Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dating Earliest Barrels: the Importance of the Position of the Touch Hole (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18049)

fernando 15th February 2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy T.
Do you also know an other book where the Aljubarrota barrel(s) have been published? :)

Welcome to the forum Paddy.
The only other quotation on Aljubarrota barrels is that mentioned in post #35 of this thread, which is published in "Memorial das Peças de Artilharia do Museu da Marinha". However as it is assumed by its author, this example, as well as the one published in "Prestige de l'Armurerie", may not be considered factual evidence. I am afraid that the naming of Aljubarrota may only be seen with a symbolic connotation.
Read the whole contents of my posts #7 and #8.

Marcus den toom 21st March 2019 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As i like to raise this thread from its depts from now and than, i present this (for me) unknown hand cannon, dated! 1485 (?)
If anyone has better pictures of this piece and its whereabouts i would be greatfull.

Auction description:
A Rare Wrought-Iron Hand-Cannon
Possibly 15th Century
Of waisted cylindrical form reinforced at the muzzle and breech, the former struck with a mark between the date 1485 and inscribed 'INII' above, the latter with recessed touch-hole with remains of lead lining, the mid section inscribed 'Taufers' and numbered '16' (rust patinated overall)
24 cm. high, 4.3 cm. bore
FOOTNOTES
Provenance:
Acquired in Basel, 1960

The inscription presumably refers to Schloss Taufers which is located in the South Tyrol

ariel 23rd March 2019 07:41 AM

INII likely stands for Iesus Nazorenus (I...?) Iudaeorum, i.e. “Jesus of Nazareth ( ?) of the Jews”.
Usually , it was INRI, with R meaning Rex, i.e. King.
I do not know what “I” means.

ariel 23rd March 2019 10:13 AM

Sorry, double post.

corrado26 23rd March 2019 10:40 AM

Could it be "JESUS NAZARENUS IMPERATOR JUDAEORORUM" :)

fernando 23rd March 2019 12:32 PM

Or if these initials mean something totally different ? ;) .

Beautiful cannon ... by the way, Marcus :cool: .

Spiridonov 16th May 2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus den toom
recessed touch-hole with remains of lead liningl

It does not looks like lining. I seems that it's just bigger hole of sleeve pressed on the rear side of the barrel

fernando 16th May 2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiridonov
It does not looks like lining. I seems that it's just bigger hole of sleeve pressed on the rear side of the barrel

Yes, it does look like that indeed, Alexander.