Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Some late Gothic daggers (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7513)

Matchlock 12th November 2008 02:52 PM

Some late Gothic daggers

12 Attachment(s)
... from Peter Finer's site. Fine, noch cheap.

Michael

Matchlock 12th November 2008 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The last image of the Swiss dagger.

Matchlock 12th November 2008 03:11 PM

12 Attachment(s)
More.

Matchlock 12th November 2008 03:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The rest.

celtan 12th November 2008 05:41 PM

Mine are prettier...

:p

Matchlock 13th November 2008 09:08 PM

You sure are a lucky guy, celtan! (and a rich one, too).

Michael ;)

celtan 14th November 2008 03:44 PM

Jut kiddin', and not really. I'm a working guy just like all of us, with a love for objets d'art disguised as weapons.

And it's all a matter of taste, some may choose dinners at IHOP over Morton's, and with arguably good reasons.

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...rodaggerB1.jpg

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...mainaigurr.jpg

BTW: Very nice posts, Michael. Keep up the good work!

Best regards

Manuel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchlock
You sure are a lucky guy, celtan! (and a rich one, too).

Michael ;)

Gonzalo G 14th November 2008 08:11 PM

Are they yourīs Manolo? They are very beautiful pieces. Itīs a pity the first photo is not completely clear. Can you give some information about the measures, materials and weight of this pieces? Thank you very much for your attention.
Regards

Gonzalo

celtan 14th November 2008 10:12 PM

Muchas Gracias Gonzalo,

I must commend your excellent taste, they are indeed muy bonitas.

OTOH, they are very dangerous, I hope nobody paid the ultimate price after meeting these femmes fatales. Their blades are most wicked.

Will do as you request. In the meanwhile, check these pics. Best if you use the slideshow feature.

http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r...pean%20Dagger/

http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r...multifullered/

David 15th November 2008 12:20 AM

Matchlock, i am confused by the Peter Finer tag on all these daggers. Are they currently for sale or up for auction?

Matchlock 15th November 2008 10:59 AM

David,

Peter Finer is an antique arms & armor dealer. Some of these daggers are contained in his current online catalog:

http://peterfiner.com

Michael

Jim McDougall 15th November 2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

David,

Peter Finer is an antique arms & armor dealer. Some of these daggers are contained in his current online catalog:

Michael

Interesting site, and Peter Finer is an outstanding dealer who has been around a very long time! What I cant see though is if this is a current auction, which is the concern.

Emanuel 15th November 2008 07:01 PM

Sorry for butting in...

5 Attachment(s)
Hello, gorgeous daggers!

This one made my eyes bulge. It recalls the decorative scheme we see on the handles of bou-saada (khodme) daggers from Algeria, and we've seen it on some Central Asian and Indo-Persian daggers as well. Almost the same decoration of a circle within a circle, repeated along multiple facets.

The pictures below the ballock dagger show: a dagger from Iran, a khodme, a bichaq, and another khodme (I got the top three pics from older threads, the bottom khodme was mine). The circles are in some cases painted/burned, into the handle surface. None of these examples are particularly old, but it's interesting to see the pattern maintained or revived.

Regards,
Emanuel

David 15th November 2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

David,

Michael

Yes, i am well aware that Peter Finer is a dealer. This is exactly my point. If these are current auctions then they should not be discussed on the forum. It's is the forum rules if you haven't read them. ;) :)

stekemest 16th November 2008 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Almost the same decoration of a circle within a circle, repeated along multiple facets.
That "cirle within a cirle"-decoration can be seen on many celtic artifacts and, somehow, reappears around the 13th/14th century to be in use throughout the late middle ages. I could well imagine that the eastern and western pieces with that decoration have the same origin in prehistorical times.

btw, here's one of my gothic daggers. A rather rare piece from the first half of the 15th century, German, blade maybe shortened. I will start working on a replica soon.

Gonzalo G 16th November 2008 03:05 AM

!Muchas gracias, Manuel! I got them all! Now, I have your daggers.
Un abrazo

Gonzalo

G. McCormack 16th November 2008 03:37 AM

AFAIK, Finer just groups his items by price on his website. I dont think there is a need to get up in arms, so to speak.

Interesting to see the leatherwork on some of those daggers.

He used to send out some catalogs for free, now they cost a bit but are quite lovely.
If I had tens of thousands of dollars, I could maybe vouch for the items and not just the catalogs :D

Always interesting to see similar decorations on pieces from different places, but of course, a circle within a circle...about as simple and logical as you can get from a human craftsman, yes?

stekemest 16th November 2008 11:14 AM

It is quite simple, yes, but every decoration is an expression of style. You can't imagine such a decoration in Chinese art for example. On the other hand, you won't find the simple stroke-decoration of neolithic ceramics on medieval or later pieces. A single unit of decoration can be as simple as possible, but it is only used if it fits the style of a certain time.
there speaks the art historian... :D

Ed 16th November 2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Yes, i am well aware that Peter Finer is a dealer. This is exactly my point. If these are current auctions then they should not be discussed on the forum. It's is the forum rules if you haven't read them. ;) :)

Hi.

Peter is a dealer, not an auction house. But I am curious, can you point me to the rules? Can't seem to find 'em.

Matchlock 16th November 2008 12:00 PM

David,

I can see your point. I did not mean to do wrong. Sorry. ;)

Michael

Matchlock 16th November 2008 10:26 PM

David,

I, like Ed, definitely wish to be pointed to exactly that rule saying that posts concerning dealers' offers are banned from our forum.

Michael

celtan 17th November 2008 03:09 AM

Upper is 11.3 oz in wt., almost 16.5" long, and with a 12" blade.

Lower is 6.1 oz. in wt., 13" long, and with a 8.3" blade

Sorry it took this long, but I had them stored in their display.

Best

M

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalo G
Are they yourīs Manolo? They are very beautiful pieces. Itīs a pity the first photo is not completely clear. Can you give some information about the measures, materials and weight of this pieces? Thank you very much for your attention.
Regards

Gonzalo

Gonzalo G 17th November 2008 03:38 AM

!Thank you, Manuel! I will writte this specifications on the files.
Un abrazo

Gonzalo

David 17th November 2008 03:55 AM

Quote:

David,

I, like Ed, definitely wish to be pointed to exactly that rule saying that posts concerning dealers' offers are banned from our forum.

Michael

Here is a link to the forum rules gentlemen. If you scroll down you will find rule #1 refers to forum policy regarding live auctions, though it would probably be a good idea to read them all. ;) The Finer site didn't make it clear to me whether his pieces are auctioned or sold for a set price. Frankly i don't think it is a very good idea to post any for sale items, auction or otherwise as it turns the forum into a marketplace instead of an academic forum, but i believe this forum rule really most applies to auctions.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4

Matchlock 17th November 2008 07:46 PM

Thank you, Sir,

I will obey to the rules.

Michael

Jim McDougall 18th November 2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

Thank you, Sir,

I will obey to the rules.

Michael

No problems Michael, and thank you for your most courteous response to the concerns expressed by David on whether this was an auction or not. It does seem unusual that these items catalogued are shown with a price range, which led to the assumption this was an auction .

It is clear that your posting of these items was intended for scholarly study purposes rather than commercial, so I would consider that within fair use perameters, and these included the cite for the photo owner.

David, thanks for your input, and for your reiteration on the forum rules. I agree it would be better to avoid posting items out of catalogs currently for sale, however it does seem suggested in the rules that fair use does permit this as long as properly cited, if I understand correctly. In the thread here, these were posted in the context presented for the purpose of scholarly discussion, not a sale thread, in which case they would have gone to the swap forum. I could not find, as Ed noted, anything specifically prohibiting catalog items, only live auction items.
I think that is where the confusion lies.

stekemest 18th November 2008 03:34 PM

I thought this thread was about gothic daggers and not about the forum rules. :( Please delete my posting then, unfortunately I cant do it myself.

celtan 18th November 2008 04:41 PM

Guys,

Nobody is wrong here. It behooves us to keep things in perspective. We are here to learn, and I haven't seen anyone pushing items for sale so far. I guess that as long as we don't discuss prices, value, or push to sell an item, it's quite clear that we are only benefitting knowledge-wise.

Stekemest's (BTW, Interesting nom-de-guerre: Master of the stake, master of the steak? : ) ) posting is quite valuable for this purpose, as are those of Matchlock, Gonzalo, Fernan , Jim et al...

Manolo

David 18th November 2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stekemest
I thought this thread was about gothic daggers and not about the forum rules. :( Please delete my posting then, unfortunately I cant do it myself.

Stekemest, i am not sure why you are so upset by the discussion of forum rules. The rules exist for a reason and i believe i raised a legitimate comcern in regards to the Finer site and live auctions. I also believe those concerns have been settled and folks are back to talking about the daggers. Why would you want your posts deleted and your contribution to this discussion erased?
:confused:

Matchlock 19th November 2008 06:18 PM

Hi, Jim,

Thank you for your good lines - they should really mend fences and be the final word on the subject.
Our forum ought to be inspired by a sense of community, after all.

With my very best wishes,
Michael