Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old tenegre (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15494)

Sajen 29th April 2012 04:08 PM

Old tenegre

8 Attachment(s)
This tengere just ended by ebay, unfortunately I am not the winner so I hope someone from the forum is the happy winner! :) It was mislabeled so I was a little bit surprised that it went high like this.

I think that it is a late 1900th century example so I want to post the pictures for your enjoy and later reference.

And would be nice to read if I was correct by my guess.

Regards,

Detlef

VVV 29th April 2012 04:35 PM

Hi Detlef,

You are correct in both your guesses ;)

Michael

PS But it did not go as high as I expected and I think it's a binangon, not a tenegre.

Sajen 29th April 2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVV
Hi Detlef,

You are correct in both your guesses ;)

Michael

PS But it did not go as high as I expected and I think it's a binangon, not a tenegre.

Hi Michael,

:D :D congrats, yes my bid was low since I hoped that not so many collectors see it! ;) Please post better pictures when you have received it. I am not sure about tenegre/binangon, see for example here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=tenegre

Best regards,

Detlef

VVV 29th April 2012 05:17 PM

Hi Detlef,

I think your beauty is a Binangon too (according to the classification in the good old days when we had more Visayan researchers here).
The hilt probably depicts Bakunawa (a local version of the Naga, a sea monster that swallows the moon now and then) as a response to the discussion in the other thread.

Michael

Sajen 29th April 2012 05:34 PM

Hi Michael,

first thank you for the respond about the Bakunawa in the other thread and the compliment about my one.

I ever have referred my binangon and tenegre with help from this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=binangon, see post # 24.

But however described your sword, it is as well a beauty! :)

Regards,

Detlef

VVV 29th April 2012 06:03 PM

Thanks for the link, now I am confused?
If Ron, Nacho or someone else from the Visayas please could explain the difference between the two terms?

Michael

Sajen 29th April 2012 06:23 PM

Agree, a clarification of the terms would be great! :)

Indianajones 29th April 2012 08:39 PM

Hi there, has anyone else wondered what the material is of those thin bands around the lower end of the scabbard?!? Horn, turtleshell, else?
Greets
Bt.w. Sajen just keep on looking, there surely will be another one on e. . y.

Sajen 29th April 2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianajones
Hi there, has anyone else wondered what the material is of those thin bands around the lower end of the scabbard?!? Horn, turtleshell, else?
Greets
Bt.w. Sajen just keep on looking, there surely will be another one on e. . y.

Hi Wouter,

for the bands around the scabbard have a look here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=binangon
By this feature and some other points like the "pressed" head of the Bakunawa and the iron ferrule I have point it down by the estimated age.

Sure that there will be one day another one but unsure if I can get it by a price like this. Old ones like this are rare. But I am happy that it will join in such a great collection, no big sadness! :D

Regards,

Detlef

Dimasalang 30th April 2012 07:04 PM

Very nice piece!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianajones

I've looked back through this forum on the topic of those thin shaved pieces. For awhile many believed they were shaved tortoise shell. But now the consensus is they are shaved carabao horn...which is now a lost art. You will not find anyone in the Philippines who has this skill or craft.
I also have an image of a salakot with reference to it being made of shaved carabao horn. It is translucent as well and looks exactly like this.

nacho 1st May 2012 03:47 AM

Binangon is a generic term for any sword (as used in the Iloilo dialect). But people here (Philippines) generally use the term binangon to refer to any Ilonggo sword.

Thus, the "tenegre" can also be called a "binangon".

However, "tenegres" are a special type of "binangon" -- one that has the characteristic monster face.

BTW, it is a very nice piece!

Indianajones 1st May 2012 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for clearing that up Sajen. Am always amazed of the ingenuity of tribal groups; am sure it would be a hell of a job to make thin slizes of horn!!! Although they might cook the horn first to make it more soft, still

Yes now you mention it Dimasalang, I know those salakots which you mean, with often silver (embossed) tops and rims; see pic. Indeed a similarity I hadnt thought of before.

And Sajen; wel I keep on getting amazed (and feeling stupid I didnt dare a shot) as I have seen sold a beautifull OLD kapkap -Solomons isld shell addornment- with shellstring sold for . . . . . . . .$172.00 this week!! Aarghhh
When I spot a nice one will notice you (as I'm not buying them).

Spunjer 1st May 2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacho
Binangon is a generic term for any sword (as used in the Iloilo dialect). But people here (Philippines) generally use the term binangon to refer to any Ilonggo sword.

However, "tenegres" are a special type of "binangon" -- one that has the characteristic monster face.

BTW, it is a very nice piece!

well explained!!! hopefully this should stop the blade-profile-differentiating-binangon-vs.-tenegre camp...

Sajen 1st May 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
well explained!!! hopefully this should stop the blade-profile-differentiating-binangon-vs.-tenegre camp...

Yup! :D :D

Sajen 1st May 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacho

Thank you very much! :)

Regards,

Detlef

VVV 1st May 2012 02:11 PM

Thanks Nacho.

Do you know the etymological background for those two sword terms?
Has, for instance, tenegre anything to do with Negros (just a wild guess)?

Michael