Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   There Can Be Only One ......... Gang ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2977)

Rick 15th August 2006 03:12 PM

There Can Be Only One ......... Gang ?

More trouble for sword owners across the pond ...
http://tinyurl.com/j4mj3

VANDOO 15th August 2006 03:56 PM

IT ALL SOUNDS A BIT STAGED TO ME THAT MANY PEOPLE ARMED WITH SERIOUS SWORDS CONVIENTLY ON CAMERA WITH HOODS TO CONCEAL THEIR IDENITYS AND NO ONE WAS KILLED AND NO MENTION OF INJURY OR BLOOD FOUND AT THE SITE BY POLICE WHO CONVIENTLY ARRIVE IN TIME TO ONLY GET THE FILM BUT NO PERPS OR WEAPONS.

PERHAPS IT WAS STAGED BY THE POLICE OR SOME GROUP WHO WANTS TO PUSH FOR THE ELIMINATION OF ALL EDGED AND POINTY THINGS FROM SCOTLAND. I SUSPECT IF IT IS SUCESSFUL IN GETTING THE WANTED LAWS PASSED WE MAY SEE MORE OF THE SAME KIND OF INCIDENCES IN OTHER AREAS.
ITS AMAZING HOW PEOPLE CAN FOCUS ON SUCH SMALL PROBLEMS AS GUN CONTROL AND EDGED WEAPONS WHEN THERE IS SO MUCH DANGER IN THE WORLD TODAY AND ENTIRE COUNTRYS ARE LIKELY TO BE DESTROYED AND WORLD CHAOS MAY BE JUST AROUND THE CORNER.

spiral 15th August 2006 05:15 PM

Well when the baby gangsters run out of swords the sales of hammers & screwdrivers should rocket. :rolleyes:

Spiral

BSMStar 15th August 2006 05:35 PM

It sounds a bit like the "A" Team TV show to me... standing toe to toe, machine gun to machine gun... hundreds of rounds flying everywhere... and no one gets hit. No one!

The incident sounds a bit strange if unbelievable....

If this is the reason to strike fear in the people of Scotland... gangs roaming the street with swords and giant machetes, unable to harm anyone.... then lets band them all!???

nechesh 15th August 2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSMStar
If this is the reason to strike fear in the people of Scotland... gangs roaming the street with swords and giant machetes, unable to harm anyone.... then lets band them all!???

Now, if we can just convince Sean Connery to play a Spaniard..... :D

I agree, there is something a bit stagey about this story. Maybe someone was trying to make a low budget movie.... :)

Tim Simmons 15th August 2006 06:05 PM

I heard briefly on the news yesterday in England about a possible ban of sword sales in Scotland. At first I did think oh sh?t it could really happen. Then sense and logic came to me. A ban could happen, for the type of repro/hunting knives, new nasty swords and things that the skumbags and toerags who cause trouble seem to like. I then thought about the feudal basis of land ownership particular to Scotland, all those big gaffs with weapon displays, clan chiefs and estate owners will still want antique edged weapons to buy and sell. Not to mention the proud Scots regiments. What we have to look out for is, how the law is worded and to insure that the law applies to all sectors of society.

Lew 15th August 2006 06:45 PM

Gentleman

This is more media induced bull to scare the public into thinking that you are living in a Clockwork Orange type of society. You need to stop watching so much TV. If they took away their swords they would use cricket bats to whack each other with. :eek:

Lew

mross 15th August 2006 07:40 PM

Scotland blade ban;

http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=1180732006

UK blade ban;

http://www.jamesbrokenshire.com/inde...=133&Itemid=31

And a letter to a member of another sword list who's name I removed because I can't seem to post there anymore to ask permission to use it(No, I was not banned but our server has since changed id's so the list server cannot validate me.)

"
Thank you for your email and for contacting me about my proposed bill to outlaw the sale, resale, manufacture and importation of sharpened samurai swords. I recognise that this is a sensitive and complex issue and that many people possess samurai swords lawfully and without any harm to anyone. The original Japanese Katana is the sword most commonly referred to as a samurai sword and these traditional items forged with the highly specialized tamagahane steel are highly valuable and important cultural and historic items some of which, as you rightly point out, are considered as works of fine art. In drafting the bill, I can assure you that I have this at the forefront of my mind and the need to ensure that legitimate purchases for such purposes are addressed either by general exemption or through licence.

I am convinced that supply is an important factor as evidenced by the experiences of Devon & Cornwall Police when they intorduced a voluntary ban. I believe that it is necessary to assert a general ban whilst providing appropriate protections. I have not taken this step lightly, but I am persuaded that the public protection issue is sufficient to warrant such a measure. The problem is that these items, for whatever reason, have become the weapon of choice amongst criminal gangs and the consequences of these items getting into the hands of violent criminals can unfortunately be seen up and down the country.

As you may be aware, the Government have been considering instituting a ban on samurai swords themselves. The Violent Crime Reduction Bill does reserve an order making power to provide for a ban and to incorporate exemptions through secondary legislation. Hazel Blears MP, the then Police Minister, made this clear when the point was debated in committee earlier this year. However, my preference is to consider and debate the issue as a matter of primary legislation, as secondary legislation is only subject to very limited scrutiny and debate and no amendments can be made to the draft order once it is tabled. We will find out in October what approach the Home Office plans to take.

Thank you for contacting me about this important issue. I will certainly reflect further on the points which you have made. This is not a straight-forward matter, but I remain of the view that further protection through law is appropriate.

Yours sincerely,

James Brokenshire MP

==========================================

James Brokenshire MP

Member of Parliament for Hornchurch

Serving the communities of Hornchurch, Elm Park, Rainham and Wennington

House of Commons, Westminster, London SW1A 0AA

Tel: 020 7219 8400

email: brokenshirej@parliament.uk
"

Tim Simmons 15th August 2006 08:02 PM

Nice one, he does look bit of a ####pocket, can I say that well I have :o I have to agree with him about the attraction of these repro swords to unsavoury charactors but I wonder wether this is a step too far. :confused:

My main concerns are equal treatment within the law. This is probably the best defence against this sort of chap.

katana 15th August 2006 08:11 PM

Guys....I think everything that I could add to this thread.......has already been said.
When will the media learn that they should report news accurately ... not 'hype' it up with half truths and fiction..... do 'they' (the media) play up to the fears of our society..... or help create them :mad:

P.S, I have taken apart a so called replica Samurai sword and I personally would not want to have someone swinging one around ..anywhere near me.
Why?....I hear you ask......are the blades that deadly??....no..obviously they can cause injury. My main concern is the quality of the tang and the poor welding to the 'blade'. The tang is a mild steel rod poorly welded to a stainless steel (poor quality) blade, very little effort is required to fracture the 'weld', a couple of minor strikes with the replica is enough , then as you swing it around ...the blade can 'part company' with the 'hilt' and fly off anywhere........ :eek:

VANDOO 15th August 2006 10:17 PM

THE MEDIA IS SO CUTE THEY HAVE COINED A NEW TERM "KNIFE CULTURE" WHICH WILL MEAN ANYONE WITH A KNIFE BE IT SWISS ARMY, PEN KNIFE,KITCHEN KNIFE OR ANY BLADED ITEM WILL BECOME A MEMBER OF THE DREADED KNIFE CULTURE GANGS AND THEREFORE A CRIMINAL. THEY ARE ALSO PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THEY HAVE ALLOWED AMNESTY (EVEN THOUGH THE LAWS HAVE NOT BEEN PASSED YET) AND HAVE DESTROYED THOUSANDS OF KNIVES AND SWORDS THAT WERE VOLENTARILY TURNED IN BY LAW ABIDING CITIZENS WHO WERE NO DANGER TO ANYONE. HOGWASH!!!! :mad:

I AM SURE MORE PEOPLE ARE KILLED BY FISTS AND FALLS EVERY YEAR NOT TO MENTION THE MANY KILLED BY DRIVERS DRUNK OR OTHERWISE. THIS IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF A VERY FEW ELETE IDIOTS TRYING TO FORCE THEIR WILL ON THE MAJORITY THRU LIES AND UN NEEDED LAWS AND ACTING LIKE THEY ARE ONLY DOING IT FOR OUR OWN GOOD. HEAVEN HELP US IF THEY EVER GET THE POWER TO LET US ONLY DO THE THINGS THEY PERMIT. :eek: