARE NATIVE MADE AS FAR AS I KNOW. THERE WAS PLENTY OF METAL DURING WW2 FLYING AROUND OR LAYING AROUND SO IT WAS A TIME OF PLENTY FOR SWORD MAKERS. NICE ONE A PIECE OF BRASS BULLET CASEING WILL REPLACE THE MISSING BUTT CAP NICELY.

imas560 11th June 2013 11:15 PM

thanks Vandoo.
I like the bullet case idea.

Battara 12th June 2013 12:02 AM

I agree with Vandoo about the dating of this piece. It is consistent for pieces made around the WWII era, maybe slightly before.

However, it might be Tinguian which are similar to Kalinga, but a little stouter while Kalinga are more crescent shaped in the blade.

By the way, they were still taking Japanese heads during WWII.

imas560 12th June 2013 12:42 AM

Hello Battara,
thanks for the info.
I have to admit that the topic of head hunting during WW2 in SEA has been an interesting diversion for me lately after seeing the Airmen and the Headhunters doco a couple of years ago (have since lost my copy but it is still available on demand from pbs). The Major Tom Harrisson and restoration of head hunting in Borneo against the Japanese story is fascinating which led me on to a document on the Rebellion/Resistance in Mindanao during WW2 which is also absorbing reading.
Fascinating subject.

imas560 12th June 2013 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
took some measurements around the axe head (in mm).