Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Irish Pistol with bayonet (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19535)

Ken Maddock 19th January 2015 09:04 PM

Irish Pistol with bayonet

6 Attachment(s)
While I had the camera out I took a few photos of another gun with a bayonet
Again this is an irish one
This one was made in Dublin by the prominent sword maker J Read of Parliament street
You can also see Dublin registration mark
DU 1442 on the barrel

Lovely little pistol with barrel unscrewing and all mechanism working
Bayonet is released by pulling back on trigger guard
Hope you like this gun, picked it up in a junk shop for less than 2 take out pizzas :)
All the best
K

Shakethetrees 19th January 2015 10:27 PM

Congratulations, Ken, I'm really really jealous!

Nice pistol!

Ken Maddock 20th January 2015 07:58 AM

Thanks for compliment
Just forgot to mention one thing
The box and powder flask are not original to the pistol, the box is an old traveling balance box, ground it in a car boot sale and reckoned it would work which it thankfully did. The flask is an auction pick up which I think matches. Bullet mould has yet to be found
Regards
Ken

fernando 20th January 2015 03:55 PM

Nice pistol Ken !
... and with the barrel still being possible to unscrew, which so often isn't.
You must tell me where that junk shop is about :cool:

Ken Maddock 21st January 2015 11:01 AM

Hi Fernando
Thanks for the comments,
I like this little guy as well, very well made and even the safety works
It was very rusty when I got it but complete
It all had to be opened up and taken apart
I even had to resort to a oxy acetylene blow torch to free up some of the parts
The barrel was not budging at all
My method was (first check gun not loaded)
soak barrel in penetrating oil
get a concrete expanding bolt wrap it in rag (to save on the scratches) and insert into the barrel and open it out by screwing in the bolt. then you have something you can hold very tight with a vice grip

the back of lock vice is held in a padded vice, careful not to hold onto the handle as this would not support any tourque. hold as close to the barrel as possible as you do not want the heat de tempering the springs in the gun
then try to twist off the barrel,
if it does not come a bit of heat always helps.
sometimes there is no success and barrel remains locked and removing the bolt can be difficult but is doable, I have had to resort to burning out the rag to help remove the bolt but only once.
Hope this works for you when needed
regards
ken

fernando 21st January 2015 12:56 PM

Ah, i wouldn't have both some of those tools and the hands (;)) ... besides the fear that the heating part would damage things.
I have tried to turn my stuck up ones with a padded grip and i didn't manage to convince them.
So i called it an end :shrug:
... But thanks a lot for the comprehensive instructions; it's always good to know :cool: .

Ken Maddock 21st January 2015 01:41 PM

Hi Fernando
with oxy acetylene you will not damage rusty parts at all, obviously with plated or blued parts its a no no
The padded jaws method never worked for me as the barrel swivels to easily, also the temptation is to turn by the handle which is just going to wreck the gun
If I get another gun with similar "problems" I will take a photo of the process.
My Father is a mechanical engineer so a comprehensive workshop with lathes and milling machines, only 50 min drive away.

Its great to be out in the work shop with him on a project messing around,
hopefully new stock coming in soon to work on
regards
Ken

Fernando K 21st January 2015 03:01 PM

Hello;

The method unscrew the barrel, is to use the tool you use, in the mouth of the barrel there are probably 4 or 8 splines, in which a portion of a tool is introduced, while conical square with a handle to rotate. This allows rotating the barrel without any risk of damaging it or leave marks. If you do not have the original tool, very easy, com a copper bar, while making a square conical portion and to which a handle is attached. In any case, suffers damage the tool, because it is softer than the barrel.

Deoxidiser part of the barrel, I recommend immersing the entire piece in light oil and applying heat hastaque the east by boiling oil. Allow to cool and repeat the operation several times. The successive expansion and decline caused by heat, causes the oxide crust is broken and the oil to penetrate.

This method is "forced bullet" because after gunpowder and bullet placed in the body of the gun, the barrel is threaded and the bullet is retained, because it is a little bigger than the caliber of the barrel

Affectionately. Fernando K
(Sorry for the translator)

GIO 21st January 2015 04:47 PM

For eliminating rust you can try EVAPO-RUST which is completely safe for iron. 30 minutes immersion is sufficient for light rust, othervise the piece can stay in the liquid also 24 or 48 hours.