Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Large Silver Inlay Gunong (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19556)

Battara 29th January 2015 12:05 AM

Large Silver Inlay Gunong

5 Attachment(s)
Greetings folks!

I thought I'd share this new gunong I got. It is a lot larger than I thought with silver mounts and burled narra wood pommel. What is also surprising is that the middle of the scabbard is made of wood and black carabao horn inserts, held in place with copper pins.

Here is also the nice part: the silver inlay is complete and done in okir.

I would place this piece in the 1930s and perhaps Maguindanao.

Enjoy.

Battara 29th January 2015 12:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are 2 more pictures:

Robert 29th January 2015 03:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
WOW :eek: Saying that this is nice would be a complete understatement. The size is amazing with it being what looks to be 13 inches in overall length. I have seen these longer but never with this style of blade or this quality of workmanship. Can you tell me what the inlay on the blade is supposed to represent? A beautiful gunong that I am very happy to see you be able to add to your most wonderful collection. Congratulations.

Best,
Robert

Battara 29th January 2015 04:22 AM

Thank you Robert. When I got it, it was in somewhat rough shape.

What the inlay symbolizes? Not sure - perhaps a centipede?

Robert 29th January 2015 04:48 AM

Hello Jose, I thought that it might be a centipede at first as well, but then I thought that they might include legs on it if it were. Perhaps it is some kind of aquatic beastie??? :D :shrug:

Battara 30th January 2015 12:00 AM

I also thought of a crocodile, but usually the long tail is a major component.

Will have to do more research to see what other critters this could be.

Sajen 30th January 2015 07:24 PM

What a beautiful piece by your pictures and a little bit maintenance now, much better like by the ebay pictures. I was stupid that I don't have given a higher offer before. But it is in good hands now so my sadness is of little account. :D

Regards,
Detlef

Ferguson 1st February 2015 01:43 PM

Congratulations my friend. It's a lovely piece!
Steve

Battara 1st February 2015 07:28 PM

That says a lot coming from you. Thank you Tito Gunong!

kronckew 2nd February 2015 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i really like this style of gunong. yours is a very fine example.

mine is newish and considerably down market.

Battara 5th February 2015 11:52 PM

Thank you Kronckew. I usually look for something different, but the inlay caught my eye though.

Battara 16th February 2015 01:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of the Philippines giant centipede and the silver inlay on the blade of my gunong for comparison. I am now more convinced that the inlay is of a stylized Maranao okir centipede.