Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Zulu Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26977)

drac2k 17th May 2021 05:46 PM

Zulu Weapons

5 Attachment(s)
This week seems to be the week of acquiring African Weapons and I believe these 3 pieces that are Zulu. An axe, what I believe to be an old Zulu throwing spear with a broken haft, and a huge, wonderful Knobkerrie. It is the heaviest one that I own and well used, either from pounding fence posts or heads, others can judge.

thinreadline 26th May 2021 12:09 AM

Superb , I do agree , Zulu .

Helleri 27th May 2021 02:39 AM

They all definitely look South African. Given the Zulu are the largest ethnic group there chances are it's all Zulu as well. The Swazi is a little...Odd? Not as pronounced in it's shape as I'd expect. Very ong tang, subtle blade shape. Maybe intended to be used as a tool most of the time while still retaining weapon utility if needed?

Helleri 28th May 2021 04:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helleri (Post 262976)
They all definitely look South African. Given the Zulu are the largest ethnic group there chances are it's all Zulu as well. The Swazi is a little...Odd? Not as pronounced in it's shape as I'd expect. Very ong tang, subtle blade shape. Maybe intended to be used as a tool most of the time while still retaining weapon utility if needed?

[edit] Okay this axe was bothering me and I could swear I'd seen something very similar to it before in my reference material. So I've been digging and found something in one of my glossaries. The description says it's a Basuto axe (which is a Bantu ethnic group like the Zulu who live largely in Lesotho in South Africa).

drac2k 30th May 2021 03:46 PM

Thanks to all for the comments and I stand corrected & educated; it certainly looks like the Basuto axe that you have shown.

drac2k 2nd June 2021 09:26 PM

6 Attachment(s)
As I said before, I'm kind of on this African weapon streak. Here are 4 more clubs of which I believe that one is definitely Zulu; a nice example which I believe some idiot drilled a hole in the back to hang on a wall. I am thinking about getting a piece of hardwood dowel to fill the hole.
The other club with a face, I think it could be an African Go-go club. I went to the African weapon website and they had a similar example, however, theirs had an angry scowl, and mine has a frown. In my opinion, it has the balance and feel of a throwing club, but I couldn't find an example of Go-Go throwing clubs and I don't even want to tell you what I found when I first searched the web for "African Go-Go Clubs."
The other 2, I think that they are African, but I'm not sure.
Help

AndreasM 5th June 2021 05:38 PM

The axe is Shona and not Zulu.

drac2k 8th June 2021 04:49 PM

Thanks; still could use some help on the clubs.