Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   unusual Oman kattara ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=947)

Rivkin 7th July 2005 05:17 PM

unusual Oman kattara ?

4 Attachment(s)
Dear All,

I've came into pocession of an unusual Omani kattara (?), thanks in part to RSWORD.

What is typical Omani about it:
Rather long (32 inches exactly) straight fullered blade, hilt that gradually narrows towards the pommel, heavy prismatic pommel.

What is strange (to me):
hilt rather than being typical omani wirework or straps of leather is made of some sort of horn - two halves brought together and connected with silver (?) ring, covered with an engraved ornament. I can see three dots and may be a fish in this ornament ? Very unusual for kattara. The pommel is more prismatic than squarish.

The blade:

To me the fuller is made very nicely, the blade is very springy, with a rombic cross-shape (it's thick in the middle and narrows towards the corners). Solingen's running wolf is present.

I don't know if it's local or real (could it be - I heard real blades are not uncommon in kattaras ?). Afaik fake wolfs sometimes either too detailed or completely wrong (portraying a different animal alltogether). This one seems to be a little bit more detailed than usual, but it fits quite nicely some real Solingen patterns I have in the catalogues (which does not mean it's real). In general I have a good feeling concerning this blade's quality. Patina under the hilt is extremely deep and blackish.

Dear All ! Could you help me please with your opinions ?

Sincerely yours,

Kirill Rivkin

ariel 7th July 2005 06:49 PM

:mad: :mad: CURSES! :mad: :mad:
You outbid me on this one!
Well, some deep breathing and I am (almost) calm....
As a rule, kattaras have very thin and "whippy" blades; I had a feeling that this one might be a bot "stabler" than usual. Am I right?
As to the "wolf-mark" it looks absoltely real, but the location is strange: in the middle of the blade. Usually, those were stamped on the ricasso... Would not be surprised if it was a locally-made blade (which is even better from my point of view!).
Enjoy it!

M.carter 7th July 2005 08:02 PM

Although Im no expert at this, I would give my amature feeling. Kattaras seem so light, so "fragile" if you know what I mean. As apposed to a European or medieval Islamic broadsword, they seem as if they would shatter or break apart after some light sparring.

Rivkin 7th July 2005 08:23 PM

Thanks, I did think about the mark's location.

Concerning fragility - I would not say so about this blade. I've seen kattaras only on photographs, so I can't make an opinion, but this blade, while quite light, nevertheless seems sturdy enough. It's quite thick in the middle, however may be a little bit lighter than similar european blades. The sword has a total mass of 950 gramms (give or take).

Tim Simmons 7th July 2005 08:24 PM

Very thin blades do seem a little ineffective. The value of the metal probably makes the need for thin whippy blades, I think we mean high tensile. :) These blades can be of razor sharpness and as such deadly like many African weapons. Many Indian blades are like a long razor blade set in a heavier back, just the thought of it makes me shiver. Tim

Rivkin 7th July 2005 08:47 PM

Afaik 950 gr. is very consistent with Oakeshott's estimate for an average longsword.

RSWORD 7th July 2005 09:23 PM

Rivkin

So how did I help you come into this piece other than not bidding high enough on it? :D In my opinion, a nice old example of this type of sword. They are not terribly common and I think the blade is an older blade. Whether or not the marking is original or not is hard to know. The mark was copied everywhere so the blade really could be from anywhere. I think there was a preference for thin blades in this region. I once had a Omani Saif that had an almost paper thin straight blade but it was as sharp as the dickens. Usually when these things turn up, the blades show signs of much use so the thinness may also be attributed to a long service life. In my humble opinion, this one has a 17th-18th century blade in 19th century mounts. Add some sharkskin or leather to the handle and I think you have a good honest example. Congratulations!

M.carter 7th July 2005 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSWORD
Rivkin

I once had a Omani Saif

Omani Saif?? Whats that?? What does that look like?

RSWORD 8th July 2005 01:05 AM

A bit loose on my terminology but what I am referring to as an Omani saif are those Nimcha like swords with the "pas d'ane" circular guard at the base of the hilt. These have been referred to as Arab and also as coming from Zanzibar. Given the Omani connection to Zanzibar and to North Africa, I see the strong influence of the Katarra blade in the examples where you have a long double edged blade mounted up Nimcha/Zanzibar style. I have seen numerous examples in books, in my collection, in other collections with that hilt configuration and long thin double edge blade.

Rivkin 8th July 2005 02:28 AM

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions !

I have a small problem with wrapping it into some sort of sharkskin - it seems to me that there was nevet any kind of leather wrap on this guy (don't know if its true), but that it actually always had such a horn hilt (btw any ideas what kind of horn is it ? Good color, nice texture to the surface, and provides really solid grip).

Just finished cleaning it. Seems that silverwork on the hilt is a very primitive engraving with a floral design, not a fish. Running wolf is also seems to be an engraving, you can see individual dots, but nicely done one.

The pitting is extremely severe at the end.

I'm sorry - don't know if I repeat myself over and over - the blade is indeed beefier than my hiro-zukuri wakizashi and my shin-gunto sabre (if it tells you something).

I really appreciate the responce, and, RSWORD, I'm very surprised you don't know all the circumstances of the purchase.

M.carter 8th July 2005 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSWORD
A bit loose on my terminology but what I am referring to as an Omani saif are those Nimcha like swords with the "pas d'ane" circular guard at the base of the hilt. These have been referred to as Arab and also as coming from Zanzibar. Given the Omani connection to Zanzibar and to North Africa, I see the strong influence of the Katarra blade in the examples where you have a long double edged blade mounted up Nimcha/Zanzibar style. I have seen numerous examples in books, in my collection, in other collections with that hilt configuration and long thin double edge blade.

oh ok, I think I saw a pic of that once, very flexy I must say. The blade also looks very good on that kind of hilt.

RSWORD 8th July 2005 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivkin
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions !

I have a small problem with wrapping it into some sort of sharkskin - it seems to me that there was nevet any kind of leather wrap on this guy (don't know if its true), but that it actually always had such a horn hilt (btw any ideas what kind of horn is it ? Good color, nice texture to the surface, and provides really solid grip).

Just finished cleaning it. Seems that silverwork on the hilt is a very primitive engraving with a floral design, not a fish. Running wolf is also seems to be an engraving, you can see individual dots, but nicely done one.

The pitting is extremely severe at the end.

I'm sorry - don't know if I repeat myself over and over - the blade is indeed beefier than my hiro-zukuri wakizashi and my shin-gunto sabre (if it tells you something).

I really appreciate the responce, and, RSWORD, I'm very surprised you don't know all the circumstances of the purchase.

Rivkin

I know absolutely none of the circumstances of the purchase. Please fill me in. I am quite curious now.