Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pls translation and any opinion is welcome (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18730)

Martin Lubojacky 7th July 2014 07:52 AM

Pls translation and any opinion is welcome

5 Attachment(s)
The dagger is small, nevertheless the blade is really good (it looks like a very "poisonous" weapon). Mostly, such handles are associated with much bigger kama (style) daggers, but I think only because of the fact that the number of various small knives with this handles is out of collectors´own line.
Any comment is welcome and I would be happy if some of colleagues here could translate the Arabic text.
Regards,
Martin

drac2k 7th July 2014 01:46 PM

This is an interesting Jambiya with a beautiful multi-fullered blade .I am not an expert in this area( or any other come to think about it), however it appears to me that the quality of the blade is far superior to the rather spurious inscription ; you have a 19, followed by the Roman numerals CV, which stands for 105.
The handle appears to be horn and with the bosses, despite the damage is very pleasing to the eye.I would also guess that the scabbard is a later addition.
All said, it is a very nice item that I would be happy to own had I found it .

ariel 7th July 2014 11:07 PM

I do not think it is "CV": rather it is arabic 27. Will make in total 1927.
Gregorian date written with arabic numerals.

I have a whiff of something Syrian :-)

Martin Lubojacky 8th July 2014 06:55 AM

Thank you Ariel and Drac2k,
Yes. it is date - 1927. I would be very interested in what else is written on the blade. My idea is eastern part of Turkey (?), maybe south east (?)

ward 9th July 2014 01:17 AM

It's from eastern Turkey

Martin Lubojacky 9th July 2014 02:51 PM

Thank you Ward.

And hereby I appeal to experienced colleagues with knowledge of Arabic writing (and maybe Turkish language) not to be shameful ...

Martin Lubojacky 4th August 2014 07:16 AM

Please, any idea concerning the text ? From the date and origin I would presuppose it may be a version of Arabic scripture used in Ottoman Turkish during Ottoman Empire and also during the first years of the Republic. Maybe our colleagues from Turkey could help ? Thank you.
Regards,
Martin

Martin Lubojacky 12th February 2015 06:03 PM

Finaly:
It is rally written in so called "Osmanlı". What we succeeded to translate is:
Yadigar-ı Konya (remembrance of Konya)
Miralay Yusuf (Colonel Yusuf)

Martin Lubojacky 28th March 2015 09:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi again, I just post a few pictures after the restoration of the dagger. The dagger is very ordinary and so I took this opportunity to experience restore works on the handle. I used water soluble ciment for repairs of wood (the darkest shade I had for disposal was "dark oak", but I put soot in it). I treated it wit restoration wax finally. The handle was made of black horn. Regards,
Martin

kahnjar1 28th March 2015 10:14 PM

Hi Martin,
Very nice handle restoration job if I may say so.
Stu

Kubur 28th March 2015 10:26 PM

Very nice
But why you didnt put black leather or green velvet on the scabbard?

Sajen 28th March 2015 10:36 PM

Top job Martin, congrats! :cool:

Martin Lubojacky 29th March 2015 02:24 PM

Thank you for kind words.
Kubur, I did not change the character of the scabbard, since the dagger was used with this, maybe scabbard replacement for a long time ... The signs of long use are visible, there is some patina on it. For me it is also "remembrance" (maybe similarly like for "colonel Yusuf"). I know it is not spectacular piece, and so I just decided to repair damage. If I replace also the scabbard, it would not recall me the situation and place, when I see it in the future. Regards, Martin