Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kris/Kalis with straight blade (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19993)

Battara 24th May 2015 01:43 PM

Yes Dave. So far as I can tell they are fairly rare.

Spunjer 25th May 2015 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
did a forum search, seems batarra had a kris with a silver ganja, and spunjer stated he'd likely never see one again! well...:) here you go.

thanks for posting this, kronckew! very rare piece, indeed. i believe there was another member here that has the similar type other than Jose. Kino?

kronckew 31st May 2015 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
decided not to go with brass bands for now. (can't find my soldering kit :confused: )

found a quick source for rattan tho.

got lazy & just did a straight whipping wrap. photo from just after wrapping as it dries. will oil it after it dries.

next on the menu is the grip. inshallah bukrah.

Battara 31st May 2015 05:54 PM

Nice and may still be correct!

Rafngard 8th June 2015 04:16 AM

I was the 2nd place bidder on this one, and a very nice last second snipe if I may so. Well done!

Though I'm sad I lost (especially with the silver ganga!), I'm glad it went to someone here, and in particular someone better suited to take care of it than I.

Also, wow, just wow. A very nice Kris.

Have fun,
Leif

kronckew 8th June 2015 08:07 AM

sorry for sniping you, but i couldn't let this one go. it wanted to live with me. ;)

i have been sniped out of a couple nice things myself, but i always bid my maximum bid in the last seconds, don't want to encourage others to spend more than they can afford on impulse ;). many times the current high bidder has also bid his max and i lose anyway, or another person has bid higher also at the end. moral of this is always bid what you think is your best offer, sometimes you win low, sometimes you still lose.

ebay is weirdly politically correct anyway, it won't let me bid on perfectly legal antique knives, tho swords, sabres, axes, spears, halberds, tanks, field artillery, tactical nukes, battleships, kitchen knives* are OK. was watching a nice forrester's hunting sword/dagger last week, went to bid & ebay rejected me due to their policy of not allowing UK residents to buy these evil people murderering weapons of mass destruction. (i then tried bidding thru ebay USA, same result.) a number of years ago some liberal lefty newspaper reporter did a story on how easy it was for children to buy horrible sharp pointy folding samurai knives and dagger on ebay. ebay, ever PC, only allowed people with a verified debit/credit card to bid on them as they were nominally over 18. (you can only legally buy one if over 18.mm i am a few times older than that) the lefty then pointed out yet again that some banks issued debit cards to 17 yr. olds. thus the total ban. :(

(the above mentioned (pre nazi) hunting sword also had the evil nasty sheeple scaring word 'dagger' in the description' which i assume triggered the prohibition - it wound up going for a bit more than i tried to bid anyway)

*- most knife 'crimes' in the UK are done with kitchen knives, or cheap stainless steel chinese 'samurai' swords/knives. i recall one news article mentioning a teen-aged felon was caught with a '9 inch samurai sword'. nice PC newspeak propaganda, that. apparently there has not been any significant crime with expensive antique or custom knifes.

Rafngard 8th June 2015 04:09 PM

No worries on the snipe; all's fair in bids & war. ;-)

Actually, more than anything I was impressed. It came in at literally the last second. Excellent sharp shooting. Bravo!

Wow. That makes sense given what I know about the UK (I have a few friends "across the pond"), but I never would have put that together myself. Though it is good to know that I have one less sniper to worry about on anything with "dagger" in the description :D.

Ok, I'm intensely curious about what a "9 inch samurai sword" would look like. Made for a very small man? :shrug:

Or a euphemism for a very "large" man? ;)

Have fun, and enjoy your wonderful kris
Leif

kino 8th June 2015 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
thanks for posting this, kronckew! very rare piece, indeed. i believe there was another member here that has the similar type other than Jose. Kino?

I just saw this. Amazing memory Spunjer.
Here is the thread
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=Kris

Kronckew - if you haven't progressed any further on the decision of wrapping the hilt, perhaps some braided rattan gaucho knots.

I did this one with gaucho knots and a Spanish ring knot.

kronckew 8th June 2015 05:40 PM

:D you overestimate my skills with braiding. i'm considering a 4-part braided 1st layer in dark brown 2mm braided organic string with an overlay of intermittent bands of 1 mm. black string. all lacquered after i'm happy with it. torn out and try something else if not.

had a few things going , hope to do something this week when the fit isn't hitting the shan anymore. ;)