Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hand made Celtic knives? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21741)

driftwould 4th August 2016 08:13 AM

Hand made Celtic knives?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

This might be somewhat off topic, but it also connects a bit. I'm looking for advice concerning getting a custom, Celtic knife made. I've been looking around online for smiths to make such an item, but am a bit lost and am hoping you might be able to help.

Some of you know I travel to collect knives hand-made in ancient traditions from different parts of the world. In this case, I'd like to have one made for my own use in the tradition of my own ancestral, Celtic cultures. Does anyone know of someone who can make such an item?

Aside from Celtic decoration, I'd like this functional working knife to have these features:

Full tang, non-folding 4-6" blade
Handle with good grip when wet/gutting game/etc
as corrosion/rust proof as possible (I'm often in jungles)
Single edged blade, flat spine with 90 degree angle for striking fires on flint (can design be added to the spine while retaining this function?)
Damascas
Best balance in toughness/hardness, etc in order to knap, batton, etc - this is a camping/hiking/survival tool that happens to look nice and needs to be durable
Finger guard
Sharp pointy tip (for thrusting, whittling, etc - suggestions and input welcome here!)
Solid, flat(ish?) pommel for light hammering/driving tent stakes/etc

Your input and suggestions on blade shape, grinds (saber, full flat, etc), steel types, as well as other considerations, features, etc for this kind of knife would be very welcome as well!

I'd love a knife that sharpens easily, keeps an edge well, and doesn't corrode or break easily. I know no one knife can have the best of all traits, so I'd also love to hear your thoughts on how what kind of balance can be achieved between my desired traits, through what methods, with what materials, and at what rough price range (rough estimate ).

As for Celtic artistry, I found this to be a beautiful example (see attached photos):

http://iknifecollector.com/photo/cel...ource=activity

I expect I'll have to go with something much simpler, artistically speaking, only because of price considerations, but was hoping you could help out

If this is off topic, please DO more it to an appropriate area - I wasn't sure where to post it...

stekemest 5th August 2016 08:21 PM

Well, "celtic" is no precise archeological term. What place, what time? The knife shown here has little to do with real celtic (= iron age) tools and weapons. However, if "celtic" is understood as a broader ethnological term, it may be open to all sorts of interpretations...

kronckew 5th August 2016 08:32 PM

the 'celtic' peoples stretched from the ukraine to britain, north of the romans, and included cletic gaul and parts of iberia. their culture included a very artistic talent, as well as a vast trading network from one side to the other. the romans considered them 'uncivilised' in the original meaning of the word, they did NOT live in cities, and they dis not speak latin or greek which made them unintelligable and their language thusounded like bar-bar-bar nonsense, so they were barbarians.

see my PM. ;)

Ian 5th August 2016 10:24 PM

Some suggestions

Hi driftwould.

I sent you a PM earlier today but several people have replied since then, so I will repeat some of what I said earlier and add some further suggestions.

This site does not really focus on modern replicas, although we have certainly discussed these from time to time. Also, there are a handful only of knife makers here who might be able to help you.

As far as you or other readers of this forum wishing to find someone who could create a modern version of an antique weapon, I asked the Vikingsword staff--the other moderators and Dr Lee Jones who owns this site--about where you might find more answers. If you have not already done so, we think you may have success posting on the following sites:

myArmoury.com

bladeforums.com

Sword Forum International

This is not an exhaustive list and others may be able to add to it. Thanks again for posting here and I hope you find someone to help with your project.

Ian.

VANDOO 6th August 2016 12:08 AM

THE QUESTION I WOULD HAVE TO ASK IS DO YOU WANT SOMETHING IN A OLD ORIGINAL CELTIC FORM OR SOMETHING MODERN IN DESIGN FITTING YOUR WANTS WITH CELTIC DECORATIVE DESIGNS ON IT. A SEARCH OF WHAT THE OLD ORIGINAL KNIVES AND DAGGERS LOOKED LIKE MAY HELP YOU CHOOSE SOMETHING THAT MAY SERVE YOUR NEEDS. OR A SEARCH OF MODERN DESIGNS FOR A SURVIVAL KNIFE AND CELTIC DESIGNS MAY HELP YOU DESIGN WHAT YOU LIKE BEST. THEN ALL YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO IS FIND SOMEONE TO MAKE YOU ONE. A INTERESTING PROJECT, GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED ON HOW IT COMES OUT. :D

A. G. Maisey 6th August 2016 12:24 AM

It might be a good idea to contact either:-

http://knifemakersguild.com/

or

http://www.akg.org.au/

the top address is the site of the USA knife makers guild, the bottom address is the site of the Australian knife makers guild. Both guilds have very talented members who can make to your design and would be prepared to discuss design with you.

Perhaps an email to both guilds asking for suggestions of members who might be able to assist with the type of work you want done, might be the way to go.

driftwould 9th August 2016 08:51 AM

Thanks to everyone for the extremely helpful replies both here and in PM's!

While I'm far less informed about specifics of many kinds of knives and their functions/steel types/etc than most of you, I'm fortunately very well versed in the history of Celtic peoples (however you define them in this or that era/geographical area) and pretty up on the changing artistic trends from the La Tenne culture spirals etc. down through Insular/"Celtic" examples of art both in things like the Book of Kells, and similar, non-Celtic artforms from other cultures such as Viking era Scandinavian interlace.

What I'm looking for in this project is a knife for my real, heavy survival/bushcraft/hunting/camping/hiking use with specific aspects of Celtic decorative design that I, being of Scottish and Irish descent, have grown to favor personally over a lifetime of exposure to modern incarnations of Celtic culture and some aspects of the rich and long history of the related Celtic traditions. I see this as me, a legitimate inheritor of this particular historical/cultural background, continuing and expressing it in my own way as a modern, living extension of it as it continues down into the future through the present.

Personally, I've always liked intricate interlace, especially animal themed (hounds and wolves in particular), as well as triskelions and other symbols which were often adapted to Christian use (Trinity) from ancient uses. I also really like what are often referred to today as Josephine knots because of some of the symbolism that we, in the last few hundred years, have begun to assign to them. Given that this is, from my POV, me expressing an ancient cultural heritage in a modern sense, it also fits well with the overall theme of my collection - usually taken from other cultures' modern and beautifully embellished expressions of ancient blade making traditions from places around the world with either practical or relevant ceremonial purposes, and usually bought on site from the smiths in their forges or shops. Since we shop from smiths online these days in our culture, I'm ok with that for this particular item.

All that being said, I also REALLY need a handle that will hold firmly and comfortably when wet/bloody/sweaty/etc.

Again, thanks to everyone for the responses!