Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   old style barung! Borneo? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12950)

kino 3rd January 2011 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice
I like the condition of the horn punto. Is there somewhere a crack in it?

Maurice

Forutunately the horn punto has no crack. i've taken some preventative measures by applying Vitamin E to it.
Just for fun, here is a photo of another sword that was attributed to Borneo from awhile back. What a size difference.

Battara 4th January 2011 03:49 AM

Kino that little barong you have is the first of it's type that I have seen that has a silver ferrule (below the horn punto). Vitamin E? - never thought of that.

Also I think that Ibeam and Cecil Quirino would call the larger barong in the picture a sipput barong. My understanding is that these are not as wide and perhaps longer than the average barong.

Maurice 4th January 2011 06:55 AM

Nice contrast! :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino
Forutunately the horn punto has no crack. i've taken some preventative measures by applying Vitamin E to it.
Just for fun, here is a photo of another sword that was attributed to Borneo from awhile back. What a size difference.

Incredible there is no crack in the horn part! It must have been preserved very well in the old days...
I will look later if I can find images of barungs like these with a silver ferrule like yours.
Funny contrast those two next to eachother. But I like the smaller "tubby" one more, but that is just my taste...

Maurice 5th January 2011 03:36 PM

Leiden Database

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Kino that little barong you have is the first of it's type that I have seen that has a silver ferrule (below the horn punto).

I have found the one, I was sure I had seen somewhere, with a silver ferrule below the horn punto, after a quick search.
This one is from the museum Leiden database.

Maurice

Battara 5th January 2011 06:30 PM

Thanks Maurice - great example.

asomotif 5th January 2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

taken some preventative measures by applying Vitamin E to it
:confused: :shrug:

Is this serious ? what does vitamin E do to a dead piece of horn ?

kino 6th January 2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Also I think that Ibeam and Cecil Quirino would call the larger barong in the picture a sipput barong. My understanding is that these are not as wide and perhaps longer than the average barong.

Battara, I'm not sure if the longer one is considered a Barung. The hilt is not your typical Barung hilt. Any thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif
Is this serious ? what does vitamin E do to a dead piece of horn ?

Relax dude.... It what was available at the moment, my wife was moisturizing her nails and cuticles with Vit.E . Wow ...just think, I almost used Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails :eek:

asomotif 6th January 2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

It what was available at the moment, my wife was moisturizing her nails and cuticles with Vit.E .
Pfewwww. you got me scared there :D

Battara 7th January 2011 01:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Kino,

Well it is possible it might not be a barong. At the same time, sipput barong blades are similar to your piece in question.

Here are some examples of 2 sipput barong (the second one I sold to Ibeam years ago):

CharlesS 15th December 2013 03:02 PM

I am removing my pics from this thread to start a new thread regarding what I believe to be a Yakan barong.

kai 16th December 2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

I am removing my pics from this thread to start a new thread regarding what I believe to be a Yakan barong.
Hello Charles,

I don't think it is a good idea to remove pics from a thread since this makes tracing the original discussion difficult or even impossible. If there is any new information later on, just add it to the thread possibly with a link or two. Just my 2 cents though...

Regards,
Kai