Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What hilt/scabbard material on this gunong? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15029)

Ferguson 8th February 2012 01:01 PM

What hilt/scabbard material on this gunong?

2 Attachment(s)
Just received this gunong, and the hilt and scabbard material has me puzzled. I don't think it's ivory, but it's a natural material. It seems to have layers, maybe some kind of tooth or tusk? It's very heavy. The pictures are from the auction. I'll get some better ones this weekend. The blade is sandwich construction, with a thin hard layer in the center. The hilt polished up and turned out to be brass, I think. Looking to learning more about this one!

Steve

Ferguson 9th February 2012 12:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More (poor) pictures.
Thanks,
Steve

David 9th February 2012 12:38 AM

hmmm....looks like ivory to me... :shrug:

David 9th February 2012 12:39 AM

nice one BTW... :)

Ferguson 9th February 2012 01:13 AM

Thanks David!
I don't have any Ivory, so I wasn't sure. Supposedly brought back from WWII, and in a closet ever since. There was thick grease on the blade and in the scabbard.

Steve

David 9th February 2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferguson
Thanks David!
I don't have any Ivory, so I wasn't sure. Supposedly brought back from WWII, and in a closet ever since. There was thick grease on the blade and in the scabbard.

Steve

That seems about the right timeframe Steve. Looks like a nice quality piece though, not tourist junk.

Battara 9th February 2012 01:42 AM

I agree (and am jealous) - looks like ivory to me too.

Great piece - you are truly "Tito Gunong"! :D

Ferguson 9th February 2012 01:47 AM

Woo hoo! :D Thanks Jose!
Steve

Robert 9th February 2012 05:17 AM

Great piece Steve, maybe one day I will find one of these. :D Congratulations on another wonderful addition to your ever growing collection!!

Robert

ThePepperSkull 9th February 2012 05:58 AM

Woo! That is nice. Thre red fittings-- are they Copper or suasa?

Lew 9th February 2012 06:10 AM

Steve

Very nice find my friend :D

Ferguson 9th February 2012 09:43 AM

Pepperskull, Some kind of copper alloy I think. The color in the pictures is a little off. They have a kind of pinkish tint in person.

Thanks Lew. It's good to hear from you buddy. :)

Steve

Battara 10th February 2012 12:29 AM

I drew up a very similar design for Zel years ago for a gunong scabbard (no ivory though).

Ferguson 12th February 2012 08:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some (slightly) better pictures. I guess the scabbard trim is copper. It looks pink though. Could it be suassa?
Steve

Battara 12th February 2012 10:28 PM

The only way for sure to know if it is copper or swassa is to get it tested by a jeweler.

Nice pictures.

Ferguson 12th February 2012 10:48 PM

Thanks Jose. :)

Sajen 13th February 2012 09:07 AM

Hi Steve,

lovely gunong, really beautiful piece. Is it possible to see a picture from the throat of the handle? On some pictures you posted I think to see some black dots which will be a sign for hippo ivory. :shrug:

Regards,

Detlef

Ferguson 14th February 2012 09:53 AM

I'll get a picture for you Sajen. There was a lot of grease on the scabbard from the blade. I'll clean it well and look for the black dots.
thanks,
Steve

David 14th February 2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
The only way for sure to know if it is copper or swassa is to get it tested by a jeweler.

Nice pictures.

Well, usually sausa doesn't tarnish like copper... :shrug:

Sajen 14th February 2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Well, usually sausa doesn't tarnish like copper... :shrug:

But it get dark like gold also.

Indianajones 14th February 2012 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi after reading this post I read the post 'parang betino' and noticed the similar material used in the Indonesian knife; color, darker areas etc.
(for 'our' convenience I attached a pic from that post here)

Perhaps these ivory filipino handles (in general?) were carved from Asian elephant ivory? (are/were there actually any elephants native to Indonesia??)

To be clear; elephant ivory is reckognizable by diamondshapes visible at the crosscut. Whaletusk and other tooth dont show this diamondpattern at the surface of crosscut.

Maybe the Indonesian armsexperts know more???

Lew 15th February 2012 09:25 AM

My guess is that it some type of marine animal tusk. Since there is no sign of that herring bone criss cross pattern in the ivory I doubt that it's elephant ivory.

Steve if you can take a few extreme close up macro pics of the hilt in sun light this may help determine what it is?

Lew