Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Katipunan? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17695)

Rick 7th October 2013 03:48 PM

Katipunan?

2 Attachment(s)
Comments ?

David 7th October 2013 04:21 PM

Nice dagger, but the blade looks later than that to me... :shrug:

Spunjer 7th October 2013 07:48 PM

can't tell you for sure the time frame on this Rick, but i would guess pre WW2???
btw, is the blade brass?

David 7th October 2013 07:54 PM

Ron, i have a feeling the color of the blade in these shots is just bad white balancing, but Rick would know more. The blade looks like it has a nickel chrome plating to me. :shrug:

Rick 7th October 2013 08:55 PM

No David, tis indeed brass ... :)

David 8th October 2013 12:08 AM

Ah Ha! :) Well that changes everything i said then... :D

Spunjer 8th October 2013 02:52 AM

can't say for sure, but brass bladed daggers i've seen tend to be older. the one i have is definitely 1st republic era (aturn of the century). this particular dagger might just be from around that time frame, rick...

Battara 8th October 2013 04:19 AM

Purpose? I think we have discussed the possibility that brass blades were ceremonial in nature.

Rick 8th October 2013 02:18 PM

I would love to know a little more as we seem to be at a stand as regards any further information .
I do remember reading in the Buru Quartet novels about a non-ferrous metal dagger being used for an assassination and something, IIRC, about it (the dagger) being used for a specific reason .

Spunjer 8th October 2013 02:49 PM

little is known regarding the swords and knives of Luzon. Migueldiaz would be the one to ask, since he is doing some heavy research on this, but unfortunately he doesn't post here any longer. perhaps you could pm him?

Robert 14th October 2013 01:05 AM

Hello Rick, Very nice brass bladed dagger. Can you tell me if the collar is one piece or if it has a solder seam? The earlier ones that I have seen and handled seem to have seamed collars where the later ones usually have solid collars which were most likely made from spent cartridge casings. I have heard that these brass and copper bladed daggers are believed (when used) to be able to inflict a wound that will not readily heal making them more prone to infection thus leading to the subsequent demise of the victim. I have one in my personal collection with a copper blade that is coated with arsenic. :eek: Looking at your dagger I would date it to the first quarter of the twentieth century.

Best,
Robert

Rick 14th October 2013 01:29 AM

Hi Robert,
I believe it is a one piece collar, and what you have stated about the use of brass somewhat jives with the impression that I have gotten through my reading except that brass was also considered effective against people with more than natural powers .

Multumesc 14th October 2013 10:16 AM

Katipunan?

Nice dagger ;) :)

kino 14th October 2013 06:13 PM

I was told that copper / brass daggers were used to cut bags of gunpowder because they don't create a spark.

Rick 14th October 2013 06:36 PM

That would make great good sense ! ;)