Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   German Pistols for I.D. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14373)

rickystl 12th October 2011 09:01 PM

German Pistols for I.D.

Hello all. I believe these pistols are Prussian Pattern 1850 Conversion Pistols. Would anyone with more European reference material concur? Thanks for any assistance. Rick.

rickystl 12th October 2011 09:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ooops. Forgot to Post photos.

fernando 12th October 2011 09:44 PM

Very nice pair of pistols, Rick.
Some French touch in this model? :o
Do they belong in your collection?

rickystl 13th October 2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Very nice pair of pistols, Rick.
Some French touch in this model? :o
Do they belong in your collection?

Hi Fernando! No, they are not in my collection - yet. The owner does wish to sell them. I believe my I.D. is correct. I was just looking for confirmation.
I seldom see these offered. Yes, they are in the best condition I've ever seen. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Rick.

Matchlock 13th October 2011 07:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Rick,

Your ID is correct indeed; the maker Crause in Herzberg signed a lot of these but built civilian guns as well. The overall condition looks nice and worth collecting. I can't see whether the rings are still present on the butt caps.

I attach a scan from Claude Blair: European and American Arms, one of the titles I reommended you.

Best,
Michael

fernando 13th October 2011 07:34 PM

Great Michl :cool:
... not: Great, Michl ;) .

Matchlock 13th October 2011 07:49 PM

Great Michl, i.e. Michl the Great would also be accepted! :eek:

rickystl 13th October 2011 08:16 PM

Hi Michael!! I'm waiting to hear about the Cavalry rings on the butt stocks. Meantime, the bores of both pistols appear to be in unfired -still in the white - condition!! Only very slight spots of surface rust and patina. Possibly only test fired originally?
One pistol is marked Herzberg Crause, the other is marked Suhl. The numbers on one is 1852, the other 1879. Yet both are in identical condition. Interesting.

Atlantia 13th October 2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickystl
Hello all. I believe these pistols are Prussian Pattern 1850 Conversion Pistols. Would anyone with more European reference material concur? Thanks for any assistance. Rick.

lovely pair, they are sometimes called 'Potsdam pistols' over here.

Matchlock 13th October 2011 11:34 PM

Right, Gene,

Over there! ;)

As these percussion models were built long after the classic Potsdam (or, it was spelt in the 18th c., 'Potzdam') manufactury makes of. ca. 1725-1785, this term is not usually in use 'over here'.

Best,
Michael

Atlantia 13th October 2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchlock
Right, Gene,

Over there! ;)

As these percussion models were built long after the classic Potsdam (or, it was spelt in the 18th c., 'Potzdam') manufactury makes of. ca. 1725-1785, this term is not usually in use 'over here'.

Best,
Michael

lol, thanks Michael.
I should have said they are sometimes generically refered to as.....

You had me wondering if I was just tripping for a moment, but I googled 'potsdam pistol' and lots of pictures of the 1850 Prussian cavalry were in there as well as the 18thc ones....
Phew! :o

I haven't seen a real one in the flesh in a long time but reproduction ones seem to show up every now and again.

Best
Gene