Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Post Your Latest Acquisition here... (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1792)

Spunjer 3rd April 2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Seems an interesting group. One of the curiosities, at least to me, of language distributions in the Philippines today is that the main language on Palawan is Tagalog. Now Tagalog is the language of the major group on Luzon, but it is a fair distance from Luzon to Palawan, and parts of the Visayas are in between. When I ask locals why Tagalog is spoken on Palawan, they simply say it is part of the Tagalog Region. Anyone have a more specific answer?

interesting, ian. didn't know that the predominant dialect over there is tagalog. i always assumed that since it's in the same latitude as the visayan region, a variant of the visayan dialect would be spoken there....

Eric A 12th April 2006 03:44 PM

Kankanaey, not Ifugao

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Not a weapon but still interesting. Ifugao, very fine and tight weaving probably early 20th century.

Only Kankanaey and Bontoc have anthropomorphic figures on tangkil. Gaddang, Itneg and Kalinga have simple protrusions of wood/hair, but for the Ifugao the tusks are left bare, as far as I know... ;)

Eric A 12th April 2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Bill,
Thank you very much for your comments on the armband and for the information that you offer. I'm looking forward to receiving it. I found this picture somewhere but don't remember where. It's not the best quality but it does show an armband with a bulul. Thanks again.

Robert

The photograph is by Eduardo Massferré, taken in Sagada, Mountain Province, ca. 1950

Ian 15th April 2006 07:59 PM

Philippine tabak

3 Attachment(s)
A Philippine tabak, late-19th or early-20th C.

Ian

Battara 15th April 2006 09:39 PM

Nice Ian, I have a similar piece.

themorningstar 12th May 2006 07:13 PM

gardening tool?

4 Attachment(s)
"odd" gardening tool found in a shed...
talk about the luck o' the irish...
but i'm not irish...
lolz...

zelbone 12th May 2006 10:32 PM

I'd like to see this shed... :D

Spunjer 17th May 2006 03:23 AM

Danganan Kris

7 Attachment(s)
Danganan Kris with blade of sulu origin. 18th c. low grade silver kakatua and banati tagub (mindanao ???) appears to be of later addition, perhaps 19th c. OAL = 26". blade = 21"

panday 17th May 2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
Danganan Kris with blade of sulu origin. 18th c. low grade silver kakatua and banati tagub (mindanao ???) appears to be of later addition, perhaps 19th c. OAL = 26". blade = 21"

Wow! that's a beautiful kris Spunger :) good catch.

Mapico1 17th May 2006 07:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm a new member,love this idea......
Here's mine,came in today...
Leka tribe from Congo.1900.

Spunjer 17th May 2006 09:40 PM

thanks, pre

Battara 18th May 2006 01:03 AM

Spunger, according to Cato's classifications, your kris might be more Sulu due to the trunk area and the noticible lack of any okir.

Spunjer 18th May 2006 01:08 AM

hi battara.. right you are. the blade has all the sulu characteristic. what i'm wondering about are the hilt and tagub's origin; whether it's mindanao or sulu..

Pangeran Datu 18th May 2006 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henk
Galvano,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice keris, but you should turn the ukiran (hilt) to the other side.

Bear in mind though, that the position of the hilt relative to the scabbard is a convention that may vary from area to area.
For instance, Surakarta and Yogyakarta strictly observe the convention of the hilt being parallel to the scabbard and facing the short end of the crosspiece.
Madura and Bali on the other hand, have their hilts either at an angle to the scabbard and in the direction of the short end of the crosspiece, or, as for Surakarta and Yogyakarta.
As a matter of fact, I have seen kerises from Malaysia, where the hilts are as in the above picture, parallel to the scabbard and facing the long end of the cross piece.
Even in the Moro kris, one can find the hilts parallel to the scabbard and facing either the short end or the long end of the crosspiece.

drdavid 20th May 2006 03:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all
I posted this Rencong a few weeks back on another thread but not a peep was heard, I like it so much I am posting it again.
cheers
drd

kronckew 20th May 2006 06:40 AM

hi drdavid, love the rencong, here's my horn version:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gladius/rencong1.jpg

IainN 21st May 2006 11:36 PM

I've had this for a little while but just got around to taking some pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...m/P1010027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...m/P1010034.jpg

A mid Qing period jian in decent shape, the guard is particularly nice while the pommel is a bit rough in construction. Overall dark chocolate patina which makes photographing a bit of a bummer. :D

You can see the rest of the pics I have of it here:
http://esnips.com/web/inormsPhotos

kino 27th August 2006 11:33 PM

Barung #28

4 Attachment(s)
A recent pick up.
OAL 21.5", Blade 13.5"
Like Bill's huge Panabas, this is also a published piece.

Bill M 28th August 2006 12:00 AM

:)

Battara 28th August 2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino
A recent pick up.
OAL 21.5", Blade 13.5"
Like Bill's huge Panabas, this is also a published piece.

Thanks Kino. your pictures are very helpful. I assume that you mean that this is in Cato's book (besides looking familiar). These closeup pictures are wonderful. Maraming Salamat. :D

BTW - what is the "28" about?

Battara 28th August 2006 09:01 PM

Oh, and of course my latest acquistion :D :

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ebone+kampilan

kino 29th August 2006 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Thanks Kino. your pictures are very helpful. I assume that you mean that this is in Cato's book (besides looking familiar). These closeup pictures are wonderful. Maraming Salamat. :D

BTW - what is the "28" about?

Way sapayan, B. :) Yes it's in Cato' book & in Arts of Asia magazine.

I don't know what the "28" means. I noticed it when I was cleaning the blade.

Let me know if you have problems in securing the whale bone. I know of someone that deals in Ivory (marine, elephant, fossil), and others of related
nature.

Nice catch on the Kamp.

Lew 29th August 2006 02:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my last purchase.

Lew

Tim Simmons 4th September 2006 11:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice stick 28 inches.

Bill M 4th September 2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Nice stick 28 inches.

Zulu? Swazi?

utami 4th September 2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
hi drdavid, love the rencong, here's my horn version:

hmm, you have a wonderfull canggei rencong kronckrew, the hilt & the scabbard made from white horn, i guest. thanks for share with all of us here :)

utami 4th September 2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdavid
Hi all
I posted this Rencong a few weeks back on another thread but not a peep was heard, I like it so much I am posting it again.
cheers
drd

wow.. what a beutifull pieces you have :) congrat mate
is it a elephant tusk for the hilt and the scabbard ?

Tim Simmons 4th September 2006 05:23 PM

Hello Bill,

Where it comes from is a little hard to be sure of. The seller had a very similar but much longer, a staff but damaged, with leather covering the ball part. The stitched leather work reminded me of West African work and as I have another long twisted baton from West Africa I am inclined to think this may well be from those parts rather than the south. Just guess work, nice old one.

panday 18th September 2006 03:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to share my newest acquisitions.

Spunjer 18th September 2006 12:21 PM

nice! i was saving for the the one on the very top, lol, but at the rate i was going, i had 33 months to go. glad it went to you, tho...