Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Restauration of Pamor (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21166)

mariusgmioc 7th March 2016 03:39 PM

Restauration of Pamor

Recently, I aquired a Wedhung with quite a spectacular pamor. Unfortunately, the blade had some spots of active rust that had to be removed. I managed to remove nicely all traces of active rust, but I also washed out most of the pamor as well. I am quite adept at etching wootz blades, but noticed to my surprised that my technique doesn't work with the pamor.
Does anybody know a where I can I have the pamor restored? :shrug:

David 7th March 2016 04:24 PM

The technique for staining blades is done with warangan (arsenic and lime). If you search the site you should find some instructions on this, though obtaining arsenic can be difficult for many. Some people use industrial grade arsenic which gives a fairly consistent result while many grind up the actual mineral for the process which can be less consistent, but might be easier to get your hands on.
There are people who do this as a service, but few outside of Indonesia. Where do you live?

mariusgmioc 7th March 2016 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
The technique for staining blades is done with warangan (arsenic and lime). If you search the site you should find some instructions on this, though obtaining arsenic can be difficult for many. Some people use industrial grade arsenic which gives a fairly consistent result while many grind up the actual mineral for the process which can be less consistent, but might be easier to get your hands on.
There are people who do this as a service, but few outside of Indonesia. Where do you live?

Thank you very much for your reply!

I live in the Netherlands, and here only asking about arsenic can land you in hot water. So there is no way I can legally get it. However, I will travel next month to Indonesia, so if you know any place there would be quite helpful.

David 7th March 2016 09:47 PM

There are an awful lot of keris collectors (and keris) in The Netherlands. Perhaps there is someone there who does traditional warangan treatments.
I cannot tell you much about who can do this for you in Indonesia. Perhaps others can help you there.

mariusgmioc 8th March 2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
There are an awful lot of keris collectors (and keris) in The Netherlands. Perhaps there is someone there who does traditional warangan treatments.
I cannot tell you much about who can do this for you in Indonesia. Perhaps others can help you there.

Thank you for trying!
I know a keris dealer here who might help.
In the worst case I will start experimenting myself with the chemicals I have. :rolleyes:

David 8th March 2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
In the worst case I will start experimenting myself with the chemicals I have. :rolleyes:

Well, as i state before, there is a bit of material in our archives on staining keris blades, including many suggestions on alternatives to using arsenic. Give a search and see what you find. ;)

Rafngard 8th March 2016 09:16 PM

Is anyone doing this in the U.S? I have a blade or two that could use an etch. I mentioned the possibility of trying this at home to my significant other, and her eyes got wide, and, well, let's just say I'm glad she didn't have a keris handy.

Thanks,
Leif

semar 9th March 2016 10:22 AM

warangan

hello depends ware you will go when you go to yogyakarta ik can help you with that i know 2 tukang maranggi

regards semar

mariusgmioc 9th March 2016 10:32 AM

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by semar
hello depends ware you will go when you go to yogyakarta ik can help you with that i know 2 tukang maranggi

regards semar

Thank you for your assitance!

Yes, I will go to Yogyakarta in May and I can take the Wedhung with me to have it etched.

So, any more information will be welcomed!

Best regards,

Marius

ariel 9th March 2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafngard
Is anyone doing this in the U.S? I have a blade or two that could use an etch. I mentioned the possibility of trying this at home to my significant other, and her eyes got wide, and, well, let's just say I'm glad she didn't have a keris handy.

Thanks,
Leif

Buy Selenium Dioxide on Amazon. Cheap, reliable, safe, perfect blueing for guns and knives.

David 9th March 2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
Buy Selenium Dioxide on Amazon. Cheap, reliable, safe, perfect blueing for guns and knives.

Ariel is no doubt correct that Selenium Dioxide will raise the pamor on your blade. It won't give you the correct traditional coloring that arsenic will render. So in the end it all depends on your preferences and how authentic you want your blade to look in the end. :shrug: :)

mariusgmioc 9th March 2016 05:00 PM

Thank you but...

... it doesn't work!

I already tried it and yes, I can get a very nice black blade but no pamor visible. I also tried different concentrations but still the results are quite dissapointing. I also tried Nital and Ferric Chloride that I normally use for etching wootz blades, but with pathetic results. So, what works for etching wootz or blacking steel, apparently doesn't work for revealing the pamor... or at least I didn't know how to make it work. :shrug:

PS: Selenium dioxide in diluted form works also fine for revealing the watering pattern of wootz.

ariel 13th March 2016 01:31 AM

That's interesting! How much do you dilute it?

semar 13th March 2016 03:42 AM

hello Marius with date you are in Djogya en ware you stay

reagads semar

mariusgmioc 13th March 2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
That's interesting! How much do you dilute it?

I started from Perma Blue which is based on Selenium Dioxide and Nitric acid, which I already had diluted to about 20%. (At this concentration I etched an Indian Katar that I didn't manage to etch with the classic Nital and Ferric Chloride (even this concentration blackened the Katar completely but upon gentle wiping with Pre-lim, I got a very nice an visible watering wootz structure).) Then I diluted this even more to about 10%, but I only got a nice and uniform grey patina that didn't reveal the pamor even after selective cleaning with Pre-lim.

PS: I used undiluted Perma Blue for blacking an antique Japanese Tsuba with stellar results, and that's how I had it on hand to experiment with the Wedhung.

mariusgmioc 13th March 2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semar
hello Marius with date you are in Djogya en ware you stay

reagads semar

Didn't finish my itinerary yet, but I will let you know.