Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Translation Assistance on Ottoman sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3416)

RSWORD 23rd October 2006 02:38 AM

Translation Assistance on Ottoman sword

4 Attachment(s)
I have a rather lengthy inscription on an early Ottoman sword done in a very stylistic style of script that I was hoping may be translatable. Due to the length of inscriptions I will post in seperate threads. Thanks in advance for any assistance. The pictures are taken from right to left and are in order from right to left.

RSWORD 23rd October 2006 02:42 AM

Translation assistance on Ottoman sword - 2

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the inscription on the opposite side of the blade again from right to left and the picture order is right to left of the inscription as photographed from hilt towards blade tip. Also, the final picture is of a separate cartouche. Again, thanks in advance for any assistance in translating.

RSWORD 23rd October 2006 10:57 PM

Ian,

Thanks for combining the threads.

Philip 25th October 2006 02:55 AM

in the cartouche

Hey, Rick
The round cartouche contains the inscription "put thy trust in God". On all the inscriptions, the style of writing is called "kufic", it's an early form of written Arabic in which the letters are extremely angular. Rather similar to the archaic "seal script" of Chinese. Both are popular to this day for decorative purposes, but they're damn hard to read!

I'll try and take a stab (no pun intended) at the other ones, but it ain't going to be easy. If there are any Islamic scholars or art history professors who specialize in the Middle East, please help us out!

Say, bud, haven't I seen this sword before? :)

RSWORD 25th October 2006 11:49 AM

Hey Philip,

Why yes, you have seen this sword before. I believe it was at the Goat festival of '02 where we led a procession of Rockette dancers each with a sword in hand skewered with tender goat morsels! :D

I have noticed recently several members with excellent translation abilities especially in various styles of script and was hoping they might give it an attempt. I appreciate your translation assistance on the cartouche.

Rick

Hrthuma ibn Marwan 26th October 2006 02:11 AM

wow this is extremely hard to read! just as Philip said, unfortunately.

You see, its an old type of writting (not the normal kind of writting you would see). Calligraphy mixed with other decorations make it hectic for the reader.
Sadly, its all "sqeezed" in to fit on the blade. I think it would have been alot easiyer to read if it was written elsewhere.

Anyway, Good luck :)

RSWORD 27th October 2006 09:05 PM

I appreciate the feedback thusfar. Zifir I received your PM and I appreciate you having a look. Hopefully someone will remember that old friend that can read kufic. :D