Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is this saber from Eastern Europe or? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4522)

erlikhan 4th May 2007 01:16 PM

Is this saber from Eastern Europe or?

6 Attachment(s)
Can anybody please determine the exact nationality of this sword?

it is 105 cms overall. a cavalry saber I guess, with a really heavy,wide blade.Pleasure to hold in hand. Scabbard is sewed leather over wood and iron mountings. it writes KO...... LOHARA..... maker's name perhaps? Rest is erased.
Regards

katana 5th May 2007 01:09 PM

Hi erlikhan,
my initial thought was India, ....and after 'googling' Lohara , I discovered it is actually a place in India :) .

erlikhan 5th May 2007 02:04 PM

hi katana.right. some googling adressed me a region (Lohar) in India too, but not strange if so? The sword looks militaristic and a well equiped regular army style. The hand guard has a serial number (I 89 probably). Plus the writing is in not Indian but Latin alphabet. Perhaps,could be of British origin used by their forces established in Lohar region of India?

katana 5th May 2007 05:06 PM

Hi erlikhan,
A number of British millitary pattern swords were produced in India....I think Jim McDougall would be the man to answer your question more fully. Hopefully he will see this thread.
Also Lohar, was an area that was mined for quality iron ore....but, so far, I can find no reference to swordsmithing or forging in the area. Perhaps the steel produced from the Lohar iron ore was considered high quality...perhaps the stamp on the blade refers to quality and not where the sword was manufactured :shrug:

I also found this..... which may be relavent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadia_Lohar

And this....
".....LOHAR - Itinerant blacksmiths who used to be great warriors making their own weapons. Legend has it they originated in Chittorgarh but were defeated in the siege of that city in 1308. They then became nomadic...."

spiral 6th May 2007 05:17 PM

Looks like it could also be a sword made for one of the mountain batterys, {Artillary.} to me.

In ww1 they were made mole & Wilkinson, but I am sure loads would have been made in India both then & earlier.

Spiral

Jim McDougall 8th May 2007 08:25 PM

Hi Katana,
Thank you for the kind note! :)
This is indeed a British cavalry sabre made for native forces in India and dates from c.1880's to early 20th c. The sewn leather scabbard is typically found on these, and I know that J.Bourne & Co. produced sabres with almost identical scabbards. I have seen an example of one of these triple bar hilt sabres (cf. the M1829 light cavalry sabre) made by Mole and marked to the 21st cavalry (I believe Frontier Force).
Interestingly, the M1796 type blade remained popular in India until the 20th c.
and Bourne manufactured stirrup hilt sabres with the M1796 blade well into the 19th century.
Hi Spiral,
The mountain artillery sabres were actually more cutlass like, and were as you note often produced my Mole.

Very nice example of a British colonial sabre of c.1880 for native cavalry in India (for those with Wagner "Cut & Thrust Weapons" there is one shown but I do not have the page or plate number (books not handy at present).So if someone could reference I would appreciate it :)

All the best ,
Jim

spiral 13th May 2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Spiral,
The mountain artillery sabres were actually more cutlass like, and were as you note often produced my Mole.
Jim

Ahh yes indeed Jim, a little blip in my visual memory bank there. A quick check revealed you are of course correct. ;)

cheers,
Spiral

Jim McDougall 13th May 2007 06:31 PM

Its great hearing from you Spiral, thanks for the note! :)
Trust me I know the memory blips well!!!
All the best,
Jim

erlikhan 16th May 2007 10:11 AM

Great. Everything is clear now.Thank you all.