Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   100th published album (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4110)

VVV 10th February 2007 01:04 AM

100th published album

6 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Just posted the 100th album on my Keris, Kris and Indonesian small blades catalogue project.

http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...bum.php&page=1

No 100 is this "archaic" kris with twisted core.

Michael

Bill M 10th February 2007 01:12 AM

A fabulous kris for your 100th example of a superb collection!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Michael,

I am very pleased to see a collector of your stature focussing on these magnificent swords.

I am coordinating a group of collectors compiling information and pieces for a book about Moro swords and weapons that I may edit, photograph and publish.

One of our several focus points is the blade of the sword. Kinds of laminations, temper lines, talismanic designs and form of blade.

We would also want to bring in the history, art, culture, anthropology, political structure, languages and religion(s) -- as I do not think that a study of the weapons would be appropriate without these background factors.

This would be a collaborative effort with several established collectors who have expressed an interest in such a project from a standpoint of writing articles and contributing examples.

Though we are still very much in a preliminary stage, I would welcome your input. I greatly respect your knowledge and research abilities both to find and compile information as well as collecting incredible examples of these weapons.

I will explain more in private email.

Any other collectors are also welcome! PM me.

Warmest regards,
Bill Marsh

PBishop 10th February 2007 03:44 AM

Now THAT is fine and beautiful thing. Well done.

katana 10th February 2007 12:55 PM

FANTASTIC example :cool: .....and your hundreth :eek:

VVV 10th February 2007 01:14 PM

Thanks all,

I just found another Keris here in Stockholm that I couldn't resist so now itīs 101.

Michael

Dajak 10th February 2007 07:28 PM

Hi Michael an very nice one that one from Stockholm and this one also .

Are you not working anymore that you have so much time to search ?? :D :D :D :D :D

Ben

Battara 10th February 2007 07:43 PM

Beautiful piece - the pamor is superb! (I think I have a similar pamor on one of my older kris. :D ).

VVV 10th February 2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dajak
Are you not working anymore that you have so much time to search ?? :D :D :D :D :D

Ben

Hi Ben,

Actually the blades look me up by themeselves nowadays.
The Stockholm Kris phoned me up yesterday and asked if it could join the rest of the group. :D

Battara, please share some pictures of it with the rest of us.

Michael

kai 10th February 2007 10:38 PM

Congrats Michael,

That's an awesome kris! Gorgeous blade and also the pommel seems to be really neat...

It's the first one with worn through sogokan that I encountered. Speaks for its age and quality carvings, I guess. The blade tip is very interesting: Within the inlay final there is a kinda-rhomboidal depression right in front of where the twist core pattern stops - I wonder wether something (swaasa/silver plaque?) may have been attached here originally (it doesn't look like a delamination of the twist core which should be thicker anyway). I assume that this looks alike on both sides, doesn't it?

BTW, what's the link for #101? Please pass my phone number on to the groupies if you happen to get too many calls... ;) :D

Regards,
Kai

VVV 11th February 2007 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Kai,

I had a close look at the tip of the panel but I don't see any trace of other material. And it doesn't look the same at the reverse side?
But in case I misunderstood you I have attached two pictures of each side.

Kind regards,

Michael

LabanTayo 12th February 2007 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
A fabulous kris for your 100th example of a superb collection!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Michael,

I am very pleased to see a collector of your stature focussing on these magnificent swords.

I am coordinating a group of collectors compiling information and pieces for a book about Moro swords and weapons that I may edit, photograph and publish.

One of our several focus points is the blade of the sword. Kinds of laminations, temper lines, talismanic designs and form of blade.

We would also want to bring in the history, art, culture, anthropology, political structure, languages and religion(s) -- as I do not think that a study of the weapons would be appropriate without these background factors.

This would be a collaborative effort with several established collectors who have expressed an interest in such a project from a standpoint of writing articles and contributing examples.

Though we are still very much in a preliminary stage, I would welcome your input. I greatly respect your knowledge and research abilities both to find and compile information as well as collecting incredible examples of these weapons.

I will explain more in private email.

Any other collectors are also welcome! PM me.

Warmest regards,
Bill Marsh

naga basuraki,

from your vast experience and knowledge, what can you tell me about this kris?
age, provenence, any other special features.

BSMStar 12th February 2007 08:09 PM

Geezzze

Where are you guys getting these magnificent Kris??????

After seeing these, my wife thought I was going through the change (what hot flashes)! :rolleyes:

LabanTayo... that looks like an extremely old Kris...
maybe someday I will be lucky :shrug:

Bill M 12th February 2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabanTayo
naga basuraki,

from your vast experience and knowledge, what can you tell me about this kris?
age, provenence, any other special features.

Hi Shelly,

Suggest that you make a new post. We need to keep this thread focussed on VVV beautiful kris.

I will be happy to give you my limited opinion. You may know that I have been collecting this kind of kris less than a year.

You are very kind in your compliments, and coming from a collector of your stature, this is high praise, but I have neither vast experience, nor knowledge of kris.

My vast experience and knowledge, such as it is, is in investment real estate.

I can certainly give you better answers in this arena, but I do know a little about your piece. Suggest that you make a new post and lets continue this discussion there.

My very warmest regards,

Bill

LabanTayo 12th February 2007 08:57 PM

maybe the Moderators can start the thread for me.
i am very interested to read what you have to say about my kris.

thanks,

Bill M 12th February 2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

thanks,

Thank you again. I will wait and see if "the Moderators can start a thread" for you. :confused: :confused: :shrug:

But really think that we should keep this thread focussed on VVV. I am sure that you understand.

LabanTayo 12th February 2007 09:23 PM

Totally understand.
BTW, Nice kris Michael. :D

VVV 12th February 2007 10:24 PM

Thanks Shelley,

I like yours too. Seems to have at least one V... ;)

Michael

Andrew 12th February 2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

thanks,

If you really want to discuss your Kris, Shelley, feel free to start a new thread yourself. You don't need a mod's assistance to do so. :shrug:

kai 13th February 2007 12:00 AM

Hello Michael,

Quote:

I had a close look at the tip of the panel but I don't see any trace of other material.
No, any metal added would have been long gone.

Quote:

And it doesn't look the same at the reverse side?
Yes, there is also the same patch with missing twist core but it's too irregular to be a special feature, I guess. Seems that I was on the wrong track.

Still, I do wonder how this happened - a forging flaw at such a prominent place seems weird but what is it supposed to be?

Regards,
Kai

LabanTayo 13th February 2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew
If you really want to discuss your Kris, Shelley, feel free to start a new thread yourself. You don't need a mod's assistance to do so. :shrug:

andrew,
no need to start a new thread. bill has graciously answered my question via email.

Ferguson 14th February 2007 12:13 AM

Incredibly beautiful.
Steve

Lew 14th February 2007 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferguson
Incredibly beautiful.
Steve

It's an OK kris ;) :D(Just kidding) Interesting I have only seen the twisted core on Chinese dao swords and some Moro kris do you think there is a connection between the two? Could this kris have been made my a Chinese smith or a Moro smith that might have picked up the technique from China?

Congrats,

Lew

Battara 16th February 2007 08:15 PM

VVV -
when I better etch the blade I may then post my similar kris.

Louis -
Other tribes have made twist core. Twist core seems to be on older Moro pieces than later ones. I have a Bagobo sword that has 2 rows of twist core "turkish ribbon" on it.

Rick 16th February 2007 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a little 'twist' ;)

VVV 17th February 2007 04:16 PM

Nice Rick!

It would be great to also see other examples as a reference?

Michael

Rick 17th February 2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVV
Nice Rick!

It would be great to also see other examples as a reference?

Michael

I agree Michael . :)

What's interesting about this one is that there are 4 twist bars incorporated; they join where the 'arrow point' is found on swords such as these and yet there is no sculpting or heavy etching done to bring these features out .... :confused:

A kind of 'stealth' construction with no showiness . ;)