Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Panabas (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17045)

kino 3rd April 2013 01:49 AM

Panabas

2 Attachment(s)
A recent find.
Can you see what's odd about this Panabas.
The answer is in the 2nd posting to this thread.

kino 3rd April 2013 01:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It's huge and heavy!!!

Battara 3rd April 2013 03:18 AM

W :eek: W!

That's gargantuan! I like the wood work. Any lamination in the blade?

kino 3rd April 2013 01:56 PM

I ran some hot water over it to see if there was a pattern I didn't see evidence of laminations. I'll have to clean it further and etch it with a stronger solution.

Robert 3rd April 2013 03:32 PM

That is one monster of a panabas. A new addition or something you just brought out to tease the rest of us with.:D I want one !!!

Best,
Robert

Spunjer 3rd April 2013 03:47 PM

Al, that's what's called a Moke panabas, lol... kidding brah.
nice one! how thick is the ricasso on this baby? i always like those carved handle. wasn't it not too long ago a somewhat similar carved handle went for four figures on ebay?

Robert 3rd April 2013 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spunjer, Is this the one you are referring to? I wish that I could say that it was mine, but I cannot.

Best,
Robert

Spunjer 3rd April 2013 07:05 PM

thanks robert! yup, that one... those carving style somewhat reminds me of barber poles, neat looking. i kinda wonder if it is indicative of a particular region...

CharlesS 3rd April 2013 08:02 PM

....speaking of barber poles.... :p (from someone who shaves his head!)

That's one nice panabas and a whopper. Congrats on the get!

Battara 3rd April 2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
thanks robert! yup, that one... those carving style somewhat reminds me of barber poles, neat looking. i kinda wonder if it is indicative of a particular region...

Yeah I wish there was more information on these regionally. I'm like you wondering about what the regional differences are.........

kino 4th April 2013 01:24 AM

Robert - A new addition, got it on Easter Sunday. I went to a Flea Market to look at an Indian sword and saw this in a glass case.

Spunjer - A Moke would have no problems handling it but to a Moro... well the seller told me it's attributed to a Moro named Gul-ayat :D It's a hair over 1/2 thick at the ricasso.

Charles - Thanks, I was really surprised when I saw it. I didn't want to show my excitement to the seller and kept talking to him about the Indian sword.

Robert 4th April 2013 01:43 AM

Hello Kino, Could you possibly post a photo of the wire wrapping and bands on the hilt?
Best,
Robert

Sajen 4th April 2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino
Robert - A new addition, got it on Easter Sunday. I went to a Flea Market to look at an Indian sword and saw this in a glass case.

WOW, I wish we have flee markets like this in Germany where you can find monster beauties like this! :D ;) I am with Robert, I want one!!!

kino 5th April 2013 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Robert, Here is a photo of the wire wrap. It's looks like bailing wire to me. Wish it were silver.

Sajen, The grass is not always greener on the other side. Although I would like to hit Flea Markets (car boot sales in the UK?), in the EU.

Why is the size overstated? Was it to signify ones rank?

Battara 5th April 2013 04:00 AM

One thing is that significantly smaller ones were used in combat, according to Cato.

The larger ones were used for beheading, yes, but think about the warning it would give - standing next to the datu in court would give the impression that he meant business so DON'T MESS WITH HIM! I would surmise that the bigger the piece, the bigger the message (as well as the size and skill to wield such a monster).

BTW - the wrap looks new to me.

Robert 5th April 2013 05:04 AM

I think Jose has nailed it on this one. It would be kind of like looking down the barrels of a 12 gauge shotgun, it is something that would definitely get and keep your attention.:eek:

Best,
Robert

kino 5th April 2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
BTW - the wrap looks new to me.

Neither new judging by the nails used to secure the ends of the wire nor very old. Could be original to Panabas, with the heft of the blade, I don't know if rattan could be relied on to keep blade and hilt together during use so a wire wrap or steel bands would have been used. Then again the falling weight alone could take a limb off in 3 strokes.

CharlesS 5th April 2013 03:18 PM

I wonder if this massive old blade may have been remounted at some point in its life. Some of the decorative carving seems a little fresh, especially when compared to the other example. The tang is sticking out quite a bit as well. It would seem with such a massive heavy blade you would want every inch of the tang braced in some way, especially if it were going to be done with decorative wire and bands.

I agree with Battara...this is a "look at how big mine is" panabas, designed to impress more than employ. It certainly is no jungle cleaver, at least not dressed out as it is.

Regardless, magnificent, eye-catching example!

kino 6th April 2013 12:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I wonder if this massive old blade may have been remounted at some point in its life. Some of the decorative carving seems a little fresh, especially when compared to the other example. The tang is sticking out quite a bit as well. It would seem with such a massive heavy blade you would want every inch of the tang braced in some way

I also question the remounting as well but, there are some traces of old lime in the okir.
I think this type/shape of Panabas blades with the protrusions nearest the tang is supposed to be set this way with the tang sticking out a bit. See the other 3 examples of Panabas' with the similar blade shape.

The size is imposing, I wonder how tall the fellow was that wielded this piece.
I guessing this was probably made in the first third of the 20th century. Thoughts?

Battara 6th April 2013 04:02 AM

Perhaps when it comes to the socket, this is a style for this type of panabas..... :shrug:

Gavin Nugent 6th April 2013 08:27 AM

Congrats :)

It is well known that there were giants of men amongst the Moro warriors....status, perhaps so, much in the same way the size of the Pershing Kampy appears to be :shrug:

Gavin

carlos 6th April 2013 08:51 AM

:eek: :eek: Very beatiful panabas !! and very big !! maybe too much to a warrior, I think maybe made to status signal.
best regards
carlos

CharlesS 7th April 2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino
I also question the remounting as well but, there are some traces of old lime in the okir.
I think this type/shape of Panabas blades with the protrusions nearest the tang is supposed to be set this way with the tang sticking out a bit. See the other 3 examples of Panabas' with the similar blade shape.

The size is imposing, I wonder how tall the fellow was that wielded this piece.
I guessing this was probably made in the first third of the 20th century. Thoughts?

That nice blown up pic of the pommel clearly shows the lime is old and that there is some nice patination on the carved wood.

I had seen some of the carved swirls nearer the hilt and thought thay looked fresh, but clearly I was wrong.