Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A poll or vote for recommended books on weapon collecting (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3541)

katana 9th November 2006 10:55 PM

A poll or vote for recommended books on weapon collecting

After reading several threads about 'poor' litrature on weapon collecting etc may I suggest Formites recommend books, that others can rate. Perhaps a poll, I am sure that it is in all our interests since 'mis-informed litrature' is damaging to the 'brotherhood of ethnic weapon collectors'. Both , in us buying pieces believing they are 'authentic' and sellers setting crazy prices for 'poor quality' weapons that have suddenly become 'priceless'.Hopefully, not only will you save other member's money but prevent publishers 'churning out' rubbish (or should I more accurately say ...sh*#)

What do you think?

Andrew 9th November 2006 11:59 PM

I like the idea, Katana. This has been attempted a couple times over the years, but I fear it's a daunting task, really.

http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000035.html

http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001722.html

VANDOO 10th November 2006 12:30 AM

MOST POSTS IN THE PAST HAVE DEALT WITH REFRENCE BOOKS MEMBERS RECOMEND. THERE HAVE BEEN DISCUSSIONS OF SOME OF THE ERRORS IN THE BOOKS BUT MOST ERRORS WERE NOT DUE TO SLOPPY RESEARCH BUT USED THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE AT THE TIME WHICH WAS THE BEST THEY COULD GET. AS WE GET MORE INFORMATION THINGS WE HAVE BELEIVED TO BE TRUE IN THE DISTANT PAST CAN BE PROVED WRONG. GATHERING INFORMATION FROM DIFFERENT SOURCES,GROUPS, TIMES AND REGIONS CAN ALSO CAUSE MISUNDERSTANDINGS EVEN THOUGH BOTH RESEARCHERS ARE CORRECT BUT NEITHER ONE HAS THE FULL STORY.

I HOPE THE BOOK TWO OF US HAVE BEEN BURNED ON IS NOT SOMETHING WE WILL SEE A LOT OF IN THE FUTURE. IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA IF THOSE PREPARING TO PUBLISH A REFRENCE BOOK ON A SUBJECT THEY ARE NOT EXPERT IN COULD LET SOME OF OUR MEMBERS VERY KNOWLEGABLE IN THE FIELD COVERED REVIEW THE BOOK AND GIVE AN OPINION AND RECOMENDATIONS. THE BOOKS WE HAVE RECOMENDED OR WARNED OF IN PAST POSTS IS A KIND OF REVIEW AND SHOWS WHAT WE REGARD AS GOOD SOURCES OF REFRENCE.

B.I 10th November 2006 12:30 AM

i think this is also a great idea. if a poll could be used (like the age one) where we could all offer potential books to be listed, and then individually vote whether it is good or bad. this way, we avoid discussions and controversy, and just get a simple yes or no. there are many books outside india that i have considered, but dont know whether they are worth buying. this would help if someone knows (and can be inclined) to set it up.

katana 10th November 2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.I
if a poll could be used (like the age one) where we could all offer potential books to be listed, and then individually vote whether it is good or bad. .

Exactly BI ....perhaps a grading system from rubbish to excellent

Lew 10th November 2006 04:00 PM

My Idea is to create our own book and include pieces from a number of collections considering our formites have the most extensive knowlege and collections of fine old items. The profits from the sale of the book should go to various charities in the third world countries since many of the items in our collections originated from there.

Lew

katana 10th November 2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
My Idea is to create our own book and include pieces from a number of collections considering our formites have the most extensive knowlege and collections of fine old items. The profits from the sale of the book should go to various charities in the third world countries since many of the items in our collections originated from there.

Lew

NICE IDEA LEW,.........would take alot of organizing

Tim Simmons 10th November 2006 08:00 PM

As mentioned before, I would love to see some sort of coordinated collectively contributed publication, even if just a down loaded computer type thingy.

utami 14th November 2006 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES

Lew

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
NICE IDEA LEW,.........would take alot of organizing

Strongly Agree with Loui here :)

i've visited, taking note & picture from some museum in java that have edge weapon collection ( indonesia tradisional weaponry ) Most of them is very old, unique, rare to find items. And i've interviewed & discussed some of the finest blacksmith in aceh, java, east kalimantan ( borneo ) related to tradisional weaponry & making. This is my personal intrest to study the pattern and style of blade and scabbard and revive the almost extinct tradisional weapon.

if i may, i would like contribute all the works that i've done to this idea. i'll release all the information that i have to forum, so the other member perhaps could add more information base on their knowledge & collection.

just my 2 cents :)

FourBlades 15th November 2006 03:44 AM

Preserving forum knowledge...

I like the idea of a rating system. Maybe we could start a list of what each person thinks are the best books for each region and people can add their ratings to them, like 1-10.

I also like the idea of preserving the forum's knowledge in an organized way. I am just a newbie to collecting but I would be willing to help edit if the work is done in english.

It might help to concentrate on doing "articles" on particular types of weapons or regions. They could be posted to Wikipedia for preservation and distribution. :D :D :D

FourBlades 1st December 2006 03:47 AM

Buzzkill?

Wow, did I kill off this thread somehow :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , seems like some good ideas going.

John

katana 1st December 2006 03:02 PM

Hi John,
I think the ideas are good....the problem is...I think....is that it needs to be organised ...and there is no one to coordinate it all.

Perhaps a new thread to ask Formites if they would contribute information/articles and requesting 'co-ordinators' would be the way to go?
what does everyone think about this idea??

Regards David

Rick 1st December 2006 03:10 PM

The Someday List

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourBlades
Wow, did I kill off this thread somehow :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , seems like some good ideas going.

John

John, this idea comes up on a semi regular basis here; you didn't kill the thread.
Discussion is easy; it's the implementation that's the killer; who's got the time? :shrug:

VANDOO 1st December 2006 05:23 PM

AS MENTIONED THIS IDEA HAS COME UP SEVERAL TIMES IN THE PAST FOR A COUPLE OF OLD POSTS WITH IDEAS SEARCH THE OLD ARCHIVES 2000-2004. TWO POSTS I KNOW OF ARE UPDATING STONES GLOSSARY POSTED VANDOO 05/01/2001 AND PUBLISH OR PERISH , POSTED VANDOO 08/03/2001.

IT WILL TAKE A SPECIAL INDIVIDUAL SUCH AS GEORGE CAMERON STONE OR A DEDICATED GROUP TO ACCOMPLISH WHAT WE DISCUSS HERE. PERHAPS A UNIVERSITY OR MUSEUM COULD DO THE WORK BUT THEY ARE USUALLY SHORT ON TIME AND MONEY AS WE ALL ARE. IDEALLY THE VARIOUS MUSEUMS , UNIVERSITYS AND GROUPS SUCH AS OURS AROUND THE WORLD COULD COOPERATE AND GET THE WORK DONE.
BUT IN REALITY IT IS NOT POSSIBLE AS MORE TIME WOULD BE SPENT ARGUING AS TO WHAT INFORMATION WAS RIGHT OR WRONG, WHO GOT THE CREDIT AND MONEY AND WHO HAD THE BEST EXAMPLES AND MOST VALUABLE COLLECTIONS THAT NEEDED TO BE IN THE BOOKS. COMPETICIAN, GREED,JEALOSY AND EGO OFTEN PREVENT COOPERATION AND PREVENT MANY GREAT WORKS FROM BEING DONE. THIS APPLYS TO INDIVIDUALS ,UNIVERSITYS,MUSEUMS AND COUNTRIES AND IS ONE OF THE MAJOR FAILINGS OF THE HUMAN RACE, BUT OF COURSE WE ARE HIGHLY ILLOGICAL. :p

I FIND THE INTRODUCTION AT THE FRONT OF STONES GLOSSARY TO BE VERY INTERESTING AND THOUGH IT WAS WRITTEN IN THE 1930'S MUCH OF WHAT IT SAYS IS STILL TRUE TODAY. A BOIGRAPHY OF MR. STONE WOULD PROBABLY BE VERY INTERESTING READING IF SUCH A BOOK EXHISTS.

FourBlades 2nd December 2006 10:36 PM

Pick a narrowly focused topic to keep it simple

One way to tackle this might be to pick one subject on which there is little published or easily accessible information that the forumites find particularly interesting and doing a single overview article on it. It could be illustrated with examples from the forumites' collections. If you pick a narrow enough subject, then it might be possible to put together an article that would have lasting value. For example, a survey of Gurades or Kaskaras. I think it is important to keep in mind that most of us are doing this for leisure and not under any particular schedule to get it done. I'd be willing to work on editing and composing if people contribute bits of writing and photos. I realize I am new to the forum and if I am just rehashing old ground, let me know and I'll stop... :D

John