Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Keris Lampung Luk 9 ganja iras (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15386)

henri 10th April 2012 08:22 AM

Keris Lampung Luk 9 ganja iras

7 Attachment(s)
Hello dear members ,

Just got this keris probably from Lampung . Not a masterpiece and not cleaned yet but would like to get your advices regarding the ganja ... missing before starting the cleaning . I already handled a couple of times similar keris from Lampung and bizarrely the ganja was also missing . So , wondering why or if this particular kind of blade could come without ???

I would also appreciate your inputs regarding a replacement ganja .What recommendations I will have to follow to do so .

Henri

GIO 10th April 2012 01:41 PM

Sorry, Henry, not ganja iras but "ganja lost".
No idea on how to replace it. Maybe you could find a ganja without pamor (sometimes it happens) and try to adapt it ...
BTW, all is really very very nice

henri 10th April 2012 08:42 PM

Thank you for the reply . So ... let s go for the " ganja lost " and start the cleaning ! I have some old blades and I will try to source a ganja to fit as close as possible to the original design .

asomotif 10th April 2012 10:34 PM

Very nice keris !

How is the fit in the scabbard ? (picture maybe)

Best regards,
Willem

David 10th April 2012 10:51 PM

Yes, certainly not iras. I am not sure you will be all that successful trying to adapt another gonjo. Have you considered having one made. You are not that far from Indonesia. :shrug:

henri 11th April 2012 12:01 AM

Willem , I have started to clean the blade into pineapple juice for few days . I will take some photos just after but what is surprising is that the blade fit perfectly flush to the wrangka ...

henri 11th April 2012 12:05 AM

David , it s probably the best way to fit a new and appropriate ganja but I have never considered this option and really don t know how to proceed !
Do I have to send the blade or a moulding should be enough ( Customs are a pain here ) ? Do you have any contacts I could refer ?

Henri

Hartadi 11th April 2012 03:36 AM

Henri,

If you consider to make new ganja to adapt, there is some option to do.

1. Send only the blade to Madura, i know a blade smith who can work well for recomplete the blade, his named Harianto +6281913666009

2. If the customs are pain, try to make some drawing for exact measure of your blade on each parts according to same units of the original blade, so send harianto only your drawing then ask him to made new one gonjo to fit.

Good luck,
Hartadi

Rick 11th April 2012 04:11 AM

Now here is an out of the box idea ; go to the art store and buy some Fimo polymer clay .
Use said clay to form an appropriate gonjo on the keris blade and bake it until hard in the oven; 275 f or so for 10 minutes .
This won't damage the blade .

If you can remove the hardened Fimo gonjo from your keris then you would have a 3D model to send to Madura with no customs problems ... a little imagination, etc .. :)

asomotif 11th April 2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri
Willem , I have started to clean the blade into pineapple juice for few days . I will take some photos just after but what is surprising is that the blade fit perfectly flush to the wrangka ...

Hello Henri,

Looking forward to the pictures of the cleaned blade, as wel as pictures of the fit into the scabbard.

Will the blade still fit if you have a new gonjo made and added to the blade ?

Best regards,
Willem

henri 11th April 2012 06:35 AM

Thank you Hartadi for the contact . I will probably follow Rick's advice and create a 3D in resin .
I really do appreciate all your comments guys and once again this forum is really THE source for beginners like me .

Henri

henri 11th April 2012 06:40 AM

Willem , I will take a photo tonight but as I already said when the new ganja will be fitted .... it will be completely out of the wrangka !

GIO 11th April 2012 01:46 PM

Henry, I understand that it will not be easy to prepare a model for the ganja, but if you take your time, it will not be impossible.
Remember to check the overall elegance of the blade with your ganja and find inspiration from the various images of blades in books and internet sites.
The smith (empu) could find inspiration from the pamor of the blade, if you send him some photos.
As to the scabbard, you can easily adapt the mouth to the new ganja using files or a small drill. You only need patience and frequent checks. I made this several times, without experience or particular skill.
Good chance, and remember to post pics while your work proceeds. Many experienced forum members will no doubt advice you for the best result.
Best regards

Jean 11th April 2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri
Hello dear members ,

Just got this keris probably from Lampung . Not a masterpiece and not cleaned yet but would like to get your advices regarding the ganja ... missing before starting the cleaning . I already handled a couple of times similar keris from Lampung and bizarrely the ganja was also missing . So , wondering why or if this particular kind of blade could come without ???

I would also appreciate your inputs regarding a replacement ganja .What recommendations I will have to follow to do so .

Henri

Henri,
A simple way to know if a ganja is missing or iras: the bottom of the pejetan should not extend to the base of the blade like for your blade, so the ganja of your blade is missing. A ganja iras may not be clearly marked but is located below the pejetan. Of course the shape of the base of the blade (flared on the back side) is another indicator but not always obvious.
About making a new ganja but without sending the blade to a maker, it looks quite risky to me, not only for matching the shape of the blade but also because of the the "new" look of the ganja versus the old blade, and the colour matching. Personally I would keep the blade as it is if I could not ship it to a specialized craftsman. :)
Regards

henri 12th April 2012 12:28 AM

Hi Willem

2 pics as promised . A new ganja will let it out of the sheath .

The blade is badly rusted and will need probably more than 1 week " pineapple bath " .

henri 12th April 2012 12:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics

henri 12th April 2012 12:44 AM

Thank you Gio an Jean . I will post some photos when this restoration will be completed .

Sajen 12th April 2012 01:14 AM

From what I can see by your new pictures I think that blade and scabbard don't belong original together. :( To restore this keris to a good looking one will need a lot of effort. But it will be possible. I am curious how it will look when all is done. Good luck! :) ;)

Regards,

Detlef

GIO 14th April 2012 11:56 PM

Henry,
your pics of the blade inside the scabbard clearly show that there is something missing at the mouth: a ganja.
As to the lack of space for a ganja there are two possible reasons
either there is something inside that prevents the blade from being entirely inserted (are you sure the blade does not touch the bottom?)
or the scabbard does not belong to the blade.
In my opinion it is really a pity not to restore this nice keris with a new ganja and adapting the scabbard.
Good luck
Gio

Jean 15th April 2012 09:50 AM

Like Detlef I believe that the blade and scabbard are not originally matching, as it is very often the case. Before thinking of making a new ganja or finding a replacement one, I would wonder if this blade is from South Sumatra or not, personally I don't know.
Regards

Sajen 15th April 2012 10:46 AM

I also don't know for sure but the big pesi is a good sign that it is a South Sumatra blade.

Regards,

Detlef