Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My new Rapier with question (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27386)

Merenti 26th October 2021 07:25 PM

My new Rapier with question

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,

here are my new beatuiful Rapier. The bladesmith is Tomas Aiala, but i can not found this marker ( T with crown). I hope u can tell what the secret is.

mariusgmioc 26th October 2021 09:46 PM

Toledo :)

Radboud 26th October 2021 11:08 PM

What a beautiful rapier, congratulations.

fernando 27th October 2021 11:11 AM

If i am correct ...

2 Attachment(s)
Excelent rapier, Merenti. If the mark shown has a little S between the crown and the T, this would be the personal mark of Thomas de Ayala. This would mean that you have the real thing, which is rather unusual; Ayala was one of names more used by other smiths to give their blades a grade of quality.
If instead the mark is a T with a little o over it, that would be one of marks of the city of Toledo, often used many of its smiths.

Merenti 27th October 2021 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys, Thank u for your opinion and thanks @Fernando!! I think this is the reason for the t.

Here are a pic from the other side, they are the same mark

midelburgo 28th October 2021 12:09 PM

Your rapier is esthetically pleasant.
If you want to be sure its blade is by Tomas Ayala, probably the best way is to make comparisons with well established examples. I believe Madrid Royal armories and the Wallace Collection have some.

AHorsa 28th October 2021 10:44 PM

What a beauty! I love the consistent decorative elements. Congrats and thanks for showing!

fernando 29th October 2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merenti (Post 267246)
... @Fernando!! I think this is the reason for the t.
Here are a pic from the other side, they are the same mark

Merenti, i am sorry i don't get you. Which T are you referring to; the one of Ayala or one of Toledo.
Why don't you give a little cleaning to the mark, so tat we may better discern the details. Now that you showed the other side i seem to see different symbols :confused:.

Merenti 29th October 2021 04:42 PM

hey Fernando, when the rapier is at home and it feels good I take photos. :). Maybe the 1st side is Toledo and the 2nd side Aiala ?

mariusgmioc 30th October 2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando (Post 267278)
Merenti, i am sorry i don't get you. Which T are you referring to; the one of Ayala or one of Toledo.
Why don't you give a little cleaning to the mark, so tat we may better discern the details. Now that you showed the other side i seem to see different symbols :confused:.

Exactly what I was thinking!

But BE VERY CAREFUL HOW YOU CLEAN THE MARK!

I suggest to drop one drop of WD40 on the mark and let it soak for a few hours (renew the process if the WD40 evaporates).

Then wipe the mark with cotton buds and WD40.

Anything else might be too aggressive and damage the mark.

PS: Fernando, I see the same T with "?" on top, the same like on the other side. :confused:

PPS: Either way, I believe you have the real thing!

fernando 30th October 2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc (Post 267285)
... Fernando, I see the same T with "?" on top, the same like on the other side. :confused: ...!

Says the young man; but my eyes are not the same any more, Marius :(.