Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What would this be ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21953)

fernando 30th September 2016 12:57 PM

What would this be ?

4 Attachment(s)
My camera went for repairs; will have to do with the smart phone.
Visibly connected with the hunting universe, but what would this be ?
Not a hanging token; no signs of a hanging ring. Some kind of tool ?
Has anyone seen one like this before ?

fernando 1st October 2016 11:08 AM

Not a clue ?

Rick 1st October 2016 04:32 PM

More information?
What's with the 'blade' material ?

fernando 1st October 2016 05:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Materiall would not be any kind of horn; more like some hard wood ... maybe darkened ... and smoothened. Five faceted cross section, faces slightly concave, soft edges, but rather pointy, as if it were for perforating purposes ... this with a bit of imagination.

Rick 1st October 2016 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got me.... :confused: :confused: :shrug:

fernando 2nd October 2016 11:24 AM

But ... that is not five faced :confused: .

Rick 2nd October 2016 05:27 PM

I'm 'stumped'.... :)

Is this not an expression used in Portuguese, 'Nando?

fernando 2nd October 2016 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An idiomatic expression i was not familiar with; no strict equivalent in my lingo. Is it close from baffled ? :o. Then we could use 'desconcertado' (disconcerted).

Ian 3rd October 2016 05:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps a sailor's fid that is used when splicing rope. Interesting piece and seems to have some age. Here's a picture from google but I cannot access the web page that it is taken from. It shows various splicing tools. There are three different fids --the middle one is multifaceted and has grooved edges (can't really see how many sides it has--maybe three).

Ian.

fernando 3rd October 2016 07:03 PM

Thank you Ian. A fair suggestion, but i am afraid the hunting decor and the reduced size of the handle wouldn't meet such purpose. Yes, it must have some age; it shows some wearing.
Still it could be for some kind of splicing alright :shrug: .

russel 3rd October 2016 09:28 PM

Could it be a knife sharpener, for honing a blade as butchers do?

Rick 4th October 2016 01:29 AM

I think it's safe to say that whatever this is it has been cobbled together from disparate elements.

I can't remember seeing a curved fid (Dad did a lot of splicing) in my Old Man's ditty bag.

A hone; were they often made from wood?
Maybe it's some kind of home made burnishing tool?

The hilt looks like a hilt from an Argentine Criollo. :shrug:

russel 4th October 2016 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Materiall would not be any kind of horn; more like some hard wood

Sorry, somehow I glossed over this detail.

R

fernando 4th October 2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
... I think it's safe to say that whatever this is it has been cobbled together from disparate elements...

Possible :shrug:.

Quote:

... Maybe it's some kind of home made burnishing tool?..

Less probable :shrug:.

Quote:

... The hilt looks like a hilt from an Argentine Criollo. :shrug:

With such a hunting scene; dogs chasing a deer ? :confused:

-

fernando 4th October 2016 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

...I can't remember seeing a curved fid (Dad did a lot of splicing) in my Old Man's ditty bag....

Isn't this a fid in the sailor's knife ?

Rick 4th October 2016 08:59 PM

I think the curve may be there more to protect the owner's hand while the knife is folded up. The fid is also handy for loosening a tight or corroded shackle when the folder lacks a shackle key.

fernando 5th October 2016 11:05 AM

Noted :cool: .

Ian 5th October 2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

I think it's safe to say that whatever this is it has been cobbled together from disparate elements. ...

Yes, it looks like a home-made tool of some sort, put together from bits and pieces. That would not be unusual for a sailor's item.

Could the wood be ebony? It certainly looks very dark in the pics.

How did you find this interesting piece Fernando?

fernando 5th October 2016 02:25 PM

Thank you Ian,
I appreciate your confirming Rick's assessment that this may be a put together device; you know, he is getting old and we never know if he is sure of his senses :D :eek:. (Crossing fingers ... hoping he comprehends my sense of humour :o).
Well, the other day i met with my local fellow collector with intention to go to Braga city, to check on a cased pair of flintlock pistols that looked a bit suspicious. First thing the seller did was to show me this object in discussion and, as we both ignored what it was, he promptly offered it to me, saying that he was getting rid of the riddle, as he was transferring it to me.
Yes, it does look like ebony, "pau preto" (black wood) as we call it here.

Ian 6th October 2016 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Thank you Ian,
I appreciate your confirming Rick's assessment that this may be a put together device; you know, he is getting old and we never know if he is sure of his senses :D :eek:. ...

I know, I know :rolleyes:

Thanks for the interesting back story on this piece. A mystery indeed.

Ian.

Kmaddock 6th October 2016 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Could it be a "dibber"
a tool used in gardening? for potting plants
I attach a random picture from the net but if you google dibber you will find 100's of varieties

I taught I might as well throw this idea into the pot.
regards

Ken

fernando 6th October 2016 11:56 AM

All suggestions welcome, Ken :cool:.
Nice old example of a dibber you show us; however this, as all other styles of dibbers, is at least twice as long as my object.
Together with the curved spike and the hunting scene (repeating myself) i hardly see it as a planting device ... even for bonsai specimens ;) .

CutlassCollector 7th October 2016 11:47 AM

Great puzzle!

Staying on the hunting theme - could it be something to do with preparing the carcass after the kill.
My experience is limited in these matters but perhaps a dull edge is handy for separating the flesh from the hide during skinning to avoid cutting through the skin.

Does the handle unscrew from the wood? Maybe there is something inside.

CC

fernando 9th October 2016 01:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also thing this is some kind of tool, but i might be wrong though. My first thought was that it could be to apply the final blow on wounded (small) game, with its sharp point; my fantasy of course.
The handle is well fixed; glued, i guess.
Amazing that, only when using the flash, it shoes the brass material under the chrome finish.